Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 403006 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2019, 12:20:58 AM »
Impressive. If that was an M280 you'd be bouncing up and down like a porpoise in light air like that. the axis foil is smooth. I like the GoFoil GL 240 almost as well, now that I've learned how to get it up and flying. The foot position is completely different from the 280 (duh).

I just got a shipment of Axis stuff. Three masts, a shorter fuselage, a new 1020 to relieve the one I have patched back together, and a 440 tail. I'm going to modify the old road rash 1020 for a bit more lift and stability, I'm going to make a 1080 gullwing out of it. Now, all we need is some wind.

That is pretty interesting about your feet on the 240.  I am thinking that wing foilers may have different priorities than pumpers.
 I know that I sure want to pump as little as necessary.  On the Axis 1020 I didn't notice that any foot position change was required from the GoFoil 200.  The Axis was just much better mannered in that position.  Smooth lift with sustained cruise.  Nice!
 We have been on the East Coast for the last week and I am stoked to get back for a second day on this kit.  We have the other tail sizes arriving today as well.  We will see how those go on the smaller front wings.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 01:29:07 AM by Admin »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2019, 05:09:50 AM »
Where are you ordering your Axis foils from?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2019, 05:21:07 AM »
We went through the website.  They have been quick and awesome to work with.  https://axisfoils.com/collections/all-sup

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2019, 05:57:50 AM »
Also https://live2kite.com/

Same business. They distribute Axis.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2019, 06:20:43 AM »

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2019, 04:18:17 PM »
Just picked up an axis set with a 900 wing. Wondering which of the bigger wings you guys prefer now? 1000 or 1020? And why? What's your daily driver?

I'm probably going to put in an order for a different size mast (got 68 and 90, but want the 75 for prone foiling), and a bigger wing, just can't decide which or if I should just stick with the 900.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2019, 07:33:26 PM »
depends a lot on your weight. I like the 1020 but I'm 235.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2019, 01:12:40 AM »
Just picked up an axis set with a 900 wing. Wondering which of the bigger wings you guys prefer now? 1000 or 1020? And why? What's your daily driver?

I'm probably going to put in an order for a different size mast (got 68 and 90, but want the 75 for prone foiling), and a bigger wing, just can't decide which or if I should just stick with the 900.

How heavy are you Big?  Will this be for Winging and surf foil?  The 1020 is awesome as a lighter wind wing for Winging at my 170 lbs.  Chan uses the 920 in this same wind and she is tiny.  The 1000 needs a little more wind. 

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2019, 10:34:47 AM »
165-170ish, thinking more for with a wing. I'd use the 900 in the surf.

I'm assuming you like the 1020 better because it doesn't drop out at slow speeds like the higher aspect wings do. Was thinking the 1020 would be better when the wind is lighter, and then the 900 when its cranking. (I have a 4.2 swing) Just wanted to hear others thoughts and experiences with the 2 wings.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2019, 12:02:50 PM »

I'm assuming you like the 1020 better because it doesn't drop out at slow speeds like the higher aspect wings do. Was thinking the 1020 would be better when the wind is lighter, and then the 900 when its cranking. (I have a 4.2 swing) Just wanted to hear others thoughts and experiences with the 2 wings.

You nailed it. Both wings complement each other perfectly like that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2019, 05:58:42 PM »
I'm thrilled with the results of the Fatboy Axis. I used the 1020 today in blistering winds at Roosevelt in the Gorge (gusts to 40) because I thought using a 4.0M Duotone would push the 1020 along nicely. It did, but in the big swells I was bouncing around a lot even up on the foil, and I had to concentrate on what the foil was doing as well as trying to keep the wing under control in the gusts and trying to keep from getting wiped off the board with a big bump. I wound up coming down a lot more than I would have liked. After I was pretty thoroughly exhausted I came in and decided to do one more run with the Fatboy. Swapped it out, went back out, and ***+++NIRVANA+++****. Seriously, it was so awesome. As soon as I got pointed right and got the wing calmed down and pulling I just bent my knees and I was up. Zoomed across the river without a tap. I even managed to shuffle around on the foil a but to get the trim a little nicer.

I almost nailed a foiling jibe but it got a bit wet at the end. Got back up, flexed the knees and blasted back across the wide river. I played around a lot, turning downwind on the big bumps and riding them, then turning back and going hard upwind to regain lost ground. I overdid the upwind a couple of times and stalled out, but I was high enough to pivot the foil downwind before it came down, and then swoop to regain speed without touching down. That feels fantastic.

I'm certain what I was feeling is the same thing any 195 pound rider of similar skill level feels on a 1020. I might have gained a little roll stability in addition to more lift with my wanky gullwing design. But basically it just gets my fat ass up off the water without drama or much pumping, and I can ignore the foil and concentrate on the other fifteen things you need to think about in this sport.

When we get out of the water on days like this we just babble at each other. It's been a long time since I got this excited about mastering the basics of a sport. Foils surfing came close, but wing foiling feels like it opens the door to endless possibilities.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2019, 06:51:58 PM »

Hi Big,

We are the same weight.  It was blasting today (and completely freaking awesome).  I used the 920 and it was perfect.  I would have been getting too much lift from the 1020.  It is an incredible wing but it has its limit.  Chan was out on the 820 and I grabbed her board and took a few (failed) runs on that wing.  Neither of us are in love with the 820 yet.  I really like the 920.  The 1000 is awesome but it overlaps the 1020 quite a bit and it really wants to be powered.  It is incredible when it is relatively smooth water or when you can keep pumping it.  When it gets super choppy and the swell is big it becomes a bit more work.  Probably awesome for running downwind on swells but more work for playing in place.  I only have a few runs on the 900 so far so I can't really comment on that one.  I don't think you can go wrong with the 1020. 

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2019, 06:53:56 PM »
Bill I’m pretty much similar weight class as you, see you really like the 1020 axis front wing winging,but what rear wing are using?any comparisons to the GF 280 performance wise as that is my wing of choice usually but the axis definitely looks nice, are those masts sealed well as a few years back had a aluminum mast on one of my kite foils that leaked and trapped the water in the extrusion chambers and weighed a bit more than I’d like after a session was not a big fan of the older aluminum mast, have they eliminated that with the new axis aluminum masts?Oh what mast are using 75cm?Thanks
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2019, 06:30:34 AM »
I'm using either the 500 or the 440 Axis rear wing. I like the 440 for pumping and smooth water, the 500 is great for the crazy shit. Fatboy and 500 was the ticket yesterday (Fatboy is the 1020 extended to 1096 with no change in chord.

I sometimes get a little water into my mast, but it's a trickle, not a dump. The fittings on the Axis mast adapters is close and the mast is encased in the aluminum of the adapters. There's still a little wobble--the parts would probably stick if the clearance was a lot less--so shimming is a good idea. Most folks use beer can shims, I prefer aluminum tape which gives a full-perimeter shim and probably seals it as well. I have to use some care taking the masts out of the adapter, but the fuss is worthwhile and I don't take the mast apart often.

I'm using the 75 most of the time. I've tried the 90 and like it, but there a lot of rocks here in the gorge so I need to flip the board a lot more often and a lot further out. The shorter masts are resting comfortably in bubblewrap, I haven't used them other than a first test and them back to bubble.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 06:36:27 AM by PonoBill »

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2019, 07:52:26 PM »
I'm using either the 500 or the 440 Axis rear wing. I like the 440 for pumping and smooth water, the 500 is great for the crazy shit. Fatboy and 500 was the ticket yesterday (Fatboy is the 1020 extended to 1096 with no change in chord.

I sometimes get a little water into my mast, but it's a trickle, not a dump. The fittings on the Axis mast adapters is close and the mast is encased in the aluminum of the adapters. There's still a little wobble--the parts would probably stick if the clearance was a lot less--so shimming is a good idea. Most folks use beer can shims, I prefer aluminum tape which gives a full-perimeter shim and probably seals it as well. I have to use some care taking the masts out of the adapter, but the fuss is worthwhile and I don't take the mast apart often.

I'm using the 75 most of the time. I've tried the 90 and like it, but there a lot of rocks here in the gorge so I need to flip the board a lot more often and a lot further out. The shorter masts are resting comfortably in bubblewrap, I haven't used them other than a first test and them back to bubble.
Thanks Bill for the info looks like a good bigboy set up!
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal