Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 403048 times)

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2019, 08:37:46 PM »
Was out today on my DW 5'11"x 28" and the Axis 102 in Miami Beach so I was able to ride the wind chop and was really stable in over 20 knots of wind. Ended up eventually going on a 5 meter kite with an impulse foil so I found there isn't really anything now that I can't paddle in with the Axis foil.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2019, 09:43:23 PM »
Today was a good day. I started out on the GoFoil M280, which was working pretty well but demanded intense focus to keep it from porpoising into an overfoil or a slam-down. After a few too many overfoil faceplants I decided to switch to the Axis 1020 even though I think the 90CM mast is a bit of a handful and I haven't received my new bits yet.

The Axis is harder to get up on, but once I was up it was smooth and easy. With the 280 if I try to move either foot I'm doomed, with the axis I could fiddle around quite a bit without drama, and I was able to edge toward the middle of the board to go downwind and try jibing. Almost made it a couple of times.

Of course, I had the eventual overconfidence slam down. I was up on a starboard tack, where I still have a lot less control than is desirable. Just as I was congratulating myself for my mastery of the starboard tack I went out of control, foolishly tried to save it, and wound up diving off the board into my wing, smacking myself briskly in the mouth with the boom. I floated around a bit, recovering, did one more run across the river and called it good since the wind was getting punky. Of course as soon as I had taken all my stuff apart the wind picked back up. Oh, well, tomorrow.

Admin was showing some style, with lots of air between his board and the water. He did a run that was reminiscent of a stone skipping across the water. But we both made serious progress today and were babbling about our progress, complete with arm gestures, circles and arrows.

Chan has determined she needs a full set of Axis stuff. Today's success might push their combined gear bill into five figures.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2019, 10:23:08 PM »
Pono, you need a shorter masts for sure. I have the 68 cm for normal riding and then the 45 cm for shallow breaks. Wasn't sure if the 45 cm would be too short but I can still pump it a bit, just not as easily to pump as the longer mast and I have to do a bunch more little pumps to equal one or two pumps from the longer mast.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2019, 03:21:19 AM »
Bill, I’m surprised you haven’t cut and retapped that mast already.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 03:49:27 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2019, 03:34:07 AM »
OK, I finally got a session on this Axis kit...and it's love.  What a difference.  3 hour session and I didn't want to quit.  So freaking fun.

So, how do I shim these adapters on?  Dwight, did you do a "U" with your cut beer can or something else?

U didn’t work for me. I cut pieces for each side. Put them in the base. Made them tall and sticking out. Slid mast in and hammered. Trimmed excess aluminum sticking out with carpet knife. I think my Axis only needed aluminum one side. My Slingshot needed it both sides.

When I did this trick to my Slingshot base, one aluminum piece slid down and under the mast, but still smashed flat. I had a little aluminum blocking the bolt hole. But no worries because the aluminum is like paper. Stuck the knife in the bolt hole and dug the aluminum blockage out.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2019, 03:35:31 AM »
Axis 1020, Standard Fuselage, 500 tail, 68 Mast.  I spent the first half hour mostly surface bound and feeling very tentative but over the course of the next hours I started to relax into it and trust what it wanted to do.  The first thing that I noticed is the dramatic lessening of drag.  Even when surface bound this feels so sleek.  It picks up surface speed really well.  The increase in lift is very evident over the Maliko 200 and at at first this felt like it would be too much.  But that was thinking about it from my old foil perspective where a lot of lift = scary shit happening.  The Axis setup lifts so smoothly and leveling off is much more of an unconscious deal than a dramatic requirement.  The best part is that it feels like this foil increases the size of your dance-floor.  Minor missteps are not catastrophes.  That takes some getting used to but I love it.  I am slowly getting over my Post Aggressive Foil Syndrome. 

We did place another Axis order last night with a third wing for Chan (an 820 to add to the 920 and 1020) as well as enough kit to make three wing, fuselage, stabilizer steps that can stay assembled.  Those travel really nicely.  We keep masts on the boards so we will usually be two screws away from ready.  Bye, bye mallet. 

Bill and I had our first foiling pass-by on opposite tacks.  That must be a good sign.  We were both yelling something into the wind.  I think Bill was screaming, "Ipswich Watermelon" and I'm pretty sure I was saying, "I'm happy".
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 03:39:58 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2019, 06:29:41 AM »
Bill, I’m surprised you haven’t cut and retapped that mast already.  ;D

I thought of it, but decided it might be useful someday.

Admin--It was indeed "Ipswich Watermelon?" But it was a question. And I thought you said "I'm sappy" which didn't seem to merit further comment.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2019, 09:27:33 AM »
Found some more video from the first day with the 5m and Axis. You can see how easy it pumped back into the air.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B11boWfHpY0/?igshid=13j0m7irbms8r

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2019, 09:08:55 PM »
You can imagine what I have to do at 235 pounds to get up with a four-meter. And why I hate your guts right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB1a49TqWQ8

Hilly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2019, 12:36:39 AM »
You can imagine what I have to do at 235 pounds to get up with a four-meter. And why I hate your guts right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB1a49TqWQ8
I have the 4m and at 105kg with the Armstrong 2400 it gets up super easy.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2019, 02:24:48 AM »
At this point I should introduce the BDF (Babcock Drag Factor).  It is a multiplier that should be applied to any undamaged product  in relation to that same product being owned and used by Bill.  On his Axis Foils I am setting the BDF at 1.5 to account for the fact that it has flown from his truck bed at highway speed and is now covered in silver tape which he casually smooths back down each time before launching.  One guy came up to him on the beach while we were rigging and (smiling) asked Bill, "Watcha got under there?" :).  His 4 meter Duotone looks now like a hobo's hanky.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 02:28:16 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2019, 04:08:22 AM »
I already feel 5m is NOT too big. What was that B.S. about 4m being the only size we need.  >:(

Where are the 6 and 7 meter wings  >:(

I just want to float down wind and feel like 80 lb Banzai Grom
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 04:52:07 AM by Dwight (DW) »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2019, 06:06:56 AM »
At this point I should introduce the BDF (Babcock Drag Factor).  It is a multiplier that should be applied to any undamaged product  in relation to that same product being owned and used by Bill.  On his Axis Foils I am setting the BDF at 1.5 to account for the fact that it has flown from his truck bed at highway speed and is now covered in silver tape which he casually smooths back down each time before launching.  One guy came up to him on the beach while we were rigging and (smiling) asked Bill, "Watcha got under there?" :).  His 4 meter Duotone looks now like a hobo's hanky.

Ridiculous overstatement. Two patches and a new bladder. My hankies look MUCH worse than that.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2019, 01:20:36 PM »
That big (1020cm) Axis wing really is awesome for learning to wing ding. I have faster and better turning wings, but nothing this easy for getting the hang of wing dinging.

This is day 3. This day was less work on the arms. I guess my feel for the Duotone is improving enough, the strain is going down a lot.

We are having post hurricane off shore wind. So I’m doing some pretend wave riding in the Banana River. Wind is 12-17 mph. 5m wing.

https://youtu.be/wdsJMnvdJp4
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 01:31:26 PM by Dwight (DW) »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2019, 10:36:47 PM »
Impressive. If that was an M280 you'd be bouncing up and down like a porpoise in light air like that. the axis foil is smooth. I like the GoFoil GL 240 almost as well, now that I've learned how to get it up and flying. The foot position is completely different from the 280 (duh).

I just got a shipment of Axis stuff. Three masts, a shorter fuselage, a new 1020 to relieve the one I have patched back together, and a 440 tail. I'm going to modify the old road rash 1020 for a bit more lift and stability, I'm going to make a 1080 gullwing out of it. Now, all we need is some wind.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal