Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 101268 times)

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2020, 11:55:51 PM »
Corona virus yeah , I pre ordered the s1010 in November....still not sure when I will get it.

Did anyone weigh the new and the old fuselage ?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2020, 02:47:47 AM »
Hang in there for that 1010.  It is really cool.  Grab the 460 tail with it as well.  It is an eye opener.

I had another session on the 1000 with the 460.  That is an outstanding combination.  I also had another very light wind session yesterday with the big 1020 and I put 460 tail on it on the longer standard fuselage.  Amazing.  Kind of like increasing wheel base but going to a single rear wheel on a pivot.  It is crazy what 3 inches of fuselage and a seemingly small tail wing change can make. 

I am having a ball geeking out on this stuff but Chantalle had to tell me to leave her gear alone :)

I asked they guys at Axis for more details on all of their tail wings and they are going to put something together for us.  They are a really responsive crew and I dig how they live this stuff. 

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 02:53:58 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #182 on: March 28, 2020, 04:43:11 PM »
I got in an amazing 2 hour solo session today.  My first on the new 76 mast.  I was using the 1010, 460, short fuselage and the Swing 6.0.  This setup is outrageously slippery both on the surface and on the foil.  There is so little drag.  It is immediately evident when you get any forward motion.  It was super light when I launched (actually, a new low for me).  The smoothing at the mast base (and the lack of all ridges, bumps, joints, pockets) make more difference than I had imagined.  What I hadn't considered is that the mast would feel noticeably faster when flying...but it does.  That must be due to the significant taper.  The carbon mast progressively tapers to much less thickness and width at the fuselage where the aluminum mast is constant over its entire length.  Once you are up and flying there is a lot less meat in the water and it is very noticeable.  What a feeling.  Does mast taper provide extra lift?  There is a sensation of extra lift but possibly that is reduced drag that I am feeling.  I am not sure but I am stoked about it.  I am 168 lbs right now but I didn't notice any reduction in stiffness while winging.  I want to get us set up so we are 100% on these carbon masts.  Damn, I am going to need a couple new fuselages.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:28:00 AM by Admin »