Author Topic: Typhoon #9  (Read 13975 times)

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Typhoon #9
« on: August 12, 2019, 11:58:55 PM »
Again, not my best effort filming...but I'm trying here.

A segment on my surf chariot, a bit on trying to film POV, and then some surfing.

Two locations in this video. First spot was still shallow and ledging. Lots of people standing around contemplating, so my buddy Adam and I charged it. Got bounced hard a couple of times, reef rash on the foot. All of this footage was from the nose cam. Very hairy wave with a lot of wind. Was barely able to control the board on the chop, and it really wanted to take flight, so wasn't ready to mess with a new camera set up...sorry to those who hate nose mount. As soon as we started taking waves, about five other SUP's paddled out, three quickly retreating back to the beach :-)  Then came the prone surfers. Everyone was really cool, but too crowded for my comfort.

We moved to a different spot, with a lot bigger wave, but better wind protection. Moved the camera to the helmet mount, but the GoPro was low on battery, so I only filmed a set from the channel, then filmed about two or three rides towards the end. After four hours in the water, and I was really beat at that point.

The POV footage from the helmet makes wave size look incredibly small. However, many people seem to like this angle better. I'd appreciate it if people would let me know what they think, and prefer. I'll try to tailor filming to what people want to see. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu7efhlgx-4
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 12:11:24 AM by OkiWild »

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Typhoon #9
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 03:44:22 AM »
Nice video. I enjoy watching your videos. I also like the commentary.

I like both the nose and helmet cams. Why? Simply because I like "details".

With the nose cam below.

Some of the details I watch for is the way you move both feet on your board. Also the way you use your paddle for bracing. You can't get that from a helmet cam. And how you lean your upper body to carve and turn your board depending on what the wave gives you in height, speed and shape of the wave.

Now for the helmet cam below.

The helmet cam lets me see how early you get ready for a wave. By that I mean when you start your turn from having your board pointed at a wave, to turning 180 degrees and paddling fast enough to catch and surf the wave.

Also, I like to see the wave you're riding nearest to your shoulder depending on how the wave is breaking, right of left. I also like the scenery in front of you and also it lets me see how many people are surfing whether they be prone surfers or sup surfers.

This is why I like both the nose and helmet cams.

And as always, thanks for sharing your videos.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 09:27:25 AM »
thx oki--love the truck tour, and the shots of the distant peak from the shore--love the surf vids too, for sure, but the perspective from the beach somehow makes me more interested in the first-person gopro vids--keep em coming--thx for the effort
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 10:25:04 AM »
Great stuff. I'd like to see more of Okinawa. I'm sure you take it for granite, but you could do an around the island tour and I'd watch the whole thing. Your dog has to be in it too. I think just switching up POV in the same video is what keeps it more interesting. I even use footage I shot from my phone in some of the videos I've done. I could tell from the doubled up peaks that there was some shallow reef right where that A frame was forming. It even had some slab like thickness to it. That was fun to watch dude!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 12:40:52 PM »
Good stuff!! It would be great if you could remind us which board you are on in each video. I remember that you have more than one Blue Planet, but I can never remember exactly which models, so it would be good to have a reminder as we are watching the vids. Thanks.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 01:20:15 PM »
Keep’em comin. Really enjoy going for a surf with you like this and thanks for the effort.

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 04:44:10 PM »

I have (had) a lot of hobbies. Heavy into motorsports, heavy into the outdoors... Building and calibrating drag and drift racing engines (I also own two Toyota hybrids, and specialize in repairing Toyota and Honda hybrids), motocross and enduro racing, sea kayak expeditioning, surfing, hiking, camping in the wilderness for weeks at a shot... One day I woke up and said "enough is enough." I decided to stick with everything "outdoors," and ditch everything "motorsports."

With all three kids out of the house (youngest two still at university), I found that I have a lot of time...so I surf...a lot. I found that the filming thing is a lot of fun, too. So I decided to give that a go, too. 

I appreciate the comments. Filming myself is really weird, but I'm getting used to it. Positive feedback really makes it worth it.

Board this day was a BP Ninja Warrior. 8'10"x29x116L round-pintail. GL2 quad fin setup.

Some pics of my posse for TallDude.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 07:28:43 PM »
Those are some beautiful dogs Oki. Made me smile :)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 07:47:12 PM »
Board this day was a BP Ninja Warrior. 8'10"x29x116L round-pintail. GL2 quad fin setup.

These are the details I wish more people would list in their videos or posts.  Thanks for the added details.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 07:51:31 AM »
Well done Oki!

Really nice surfing... good solid video, lots of interesting stuff  :)

I am one who has always appreciated the nose cam, for the vantage.... Wave, board, surfer, feet, body posture etc.
Believe me.... I am stoked not to use mine anymore, cuz it's not a pretty angle of my belly.... but I still see value in the view.

I like the Hat Cam view the best because it lays out the playing field..... wave, board, action, so the viewer can feel more like a part of the session.
Yeah... size disappears in that view, but you can do as you did.... and show the waves as you paddle out.

I agree with including the board info.
Since my very first video..... I have always included the brand, model, L & W, liters, my age and weight.
The only reason I began making vids because useful, real world info on boards was almost none existent.... especially from the average user.
Since I was trying to make the vids easy to find on Youtube, for all the other big old guys..... I always included brand and model in my title.

That's still the reason many people search Youtube SUP vids...... they want info on boards and equipment, so I try to make it easy for them to find the gear they are interested in.
I am very deliberate in the "tags" that I choose as well.
For example, in yours... I would use the tag Okinawa, to help folks looking for stuff related to your location.

Now I don't use the brand and model in the title as much, since I realized I could always "tag" the video with that info.

Why do I do all that?.... because there are still precious few SUP video's out there.... and people constantly tell me how much they appreciate the videos and information.

I also really appreciated the tour of your van and equipment.... very useful, and fun to see.

Keep the videos coming and yes.... include a tour of Okinawa  :)

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 05:46:14 PM »
Thanks Creek.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 06:07:02 PM »
Some quality "Oke" there! Lovin' that water color and the storm clouds. And you're killin' it on the BP.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 04:03:36 AM »
Thanks Cook!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 08:01:21 AM »
Great video.  I fast forwarded to the surfing.

You could tell from the speed of the nose mounted footage, a bit herky jerky, but that was an indication of how fast things were moving.  Fast means big, much bigger than the GoPro gives justice.

I used to spend a lot of time making videos.  I would typically put in 3 hours editing for every minute of footage upgraded gear and computers to handle 720P to 1080P to 4K . . .

Then the world got flooded with a bunch of videos (mostly with NO effort put into editing) and people started watching for 25 seconds on their phones.  Now I have a bunch of un-edited footage.  Great for stills.  Maybe the stoke for editing will return as the kids grow up and out.  I do appreciate the effort thank you.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:03:57 AM by Beasho »

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 03:55:18 PM »

You could tell from the speed of the nose mounted footage, a bit herky jerky, but that was an indication of how fast things were moving.  Fast means big, much bigger than the GoPro gives justice.

Thanks Beasho.

The wind was around to 30 knots side-off into the right. I was really disappointed with the footage... What I thought was going to be a great clip...turns into garbage. Something new to me with SUP is how much more you have to be tuned into what's going on, and pre-plan what you're going to do, especially when the wind and chop is up. Knowing how much the board will take, and how much you have to slow down before initiating a turn, etc. The drop in at 5:01 was so helter-skelter, as the board was completely flying. You can see it flutter left-right-left, and even the prone surfers were hooting it...but on video, it just looks out of shape...LOL Maybe should slow that kind of footage down. Hopefully, editing is improving a little every time. Thanks for the feedback.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal