Author Topic: Its official (Im a kook)  (Read 25994 times)

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Its official (Im a kook)
« on: August 12, 2019, 05:48:37 PM »
Took my new wide aquatic out for its maiden voyage today, all I can say is, it was a very humbling experience. I caught maybe three waves which I actually rode, and face planted at least a half dozen times. Spent a shit load of time swimming and falling, (that really tires you out fast). At least the waters warm. ;) Im going to take this as a new challenge and I will stick with it until I get it right. Im going to give mad props to all you sup surfers who got this sport nailed, you truly are my heroes. Until next time KOOKIE out ;)
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

Andy Pon

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Its official (Im a kook)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 06:34:55 PM »
Nice going you're on the way. I'm in the same boat, good on flat water, shitty in the waves. However, determined as well.

I'm looking for my own surf SUP to start on. What made you choose the Aquatic?  Looks like the best deal out there.

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 07:18:58 PM »
I was there 2 years ago. Lots of resources online to help not to mention right here. My only advice is to fall backwards.. I bruised a rib when I first started out face planting.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 09:24:17 PM »
When surfing, I'm always a kook. I should have it tattooed on my forehead.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 09:50:10 PM »
 ;D I remember taking a 12'6 touring board for my 1st sup surf and it was like the wrong tool and kook buck off/slam city  ;D
keep at it because its fun!

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 11:32:38 PM »
;D I remember taking a 12'6 touring board for my 1st sup surf and it was like the wrong tool and kook buck off/slam city  ;D
keep at it because its fun!

First SUP I ever stood on is a 12'6" flat water race board. It was also the first SUP I ever bought, and the first SUP I ever surfed. Now 8 boards deep, I still surf it. So much fun it's ridiculous.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 07:32:25 AM »
Waves can be humbling and SUPER FUN!
And doing it on substandard equipment (Like we all did back in the day) makes it even harder
Take the advice you get here and other places get the "right" (NOT NESSARILY THE sTATE OF THE aRT cARBON BOARD) EQUIPMENT (INCL PADDLE)
yOU'LL LEARN FASTER, LESS PAINFULLY, ANDHAVE MORE FUN.

Just my 2 cents
JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 07:59:58 AM »
Nice going you're on the way. I'm in the same boat, good on flat water, shitty in the waves. However, determined as well.

I'm looking for my own surf SUP to start on. What made you choose the Aquatic?  Looks like the best deal out there.
I Spoke with Dave Boehne (Infinity owner shaper) and told him what I was looking for and the wide aquatic is what he suggested, I was against it at first especially at 10'4 x 32'. I was wanting something more performance minded, Boy am I glad I listened to him, also got some feedback from other board members here who said the same thing. Its a true surf shape (Long Board) designed by legendary shaper Steve Boehne, plus at 895.00 its a good deal to start with. Good Luck

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 08:01:51 AM »
I was there 2 years ago. Lots of resources online to help not to mention right here. My only advice is to fall backwards.. I bruised a rib when I first started out face planting.
Hit my rigs twice yesterday lots of pain today hope they're only bruised, but damn they hurt :(

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 08:06:46 AM »
Waves can be humbling and SUPER FUN!
And doing it on substandard equipment (Like we all did back in the day) makes it even harder
Take the advice you get here and other places get the "right" (NOT NESSARILY THE sTATE OF THE aRT cARBON BOARD) EQUIPMENT (INCL PADDLE)
yOU'LL LEARN FASTER, LESS PAINFULLY, ANDHAVE MORE FUN.

Just my 2 cents
JimK
Extreme Windsurfing
Thats exactly why I bought the Infinity great quality

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 09:24:14 AM »
Hit my rigs twice yesterday lots of pain today hope they're only bruised, but damn they hurt :(
There is a natural tendency for most if not all people new to sup to try to grab their boards as they fall. It's like raising your paddle over your head when you start to lose your balance. Both are the exact opposite of what you should do. When you start to fall, fall away from your board. All it will do is hurt you if you try to stay near it. When you start to lose your balance, bend your knees and drop your paddle low to the water like and outrigger. Swimming is part of surfing. When I first started surfing, leashes didn't exist yet. You lose your board, you swim to shore. Over and over. The only way you learn is to get wet. Swimming a lot is good, beat up ribs is bad. Keep at it. You'll have so much fun, that you'll wonder why you spent all that time paddling in circle in the harbor.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 11:17:49 AM »
Hit my ribs twice yesterday lots of pain today hope they're only bruised, but damn they hurt :(

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 11:26:14 AM »
Thanks for the tips TallDude, hopefully with practice and a little patience ill get this sup surfing thing. BTW glad I didn't spend the money on a higher performance board like the new deal I wanted, defiantly something to work towards ;)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:30:36 AM by SouthCounty »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 11:36:51 AM »
Thanks for the tips TallDude, hopefully with practice and a little patience ill get this sup surfing thing. BTW glad I didn't spend the money on a higher performance board like the new deal I wanted, defiantly something to work towards ;)
Practicing sup surfing and standing in the lineup will also help with your open ocean distance paddling. They build on each other.

BTW, here's how you add a quote. Click the quote button, then post one line down from the last [quote looking thing]. Make sure you scroll down to the last [ quote, because the [quote view window is limited to about 10 lines by default. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:42:06 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 05:21:48 PM »
Thanks now how do you delete a post that you make by mistake?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal