Author Topic: Best surf paddles for the buck  (Read 2962 times)

SpaceRacer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Best surf paddles for the buck
« on: July 23, 2019, 01:20:46 PM »
Hi, I am an intermediate SUP surfer who is currently using a Surfstow SL50. First off, know any thing about this paddle?  And if I were to upgrade, what would be a good paddle for the buck?  Thanks!

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Best surf paddles for the buck
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 01:25:39 AM »
You’ll need to tell us how much you are willing to spend (take the number you first thought of and double it), and where you live.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 05:32:47 AM »
S-R, The most expensive one you can afford with a respected name ..a website and videos to back it up. I'm sure there are lotsa names that will be mentioned here, but you might also want to do a Youtube search. My impression, paddles are more sophisticated than 90% of us that use them.

You might add: gender/height/weight/today's skill level  ...and race, surf or casual use. It is not a simple subject.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 06:06:58 AM »
Best paddles for the BUCK $$$?

Chinook Thrust $199 100% carbon Great design, and a SOLID company (been making carbon components for DECADES) and solid guys.

Performance wise they are very close to KeNalu's Which IMHO are the best on the market

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

SpaceRacer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 06:13:28 AM »
OK thanks. I am 6’1”, 185lbs, am on a 161L Naish Mana and live in NJ. I have been doing some research and a local shop is recommending the Werner Ripstick 89 2-Piece. Seems like a solid paddle from the reviews but I wouldn’t know.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 07:03:44 AM »
Rip Stick 79....16oz... Love it

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 07:26:06 AM »
There aren’t a lot of surf specific paddles. Kialoa makes one. The Werner Rip Stick 89 is a great paddle.  I have the 89.  I have no experience with the 79.  Surfside likes his. I can easily see how smaller can work because of the super grabby blade face design.
Why is a two piece being recommended?  Mine is a two piece, for length downwinding and shortened for surfing. But take the downwinding out of the equation and probably no need for adjustable. Plus lighter and less expensive.
Another two piece caveat, I think Werner moved from a sliding tube with the small spring button clicking into holes method of adjustment, to a handle lever lock. I personally did not like the feel of the lever lock handle because the ends of the ‘T’’ are hollow, and my thumb kept going there. Related, I personally like having some ‘T’ in the handle. Either full Tahitian (Kialoa, Naish) or modified (Werner).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:35:11 AM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 08:00:16 AM »
Hippostick Blur model.....skip forward to 2:45
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 08:22:41 AM »
It's interesting, Dave B collaborated with Danny Ching on the Hippo - Blur.  More recently he has collaborated with Black Project on the Whiplash (84sq blade) paddle.  But, that seems to be an all-rounder and not necessarily a surf specific paddle. 

Been thinking about picking up a Whiplash for the surf, but recently repurposed a Kialoa Hulu race paddle (87sq blade), cut down for the surf (head height for me).  It's working really well.  The 7 1/8" blade makes it easier for me to get a vertical paddle stroke. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal