Author Topic: Gorge Pallde Challenge--should be epic  (Read 26791 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Gorge Pallde Challenge--should be epic
« on: August 10, 2019, 06:00:47 PM »
Anyone coming to Hood River for the Gorge Paddle Challenge--be excited. It looks like next week is going to be epic. The long term forecast, which is generally iffy, calls for a stable offshore high pressure and heat in the desert. The primo setup for hairdryer westerlies.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Gorge Paddle Challenge--should be epic
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 11:01:08 AM »
So much for the long term forecast. The river is a lake today and probably will be tomorrow. Actually it's always a lake sine there's a dam downstream, so the lake is a lake. The gods of wind and water are fucking with me for my presumption.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Gorge Pallde Challenge--should be epic
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 11:24:30 AM »
mother nature can be tough on one's self-esteem!!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 01:43:17 PM »
Racing? Do people still do that? :)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 02:21:11 PM »
looking forward to the vids and go crazy  ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 05:20:23 PM »
Most of my vids will be of my battery test container. I might run a camera on it in case it goes boom. Lots of opportunity in there.

This is my battery/solar power system test container, strategically located a long walk from my shop and the GMC motor home that will eventually get it's house power from it. You might think this is excessively cautious, and if you do, I won't be taking any advice from you.

On the roof is potentially 930 watts of PV. I say potentially since I planned to connect them in series, but that triggers an overvoltage on my MMPT controller, so I'm only using two. If I get nutty I'll add a fourth panel and do 2S2P, but right now it's 620 watts at 82 Voc.

Inside are two Tesla Model S 100D battery modules and a silly number of LiFe cells. I initially planned to build my own batteries, but after dinking around with a lot of BMS's I decided my designs weren't ready for prime time and bought two big Tesla modules. By comparison these modules look like they were teleported from 2100 while my BMS rocks like it's 1990.

Complementing the Tesla modules is an EVTV Model S controller. If you look at the cables you see I'm bringing a Vulcan cannon to a knife fight. This thing can manage 63 module. I'm probably good with two. But that whole burning up in the RV thing seems to justify the expense, even if it is kind of eye-watering.

The big box 'o BMS's.

Yup, those are bandit Chinese 18650's, the kind that initiate cosmetic surgery on the faces of Vapers everywhere. Suitably ensconced in a fireproof safe. Of course they don't test these things for a fire on the inside.

There's a lot more to go in here. The 6000 watt inverter, some contactors, a bit of wiring, and the air conditioner I replaced on the RV on the container roof as a load. I'll set it all up and let it rip until I'm ready to install it, which will probably be eight months from now.

I'm also building a seriously stout steel box that will go in a conveniently empty area of the frame. Total weight will be about 250 pounds, which isn't so bad for 10.6 KWH.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 05:26:02 PM by PonoBill »

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 09:53:56 PM »
whats going on PonoBill?  :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 10:01:15 PM »
Bored. No wind. It's always dangerous.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal