Author Topic: Go pro Mount advice  (Read 15601 times)

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Go pro Mount advice
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 07:50:23 PM »
One good thing I'll say about the board nose mount, is that it's a great learning tool to play back and see what your feet are doing, where an how you're standing on the board, etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 03:32:08 AM »
I agree that the nose mount is a great learning or teaching tool.
So easy to analyze foot work and paddle handling.
Very revealing and helpful.
Also a great diet aid. 😵

I can’t link my vid from my phone.
“Action can hat mount”
I’ll link it later today.
Shows view and how to make it.
Stupid simple.

For a paddle mount, I just used the seat post clamp from the back refectorbon my bike. Nothing else needed. Super light and minimalistic
Just place the single tab at the bottom of the GoPro between the opening in the reflector mount and secure with the GoPro bolt.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 09:39:47 AM »
I agree that the nose mount is a great learning or teaching tool.
So easy to analyze foot work and paddle handling.
Very revealing and helpful.
Also a great diet aid. 😵

I can’t link my vid from my phone.
“Action can hat mount”
I’ll link it later today.
Shows view and how to make it.
Stupid simple.

For a paddle mount, I just used the seat post clamp from the back refectorbon my bike. Nothing else needed. Super light and minimalistic
Just place the single tab at the bottom of the GoPro between the opening in the reflector mount and secure with the GoPro bolt.
[/quote

Cant quite picture that so if you get a chance...

supthecreek

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 02:46:56 PM »
Hi toolate,

I am semilate to reply.... been offline for a few days  :)

It had been a long time since I used my paddlecam..... apparently I missed a part  ::)

I used a standard GoPro deck mount to attach the cam to the Bike reflector mount.
pretty light and strong.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 03:31:20 PM »
I used a standard GoPro deck mount to attach the cam to the Bike reflector mount.
pretty light and strong.
I like the way that looks, Creek! Seems a coupla notches better than the old handlebar mount.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 03:40:32 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 11:10:01 PM »
I settled on this. Price was right and it works well so far.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K2NR2GN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Question: it seems that when using a paddle mount you need to either know if you will be surfing rights or lefts or flip your paddle around when on the opposite foot? Other wise the video is upside down. And watching the paddling portion of hte videos is definitely NO FUN.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2019, 07:20:26 AM »
I settled on this. Price was right and it works well so far.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K2NR2GN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Question: it seems that when using a paddle mount you need to either know if you will be surfing rights or lefts or flip your paddle around when on the opposite foot? Other wise the video is upside down. And watching the paddling portion of hte videos is definitely NO FUN.
That mount looks good. I hold my paddle the same way regardless of which way I'm going or which hand it's in, so I don't see the issue. Even If I were to go switchfoot it wouldn't change. I agree that the paddling part is useless with the paddle mount, so a second head, chest, or nose mount camera would make for a more interesting video. A second POV is always better when you are editing. If you notice in the paddle mount videos I've done (if you one of the handful other than my family to watch ::) ) that I edited each scene to right when I've caught the wave and quit paddling. I have an old Hero2 that works perfect, I'm thinking about using it on my chest mount. All of my original videos were done with my chest mount. When I would take off on a wave I would twist the chest mount so it was almost under my arm pit. It would video down the line that way. I never fell on it and damaged my chest, board, or camera with the chest mount. The kook hat would be better choice if I were shorter. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2019, 12:45:40 PM »
I have thought the same thing about the two views. A POV mount and the paddle mount would edit together for a really nice vid.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2019, 03:15:31 PM »
what do folks use to store the camera and mount while surfing assuming you might not want a paddle mount for the whole session?

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 03:36:26 PM »
what do folks use to store the camera and mount while surfing assuming you might not want a paddle mount for the whole session?
I usually start with paddle mount for about an hour and then put it on the nose mount so this way I get footage from both povs
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2019, 05:28:08 PM »
I usually start with paddle mount for about an hour and then put it on the nose mount so this way I get footage from both povs
The swing weight is actually not that bad. After about 20 minutes I forget about it. The closer it is to your hands the less you notice the weight. I just leave it on my paddle the whole time.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2019, 05:43:07 PM »
The swing weight is actually not that bad. After about 20 minutes I forget about it. The closer it is to your hands the less you notice the weight. I just leave it on my paddle the whole time.
The swing weight from you, TallDude, is exponentially greater than any average free standing human!  :P 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal