Author Topic: Go pro Mount advice  (Read 15604 times)

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Go pro Mount advice
« on: August 10, 2019, 05:12:51 PM »
Simple question but what is the go Pro mount called that plugs into the nose of my board (Jimmy Lewis)?

And what do folks like best for handle mounts?

Any other favorite mounts? Helmet?

Thanks

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Go pro Mount advice
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 06:25:14 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/NAVISAFE-Gopro-Mount-Navimount-Light/dp/B01NBYEKKB/ref=asc_df_B01NBYEKKB/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312128389336&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2805347939043660745&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031534&hvtargid=pla-569330081464&psc=1

I like different mounts for different situations. I'll never do a hemet mount because I'm too tall. I'll bust it off on something. You got to switch up your POV's. Not a fan of the nose of the board, again because I'm too tall. You just see my waist and knees. My new fav for surfing is the paddle shaft mount. For skiing I like the chest mount. For hiking and distance paddling I like the Creek Kook Hat mount.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 07:40:50 PM »
what sort of handle mount do you recommend ?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 07:51:10 PM »
This is my cheapy mount. I just drilled some holes in a stick-on base mount that comes with the GoPro. I wrap some electrical tape around the paddle shaft (not shown in the picture, I added it after) and zip-tie it each time I want to use it. Then just cut it off after. I mount it high enough so I don't hit the board with a deep paddle stroke. I've actually never hit the board with this setup. The zip-ties stick out less than on of those handle bar mounts.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 07:52:44 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 08:14:01 PM »
Nice paddle mount, TD! I'm still bicycle handle bar mount. Seems to be on there strong. I really tightened it up. With the Session5 cube style cam it's nice and small w/out a whole lotta swing weight. I mount it closer to the blade though it looks like. This is a pretty old picture from when I first tried it.

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 08:30:55 PM »
The GoPro zip tie mount is made for that type of application. 
I tried, but failed to get a picture.  However, it was easy to look up.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 02:52:45 AM »
Videos from board mounted cameras are really boring to watch. The paddle mount or Creeks kook hat mount are the best.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 04:36:04 AM »
Way to improvise guys!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 08:28:49 AM »
I did want to add that the closer you mount the GoPro to your hands up the shaft, the less you notice the swing weight. I mounted mine 12 inches up the shaft from where the paddle blade glues into the shaft. With my paddle that is about 33 inches from the end of the blade. After a while I don't even notice the extra paddle weight. 
It's not overhead to me!

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 11:49:14 AM »
This is my cheapy mount. I just drilled some holes in a stick-on base mount that comes with the GoPro. I wrap some electrical tape around the paddle shaft (not shown in the picture, I added it after) and zip-tie it each time I want to use it. Then just cut it off after. I mount it high enough so I don't hit the board with a deep paddle stroke. I've actually never hit the board with this setup. The zip-ties stick out less than on of those handle bar mounts.

Talldude:
 do you think that stick on base could be heated and curved to fit better?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 12:20:57 PM »
I don't think you could bend or curve it enough without messing up the GoPro clip slide track. It doesn't matter that it sticks out a little. It's a rounded surface as far as the base goes. What I did was create a half-round channel out of foam. I used a scrap piece of deck pad and another piece of upholstery foam I had laying around. I carved the flute in the deck pad with an exacto blade. I used the two-way stick tape that was on the GoPro base mount to attach the foam pieces.
It's not overhead to me!

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 03:10:30 PM »
good point: thanks.
need to find some high density foam.

Surprised no one is making something like this?

Why do you like it better than handlebar mount?

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 04:05:32 PM »
Videos from board mounted cameras are really boring to watch. The paddle mount or Creeks kook hat mount are the best.

Agreed. However, GoPro in Superview makes waves look really small. From the nose mount, well overhead looks to be about shoulder, and POV mount (hat, bite, whatever) makes rather large waves look tiny and flat. Nothing you can do about it, but it still drives me nuts!!

The bite mount is out. My first problem with it is that it takes too much attention for me to use. I find myself actually paying attention to the camera angle, and moving my head and body to "get the shot." That and I took a big wipeout last week, and it broke my (fake from an old motorcycle accident when I was 17) front teeth out, costing me $800 to repair. So I came up with the helmet cam this week, in a version that doesn't look like a big dorky antennae sticking off the top of my head...LOL  Double overhead looks head high, but I was able to just turn it on and forget it. Plus able to film others by just looking at them.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 04:51:19 PM »
Here's my Heavy Duty FCS hat GoPro Kook-hat mount. It works good for distance paddling for me, but do to my excessive height you can't even see my short sup surf boards. It looks light I'm just flying over the water with no board and no wave. On a longboard you can see my board.

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,34006.msg386053.html#msg386053

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:18:59 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 05:05:53 PM »
good point: thanks.
need to find some high density foam.

Surprised no one is making something like this?

Why do you like it better than handlebar mount?
The handlebar mounts cost money, and adds more weight. You need the swivel mount style which seem bigger and make the camera stand off even higher. Might be a good thing? I haven't tried one.

Here are some samples. I don't like those screws sticking out, and not sure if these fit a paddle shaft diameter?  The vise type clamps could damage your paddle shaft as well.
It's not overhead to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal