Author Topic: Wing Size???  (Read 27909 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Wing Size???
« on: August 06, 2019, 07:22:15 PM »
I’m definitely getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these. At first I will not be on a foil. My plan is to get a wing and then get used to it and the wind on a regular SUP, as I’ve not done much in wind previously. I’m hoping at some point to graduate to a foil, but that won’t be right away.

One of my concerns, is what size wing to get. I am leaning towards the Slingshot Slingwing, but from what I can see it only comes in one size, that being 4.2 meters. However, at the lake I live on, we don’t get the kind of wind conditions a lot of you get. I’d say our wind in the summer averages between 15 km. per hour and 20 km. per hour. So that would be between 9.3 miles per hour and 12.4 miles per hour. This reviewer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JOFUHAXbDg)

says you need approx. 18 miles per hour to get the Slingwing up on foil. And on the F-One website, in determining the correct size F-One wing to get, for their 4.2 meter wing they say you need wind speeds between 15 knots and 30 knots, which I believe equates to 17.2 miles per hour and 34.5 miles per hour.

Again, I don’t plan on being on a foil right away, but I hope to at some point. It looks to me, from the information I can find, that a 4.2 meter wing is going to be too small for my conditions. And if this is the case, it would rule out the Slingwing.

Does it matter that I’m a smaller guy (I’m 5’ 8” tall and weigh 150 pounds)? Given my smaller size, can I get away with a 4.2 meter wing? Or does the size of the individual not count for much?

You might also note from another thread I started that having a window is important to me, so that really narrows the options I have for different wings.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 07:24:42 PM by Quickbeam »
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wing Size???
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 09:43:13 PM »
I think windows are really important, so get the slingwing then. Some beginners don’t understand how to use the windows but when you get more dialed in you will use them.
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 02:44:54 AM »
Hi Quick,

Your weight matters a lot.  We had light conditions when we started yesterday (probably 8-12 with some real lulls).  The forecast was for a steady build at our spot and it was very hot so we went out.  I was on a 5 (165 lbs) and Chan was on a 4 (she's tiny).  These wing sizes will fly at this windspeed but it is a different experience then when there is more wind.  We don't get as much wind assistance for knee starts at the lower speeds so that is a different technique.  Everything changes when the wing hits its range.  You can feel the wing lock in.  It becomes way more relaxing and way more fun.  It also provides stability that you can pump against.  This is also where you start feeling real directional control and where you will be able to practice the stuff you will need for foiling. 

Rider weight matters a lot.  At your size I would go for a 5 in those conditions.  It will make everything more fun. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 03:06:51 AM »
Quickbeam,

I can pump onto foil with a 5m windsurf sail in 15mph wind, but at your 9-12 mph I use a 7m.

You may be disappointed.

But next season, lots of bigger sizes will be available. I’ve already seen used wings hit the web. I’d hate to see you be the next casualty of unrealistic expectations.

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 04:31:49 AM »
In your conditions a 5m seems best for you for sure. 

Dwight though, I would say you really need to try an actual Foilwing.  And I just read you have one :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 05:30:29 AM by Julie_Scheyer »
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 07:36:36 AM »
Thanks everyone. This looks like such a cool sport I really wanted to jump right in. But in taking a step back, our season really only lasts maybe another month. So I guess I'm probably better off waiting a bit and see what else comes up. So thanks again for the words of wisdom and helping me gain some perspective. The wait is going to kill me, but it's probably the wise thing to do. I'll just keep scanning these pages and hopefully pick up some extra knowledge along the way.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 07:45:08 AM »
Yes, weight is important. Big guys, big wings. I've carried backpacks that are heavier than Chan, so she doesn't count.

If the cost is going to change your life in some negative way, then wait. If not, jump in. I look at things like this the way Warren Miller used to put it. “If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do.”

Of course, he also said: "If at first you don’t succeed, failure may be your thing.”
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 12:37:50 PM »
Based on my limited experience with the wing and no background in Wind/Kite surf
I can say that my F-One 3.5M is more than I can handle even in 15 knots wind.

I'm 190LB with a 25 pounds 10" surf board and that wing doesn't seem to have any problem moving me. Without proper technic I was cruising today at a "blazing" speed of 4-5mph and the wind was about 10knots.

It might sound like a sick joke to long time windsurfers but from the perspective of someone new to this sport learning at 10knots wind is more than sufficient to get you started and if the 3.5m can move me I'm pretty sure the 4.2m Slingwing is going to be a handful at the learning stages.

I'm not considering foiling with the wing at this point. I'll worry about that when I have enough control and knowledge of the wing.

And BTW, a window would be helpful for sure for a beginner, even though many say it's not necessary.

Also, I've found it very helpful to have an 11 inch pivot fin to make upwind possible with a surfboard as anything less wasn't good enough for me to work the rails and make the board go the direction I wanted.

Even at this stage this is good fun to learn, and oh yeah, bring a paddle with you as you might get carried away literally ;D having fun cursing before you'll realize you need to go back and you are not good enough to do that

Just my 2 cents
in progress...

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 12:45:44 PM »
I think this is from Ozone.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 12:57:59 PM »
Based on my limited experience with the wing and no background in Wind/Kite surf
I can say that my F-One 3.5M is more than I can handle even in 15 knots wind.

I'm 190LB with a 25 pounds 10" surf board and that wing doesn't seem to have any problem moving me. Without proper technic I was cruising today at a "blazing" speed of 4-5mph and the wind was about 10knots.

It might sound like a sick joke to long time windsurfers but from the perspective of someone new to this sport learning at 10knots wind is more than sufficient to get you started and if the 3.5m can move me I'm pretty sure the 4.2m Slingwing is going to be a handful at the learning stages.

I'm not considering foiling with the wing at this point. I'll worry about that when I have enough control and knowledge of the wing.

And BTW, a window would be helpful for sure for a beginner, even though many say it's not necessary.

Also, I've found it very helpful to have an 11 inch pivot fin to make upwind possible with a surfboard as anything less wasn't good enough for me to work the rails and make the board go the direction I wanted.

Even at this stage this is good fun to learn, and oh yeah, bring a paddle with you as you might get carried away literally ;D having fun cursing before you'll realize you need to go back and you are not good enough to do that

Just my 2 cents

Thanks Burchas. Good to hear the opinion of a fellow beginner. One question. I know you said you found the Slingwing to be substantially heavier than the F-One. Putting the size of the wing aside, do you think you still could have handled the weight of the Slingwing, or would it have been too cumbersome? And I'm asking from the point of view of a beginner, because that is certainly what I will be. And like you, I'll be a beginner to both the wing and to wind sports in general.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 01:10:56 PM »
I'd say that when you employ good technic, the weight of the Slingwing will not be an issue but as a beginner you do a lot of muscling of the wing and so in this situations I think weight will become more of an issue getting you fatigue quicker. But that stage should not last long as you progress so I would not be too worry about it. My beginner opinion of course.
in progress...

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 01:32:52 PM »
Thanks Burchas. I think I would probably go ahead and get the Slingwing if I knew I could get one in a timely manner. Seems everyone I call is waiting for stock. Just spoke to one shop in Bellingham and they are sold out, as are Big Winds in Hood River. Looks like I may be waiting until next year no matter what. Should also mention to other beginners out there, that when I spoke to the fellow at Big Winds, I asked if he had any recommendations for me and he suggested that something he thought would be very helpful would be the "Drift Stopper" Julie posted about in another thread. I think at the very least I'll invest in one of those when they are available.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 02:10:40 PM »
Try windance in Hood River. They had some in stock.
in progress...

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 02:54:49 PM »
Thanks Burchas. I just got off the phone with Windance and unfortunately they are also sold out.   :(
The fellow I spoke to said they went very quickly.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 03:09:18 PM »
These guys should have them. The web site stock is always accurate.

https://isthmussailboards.com/slingshot-slingwing-classic-v-1.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal