Author Topic: OBX in September  (Read 5170 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
OBX in September
« on: August 04, 2019, 12:35:18 PM »
My wife and I are going on a road trip to the OBX this September.  Since we have to take our two little dogs, we will most likely rent an RV and stay in some appropriate place there that has amenities to make my wife comfortable.  Jarvissup has graciously shared some of his local knowledge with me, but I am interested in any other tips or ideas you might have.  I'm stoked to be headed back to SoCal for a visit late this month and then a trip to the cape the next.  Last surfing I did was in February when I made my last visit to Socal.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: OBX in September
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 12:44:20 PM »
Rates on weekly house rentals get really reasonable in the fall. At least one of the rental agencies has a very specific search engine - filter for pets, # of bedrooms, smoking, wi-fi, etc. They also don’t take huge damage deposits, just roll a small insurance policy into the price.  I would at least get an idea of the price vs a RV rental.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 02:21:01 PM »
Rent a house. We rented a beach front home in Rodanthe years ago that was pet friendly and really reasonable.  Sept is a great month for surf in NC but it is also hurricane season and the OBX are a magnet for storms   Maybe get travel insurance
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 04:08:21 PM »
Not sure how big an RV, but if you can, take the ferry to or from Ocracoke

If I had 1 week in Sept for the Outer Banks, and an RV, and 2 boards, I would spend it in Frisco
Either Frisco Woods, or Frisco Campground.   Have done it on multiple trips except in beater cars or vans, and not in an RV

It would give you access in all directions, and you can surf at your doorstep...and multiple close spots
Waves guaranteed in Sept.

You should watch the weather, and if they say get out...get out early and get inland

Nags head and that area pretty built up and touristy fun, but down below Salvo it gets real slow and folksy

Oh...and if you do do a motel...alot  ARE NOT dog friendly, and often charge a high extra cleaning fee for ticks and fleas   House rentals are better if you decide to go that way....Always had good luck with Outer Beaches Realty

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 04:14:42 PM by outcast »
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 06:48:14 AM »
I’ll be going to Nag’s Head for the first week of September.  The house rental rates are much better then, and the kids are back 8n school so there are fewer people.  Definitely get travel insurance!  It can be perfect beach weather...or a hurricane.
It’s an easy drive down Cape Hatteras to see different beaches.  Go north and it gets crowded.
Have fun!

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 01:28:12 PM »
I agree with outcast.... Frisco area offers great potential for many wind and swell directions, all within a few minutes drive.
Mellow area and everyone I have met while SUP surfing there was friendly.

The waves in Frisco are also softer than Hatteras, which can be quite thick and powerful on a good swell.

You should also check out the "Cape Point Campground" right in the Cape Hatteras Park

and yeah.... take storm warnings seriously.
The road just north of Buxton gets completely erased, far too often.... and cuts off road access to the mainland, for long periods.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 02:25:36 PM »
Everbody's ...' got a friend'.   Dottie, is a long-time Ocean City, MD poleboarder-instructor/kiter/SUPsurfer, she and her husband have had this property for years in HAT. https://www.outerbeaches.com/property/a-b-sea-82.  Sept. is when the gamblers reserve.  I gather they place a lot last minute bets to avoid getting chased out by the weather. 

Think ahead on an RV.  Make sure you have the right to abandon in case of wind restrictions on the bridges if the wind locks you in.  ...plus the mobility and availability of parking if you need to shift breaks depending upon the wind. A biggie is RV park reservations.   

it can be a great place to visit.   Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 05:50:28 PM »
Yeah, from many of the comments, I'm thinking of renting a place, as long as they will allow our little dogs.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 08:26:34 AM »
Yeah, from many of the comments, I'm thinking of renting a place, as long as they will allow our little dogs.

https://www.outerbanksrentals.com/booking/nh757-la-vielle-batie-dxme/350330

This isn’t available the first week of September 🙂🙂, but they do allow dogs.  Lots of places do, so you should be able to find a good rental at a good price.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 09:28:05 AM »

https://www.outerbanksrentals.com/booking/nh757-la-vielle-batie-dxme/350330

This isn’t available the first week of September 🙂🙂, but they do allow dogs.  Lots of places do, so you should be able to find a good rental at a good price.

Wow, nice little place!  Thanks, S4E
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 10:27:08 AM »
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SurfnCJ8

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 07:23:10 PM »
Some friends and I will be up there in Sept as well to surf. We used to use the state campgrounds because they were low cost and close to where we wanted to be. Tent camped and cold showers. The older we get the more comfort we require. Haven't quite got to renting a house yet but that day is coming. We have upgraded to small campers and cabins for the surf trip. When our kids were young we used to do family vacations there as well and did rent a house for that. Can't remember who we rented through but do recall it was usually in Hatteras village.

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 07:32:40 AM »
Rent a house, it's cheap and comfortable.

Frisco is only "Good" when there is north in the wind, and the surfing down there is not as good as the bars haven't lined up right in years.

Don't trust the forecasts. 2-3 is often head high here. There is always some swell in the water, the wind can be good in the morning even with a bad forecast. This morning had a bad wind forecast, see attached pictures.

Cape Point campground is a desolate place with no shade trees and a good place to be eaten by mosquitoes, and or vultures(see pic)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 01:10:13 PM »
Rent a house, it's cheap and comfortable.

Frisco is only "Good" when there is north in the wind, and the surfing down there is not as good as the bars haven't lined up right in years.

Don't trust the forecasts. 2-3 is often head high here. There is always some swell in the water, the wind can be good in the morning even with a bad forecast. This morning had a bad wind forecast, see attached pictures.

Cape Point campground is a desolate place with no shade trees and a good place to be eaten by mosquitoes, and or vultures(see pic)

If I can score waves like those, I will be very happy. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal