Author Topic: SoCal Wing Lessons??  (Read 5613 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
SoCal Wing Lessons??
« on: August 04, 2019, 09:42:08 AM »
SoCal wing lessons?

I (and potentially my mother in law) want to try these things.

Is anyone teaching this is Southern California? Obviously we’d like to try on standard SUP.

LA, OC, or SD is fine. Take our money!!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SoCal Wing Lessons??
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 11:47:02 AM »
The reason I quit windsurfing....... There's no wind in SoCal! A little south wind crap to mess things up, and some crank'in 8 mph north winds. I did see the Duotone Van down at baby beach a few days ago. Not sure what they were doing? We have had no waves or wind (well Thursday afternoon..I saw a kiter out). 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 02:15:07 PM »
Tall Dude doesn't drive to Belmont Shores in Long Beach, obviously. That place is windy and would be a good wingfoil spot on the windier days. There are a few big kite school there. Probably only a matter of time before they offer wing lessons.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 04:30:26 PM »
Cnski,right? Or north LA County where we have our own kite beach full to the brim on windy Saturday afternoons in summer. Oh to be in OC with consistent swell and warmer water. With our cooler water we generate more wind onshore to the hot desert hills.

It’s not Maui or the Gorge but we use them as indicators. We joke when we check the cams that if you see a kite boarder might as well stay home.

Thx for the tip, I’d forgotten about those guys down there. I’ll give them a buzz.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 05:39:45 PM »
Tall Dude doesn't drive to Belmont Shores in Long Beach, obviously. That place is windy and would be a good wingfoil spot on the windier days. There are a few big kite school there. Probably only a matter of time before they offer wing lessons.
You're right. I had forgotten about that spot. I used to drive to San Pedro windsurf back in the day. I actually built the interior of a windsurfing / wind-sailing shop in Belmont Shores in the early 80's in trade for some boards and sails:) I used to race HobieCats there too. I don't kite so I've never paid attention to local kiting shops. http://www.socalkitesurfing.com/WindReports.html  Looks like they are kite foilers but I don't see mention of Wings. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 05:55:57 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 06:42:16 PM »
We kite a lot out front here in HB.  I rarely see the foil guys down here, they are all up at Belmont.   Its been a windy season, or so it seems as Im walking my dog.  haha I haven't been able to kite due to injury.    It would be windy enough  down here on most days with the foil, the drag is so low. 

al the foil guys are in Belmont, so Id go there to check things out.  I had to stop kiting there though, it is beyond dirty these days.  oh man the water is bad.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 06:59:58 PM »
I used to race catamarans in Belmont Shores. I didn't own one, just had a nutty friend that did. The locals started calling hin "Trip" because he'd do it at least once a race weekend.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 09:28:32 PM »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 07:27:01 AM »
Refreshing this one to see if anything has changed in 9 months.

Also for LA and north area guys, is anyone consistently winging? I’m still working out if this sport is feasible here. I’ve seen one guy out on a camera here. But thinking that this might work for a few sessions and be a solid travel option for afternoons in Catalina, Texas, Hawaii, and Costa Rica which are my main go to vacation spots. (How’s San Diego for wind sports? The wife is also chomping to get to FL more often and I know that works.

But will I get enough sessions here to be able to learn in a few weeks or do I need to plan a trip and just buy one?

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 11:46:30 AM »
Plan a trip and buy one. I've had mine for over a month now. I've had it out once in proper wind. I skipped another windy day to foil a protected spot. That was about it. Not a ton of days that are strong enough to truly learn. Once you learn then I bet on a big board and big foil you'd be fine. Just keep watching the used market. More v2 wings coming out, people will be trading up.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 12:54:53 PM »
This is kind of what I figured.

Yo, I surfed the pier today and paddled over and scoped your spot. It’s crazy how deep it gets in there! I’ll leave it alone til I know what I’m doing but that reform is really cool.

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 01:39:05 PM »
I have seen a couple of wingdingers in the last week in north LA. One guy, total newbie, at Topanga, struggling to get up on his foil in 8-12 type wind. There was a much more experienced winger out at Sunset the next day, in better wind. I have yet to see any windfoilers at all, but kite foilers are common. There is also a guy I have seen several times at Sunset on an electric foil.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 07:02:34 PM »
Thx Laz Ive seen the efoil Guys, there are two, one is Pacificmeister (Merten?) on YouTube. The other guy bought his from China and is selling them and doin lessons. Samo on here has been towed by Merten I think.

I’m wing curious and know that there’s a pretty good kite scene up by Zeros but I just never know when or how much they are out.

I think the trip idea might be best. Last time I was in San Diego there was pretty good wind in the bay where I was staying and I can carry a paddle or walk home. (Actually I could call an Uber lol.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal