• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Waves
« on: August 03, 2019, 05:08:53 AM »
Waves. 

Most people who are riding these things have just received them in the last few months.  That means a lot of getting to know you days.  There are already a bunch of fun modes and uses for our new toys but we haven't had a winter yet where they were in the hands of a lot of riders. That means limited time in the waves so far and no really good video.  This is a natural for this sport.  Here are two early vids which show some very skilled kids at summer Hookipa.  We are going to see some incredible stuff this winter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbaH1fBEtTg

https://www.facebook.com/wingdotsurf/videos/474630053354652/

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Waves
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 05:26:56 AM »
schaaawwweeeeeet.

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 11:28:36 AM »
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 09:21:05 PM »
That, and down winding are the two reasons I want to get good at wingfoiling. I'm not that interested in plowing furrows back and forth. But I'll do whatever I have to do to go get waves and downwind swells.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 04:57:19 AM »
Here is another one (thanks Giampaolo) of these lads at Hookipa.  The guys on the Takuma's are looking great but good Lordy is that cat on the F-one looking Smooth.  It looks so cool to be soaring around on those tiny boards.  It makes our stuff look so massive and clunky.  I still need my training wheels and probably will for some time but this is where its at. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XLpQ-ti17A
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 05:00:46 AM by Admin »

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 06:59:53 AM »
Wingfoiling has got to be the ultimate irritation for prone surfers.  SUPs were bad enough for them, but I expect these things really cause them some angst, zipping in and out of the lineup and riding everything.

Wish I were younger, I would be all over wingfoiling; looks super cool.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 07:02:49 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 08:20:41 AM »
How young do you think you need to be?? I'm 72, I'm addicted. Wingfoiling would seem to be a perfect solution for your relocation. Shitty surf, blown out? Perfect.

Every surfer knows the irritation of having some decent surf that gets blown out by ten. It's actually worse for most foilers since the board is up in the air--I get blown out of waves a lot. And the super long ride of foils means a LOT of time spent paddling back to the lineup.

I think I see a solution.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 08:37:00 AM »
It looks like the Takuma guys are riding there Surf "Model X" which is 4'4''  (18 9/16 x 3 1/2 at 39 liters)  https://www.takuma-concept.com/74-model-x-4-4.html .  That is a lot of insert options!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 08:39:31 AM by Admin »

Lazz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 09:13:23 AM »
It looks like the Takuma guys are riding there Surf "Model X" which is 4'4''  (18 9/16 x 3 1/2 at 39 liters)  https://www.takuma-concept.com/74-model-x-4-4.html .  That is a lot of insert options!

Clement Colmas in the previous Takuma promo video riding a interesting proto with a double concave entry point and  multiple anti suck cut out rails at the release .
Deck shape : seems a dugout

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 09:24:59 AM »
How young do you think you need to be?? I'm 72, I'm addicted. Wingfoiling would seem to be a perfect solution for your relocation. Shitty surf, blown out? Perfect.

Every surfer knows the irritation of having some decent surf that gets blown out by ten. It's actually worse for most foilers since the board is up in the air--I get blown out of waves a lot. And the super long ride of foils means a LOT of time spent paddling back to the lineup.

I think I see a solution.

Hmmm, as usual, you have a good point PB.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 11:57:12 AM »
Wingfoiling has got to be the ultimate irritation for prone surfers.  SUPs were bad enough for them, but I expect these things really cause them some angst, zipping in and out of the lineup and riding everything.

Wish I were younger, I would be all over wingfoiling; looks super cool.

You should be foiling your ass off on Lake Norman, then arriving at the beach a pro foiler. Guaranteed not to be skunked.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 05:28:14 AM »
Love this pic.  This is the dream.

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 08:24:26 AM »
Zoo,

I probably won't be able to start the wing thing until next year but I am all over it because I live in NC.  I'll be able to get out on the water when I wouldn't usually.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 03:29:32 PM »
Kiting is dead to me.....for the second time in my wind sport career.

Wow, wow, wow.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0_9UZvH0pt/?igshid=uz4titcj4eot

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2019, 08:10:50 PM »
Wow indeed. That is indeed, why I'm enduring all these high-speed nasal irrigations.

The Maui guys were rocking it at the Hatchery today. I went by at 11:00 to play with them and wound up staying 'till about 4:00. I was having a rough day, not quite getting my available choices of gear right, but still having fun. I've never seen so many wings on the Columbia. The morning's downwind session turned into a general wingfoiling rodeo. The wind was a little light for my choice of gear so I was struggling a bit to get up and stay up on the foil. I was going to leave since I promised to shop and cook dinner (my daughter and grandson are here visiting), but the wind came up a little so I decided to go one more time on my 4M and switch to my huge M280. Of course, the wind came up as soon as I got out and I was pushing the 280 past its normal sedate speed with my overpowered Duotone wing. I felt like I was on the edge as long as I was up in the air. And indeed, I had some spectacular over foiling faceplants. When I came in Alex said, "We could hear that last crash here on the beach".
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 08:13:58 PM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal