Author Topic: Waterstarts  (Read 58751 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Waterstarts
« on: August 02, 2019, 05:42:55 AM »
Big SUP style foilboards are a necessity to getting started and may always be a big part of the sport.  As beginners, we all start on our knees doing a knee start which is functional and sometimes graceful (as opposed to disgraceful, which happens as well :) ).  This requires a board which will float you enough to crawl up, kneel, get situated, and do your start.  The full waterstart is really appealing in that it skips a lot of that.  I have tried a few windsurfing style waterstarts on the big boards and flying the wing in the water is fine and positioning the board is very doable as well.  The sticking point is that the big board (sitting flat on the surface) sits high above the water so with your feet up it is very awkward and there is not enough leverage to get you up there.  It is likely possible but it will require a lot.  The best answer would be to use the foot straps, set the board on its side (twin tip kiteboard waterstart style) and start like that.  The problem there is that with these wide boards the straps are now way up in the air and the board has a lot of float that works against rolling onto it. That is where greatly reduced boards come in.  That is the goal.  I am thinking that a narrow, sinkable board is going to be critical for this.  Of course foiling skills would be mandatory because sub foiling cruising will not be super fun.

You see waterstarts onto little 30 liter boards in these vids. I am confident that a standard waterstart going to become a normal part of this sport.  I see it as a given.  I remember (dating myself now) picking up a windsurfing magazine and reading about the waterstart.  The article called it an "advanced freestlye maneuver" :)

https://youtu.be/OLQFGTGo0HU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm6nYgyepS8

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Waterstarts
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 06:19:20 AM »
In kiting, a setup that floats like this is key to easy water starts.

I can’t tell you if this applies to wing surfing because nobody but you, has was one those dam things  >:(

Water starting a foil SUP with a kite, is dam near impossible for all the reasons you’ve already discovered.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlrMdi8HYiq/?igshid=196hqpf8ae69p

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 08:06:29 AM »
That is cool to know, Dwight.  Just looked up kitefoil waterstart videos and found this. It all looks translatable to the wing (2:18). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrfAkMVaE74

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 08:21:36 AM »
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 04:52:33 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 10:39:38 AM »
If you’re lucky enough to have a setup that floats like that, then for sure, learn the water start strapless or with foot hooks.

Way too many kiters sprain the ankles learning to water start foils with straps.

The issue is this.....as soon as the foil starts to sink (from the board sideways on the water position) the wind pushes you down wind, the foil wing rolls under your butt and ankle gets tweaked.

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 07:35:15 PM »
Yesterday we had some nice circuits on the bullets at the hatch....Around 3 PM the wind backed off. We came in. When we were pulling out, we noticed a foiler with a really small handkite just off Kodak Point. The wing was obviously too small for no wind ( I am guessing a 3 meter ) It really looked more like a pool toy. The funny part was the the small tourist van of Chinese who all gathered at the point taking pictures....

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 04:38:26 AM »
Here is another.  Noone is clearly showing the first part of the process.  That may not be pretty yet :).  It would be cool to see it from wipeout to foiling, warts and all.  It looks like they may just be flat sinking their boards and crouching on to them. 

https://www.facebook.com/CabrinhaKites/videos/2482758468624988/
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 05:10:08 AM by Admin »

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 05:54:31 AM »
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 05:57:34 AM »
Here’s sky water starting without straps on the board in waves from my iPhone
https://www.instagram.com/p/BweJw_nneJx/?igshid=1l1plvylaahfu
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 05:59:31 AM by Julie_Scheyer »
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 08:41:15 AM »
That is looking like a knee start on a full float board.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 04:37:05 AM »
Looking closer at the vids and at this image I am now thinking that these young guys are likely flat sinking these to get started.  That seems doable.  Hmmmm.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 08:20:00 AM »
Yeah, for young guys that weigh less than one of that transmission I need to remember to get out of my truck. I might read this at the shop and be prompted. Yes, my memory is actually that bad.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 10:18:39 AM »
I am thinking we will need to choose the largest size that we can still sink to mid torso.  Kind of like a shortboard volume.  It is pretty easy to go from sitting on a shortboard to a standing/squatting underwater surf stance.  I am warming up to the idea. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 10:24:06 AM by Admin »

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2019, 12:10:14 AM »
Waterstart would be a game changer!
Knee starting is not easy on my Jimmy Lewis 5'11 in big chop.

If you weigh lets say 85kg( 187lbs) I would think that you need  a board with 40-45 liters ?? or a little bit bigger?

I was looking for a board like that for prone surfing anyway, now I have to find one with footstrap inserts, or install them later...

And would a foil that floats really help?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 03:33:32 AM »
Waterstart would be a game changer!
Knee starting is not easy on my Jimmy Lewis 5'11 in big chop.

If you weigh lets say 85kg( 187lbs) I would think that you need  a board with 40-45 liters ?? or a little bit bigger?

I was looking for a board like that for prone surfing anyway, now I have to find one with footstrap inserts, or install them later...

And would a foil that floats really help?

I am looking for the same thing.  I was guessing 40 to 45 liters would be the max that I could easily sink.  We want to start practicing the "pop up" :).  On shortboard (surfboards) we used to mess around waiting for sets.  From a straddle position you can easily press down on the board between your legs with your palms, pull your knees up and get into underwater surf stance.  Because your body is mostly submerged you stay really buoyant and it is surprisingly stable.  I also had a 5'10 x 21 x 3 fish that I loved for a groveller board but unlike shortboards it was thick and corky.  That board was much more challenging to sink and stay on.  Still possible but it wanted to squirt out on you.  Getting the volume right seems like it would be critical. 

We have GoFoils and I wish they didn't float.  They keep the board on its side much longer than I would want when getting started.  This exposes the water wings and you have to be careful with your (sometimes wild) air wing not to allow the two to meet.  It also slows the whole process. 

I notice that these guys are using minimum length straight wrist leashes (3-4 feet).  A quick tug and the wing is in hand.  That beats reeling.  I am on that. 

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 03:37:47 AM by Admin »

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM