Author Topic: Alt Meat  (Read 47159 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Alt Meat
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2019, 10:41:05 AM »
funny---deep in badger's piece is a section about potential grain trigger of opioid receptors....

guys all on the corner nodding out... eatin' p b and j's on whole wheat!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2019, 12:37:25 PM »
Oh great, I'll get my Naltrexone ready ;D

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2019, 12:58:59 PM »
I am certainly no expert on the subject. I read a little here and there and listen to people talk about it.

For instance I recently watched a couple of videos where Laird Hamilton and Henry Rollins said in separate interviews that they no longer eat bread. I listen to what they have to say because they have probably done their homework and may know a few things.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 01:10:52 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2019, 01:12:03 PM »
luca---i grew up drinking whole milk out of the carton in the fridge all day--it's what i drank when thirsty--cheese all day, again right outta the fridge

drank prolly 3-4 cups whole milk per day til i quit dairy a couple years ago--wakeup for me was a chest scan which showed my calcium score only slightly better than avg for my age, despite continually stellar cholesterol and other blood work---so i got rid of fatty dairy, but also meat---i am lighter and more fit, but ive been bike-commuting 50 mins ea way too--who knows why we feel good or bad?---so many variables, including that im a psychotic freak, which can make me feel bad, even when ive eaten the "best" foods

ima get another scan in a year or two (lotta radiation)--hope the calcium score goes from avg to stud

gluten sensitivity??  jury's still out for me--unarguable is that gluten-free indu$try is big bux, so there are many with a stake in keeping the concern growing, hysteria or not
yeah, me too...….not the cheese tho but guzzled milk. Sometime around the time I had kids/mid twenties that craving/habit/behavior just disappeared. Not sure why. I guess I was out of puberty by then? (.proudly still immature tho..) Don't drink it much anymore but something about chocolate milk in the morning and camping is still there.
I brought up dairy as I was just thinking how foods have change over last 150 years or so.
Was milk really drank much before refrigeration?
Are Americans really the only ones who guzzle it?
I got no clue.

With gluten what has swayed me is my oldest kid.
My daughter had some surgery and can't remember what triggered it, but she cut out gluten some time during the rehab part. Made her feel better and solved some issues she had for quite a while. Nothing major, just discomfort or things not at their best kind of thing but enough that it was kind of night and day for her.
Ok...……
(it was sometime after this that I heard about the surgery and gluten tolerance link although her "issues" were happening prior for sure)
Next daughter decides to cut it out a few years later. I suspected "trendy cut out" but she says it really helped her.
Ok...…
A few more years later to this year and my boy does some sort of food sensitivity test. It lists gluten. Not a big thing but something to watch. I can't remember the test and really don't know what other things it checked but
He cuts it out.....
More better. He doesn't lead the healthiest of lifestyles but he swears that has really changed some things for him.
I know other people as well and always kind of wondered about it..."aw geez..…" but his is the one that really started to turn me.

I wonder if it's combined with some other crap we fill ourselves with? Is it age related? Under 40 or under 30 crowd more prone for it? I know it runs across all ages but...….
I got 4 kids. 3 have cut out the gluten with good results. The kid who probably lives and eats the healthiest of all 6 of us has no issues and probably eats it daily. Mom and dad haven't got any problems with it either.

Yep, big bucks. Yep, it's trendy...…

Make sure and say hi to Ted if you end up in the same freezer...…..

Extra crispy or original?

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2019, 01:53:12 PM »
I can eat a lot of grains, pasta, etc and feel fine, I just gain weight fast when doing it. So I gave up bread so I can still drink beer. Fair trade.

Make paddleboarding great again!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2019, 07:13:29 PM »
I am certainly no expert on the subject. I read a little here and there and listen to people talk about it.

For instance I recently watched a couple of videos where Laird Hamilton and Henry Rollins said in separate interviews that they no longer eat bread. I listen to what they have to say because they have probably done their homework and may know a few things.

Laird believes that he gains energy from the ground by being barefoot. I'll listen to Laird talk about anything that has to do with moving across the water all day long, but as soon as he wanders away from that he's just another airhead. Like listening to a movie star that hasn't been told he's full of shit for the last twenty years talk about poverty. Or physics. Or life in anything but a little force/money field bubble. Nope. Just shut up or read a book (Googling your guru doesn't count).

Just had an awesome Wagyu beef hamburger with parmesan cheese, homegrown heirloom tomaders, toasted baguette with the guts cut out, and some sauteed mushrooms with parmesan and white wine. Washed it down with ice-cold Analemma champagne. If you live anywhere near Hood River and you haven't tried Analemma champagne then wow, missing out. we buy a couple of cases every year. They make it the hard way, and it shows. Not cheap, but I'd stack it up against the best of the best, and it wouldn't embarrass anyone.

So Okay, that wasn't exactly Vegan. Finished off with some of Diane's insane homemade peach ice cream with a little Jameson's drizzled over it.  Now we're going to watch Caddyshack because Diane is becoming a goffer, and it's one of the best movies ever made.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 07:26:04 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2019, 07:34:03 PM »
Cedar Planked fresh salmon, lot’s of fresh veggies in the oriental salad. Long paddle on the the river with Good friends. Cheers.....

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2019, 09:17:36 PM »
Caddyshack was awesome, as always. I'm all right...  We danced at the end, the dog (zack) didn't like it. I think he identified with the gopher.

the salmon has been just OK this year. Lots of Sockeye from Alaska, but that's been about it. I hope the fall Chinook is a good run. I had a nice Coho a few days ago when my daughter was here. Pretty damned good. I showed her how to fillet and skin without leaving much behind, and what's left, including the head, gets made into stock. I made corn chowder with salmon stock. If you haven't had that you haven't had corn chowder.

My favorite way to do Kings is crispy skin. Scale it, bone it, and cook the skin side until it's 2/3 cooked through. Flip, sear and you're done. Josephson's flake salt, Mango salsa, Lemon Polenta, and a Caprese salad. Done and done. I'm a pretty good cook, I've been working hard at it for 50 years.

These are my filet knives. I don't fuck around when it comes to Salmon or Steelhead.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:44:43 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2019, 09:57:34 PM »

Laird believes that he gains energy from the ground by being barefoot. I'll listen to Laird talk about anything that has to do with moving across the water all day long, but as soon as he wanders away from that he's just another airhead. Like listening to a movie star that hasn't been told he's full of shit for the last twenty years talk about poverty. Or physics. Or life in anything but a little force/money field bubble. Nope. Just shut up or read a book (Googling your guru doesn't count).

Just had an awesome Wagyu beef hamburger with parmesan cheese, homegrown heirloom tomaders, toasted baguette with the guts cut out, and some sauteed mushrooms with parmesan and white wine. Washed it down with ice-cold Analemma champagne. If you live anywhere near Hood River and you haven't tried Analemma champagne then wow, missing out. we buy a couple of cases every year. They make it the hard way, and it shows. Not cheap, but I'd stack it up against the best of the best, and it wouldn't embarrass anyone.

So Okay, that wasn't exactly Vegan. Finished off with some of Diane's insane homemade peach ice cream with a little Jameson's drizzled over it.  Now we're going to watch Caddyshack because Diane is becoming a goffer, and it's one of the best movies ever made.

I've never heard Laird say that about being barefoot. I've always preferred being barefoot. Shoes seem to sap my energy. I can't wear heavy shoes like some people. I get the lightest sneakers I can find (sandals in summer) and I'd still rather be barefoot. I take them off whenever possible.

I've never understood why people get so into cooking and eating gourmet food. I've tried it and I don't get anything out of it. I don't enjoy enhanced food any more than just plain food. I use a few condiments when needed but that's it. I usually try to spend less time cooking than the time it takes to eat it. When gourmet people cook, it usually means a long wait. That's just me. I'm not against gourmet food. I just have no desire to eat it or spend my time cooking it.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 10:41:58 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2019, 10:41:13 PM »
Well that's just sad. It doesn't actually take longer to cook well, it just takes a long time to learn to do it--like anything. I can make an omelet better than anything you probably ever had in just a few minutes. I'm fast--I learned to cook hustling in a short-order restaurant working for an asshole. I can make a great meal from a kitchen with nothing in the pantry in less time than you can make a shitty one with great ingredients. No brag, just fact. Anyone who has eaten at my house will tell you that. Sounds like you eat to fill your stomach. I eat to be amazed. I'd guess you've never had great. You might have had good pretending to be great. It's like someone saying sex isn't all that people say it is when all they've done is jack off.

There's better.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 10:45:08 PM by PonoBill »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2019, 11:00:15 PM »
Sorry, I didn't mean to put down what you obviously love doing. I know what fine dining is. Yes, it tastes great but it's not an absolute requirement for me that's all. I can take it or leave it. There's nothing sad about it. I get plenty of enjoyment from the food I eat. I had a bowl of Grape Nuts with grapes in it after dinner last night that was over the top enjoyable.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 11:33:08 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2019, 07:22:05 AM »
rider! we are comrades---we walk the cedar plank hand in hand!

love planked fish--totally unique excellent texture
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2019, 07:29:34 AM »
laird doesn't believe in using sunscreen

ima stick with my dermatologist on this one