Author Topic: Alt Meat  (Read 47160 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Alt Meat
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2019, 06:01:41 AM »
I've been following this thread so I just decided to throw my two cents in here with two examples so here goes.

Do any of you who are championing alt meat, own any dogs for cats as pet companions? The last time I checked, dogs and cats are essentially carnivores.

I own a male tiger striped orange tabby feline cat. He loves meat. Real meat and he has a much better sense of smell than I do. If I would put down a nice big bow of cat food in front of him; made from alt meat, on his mat where I feed him in the kitchen, he would take few whiffs of it with his nose, look up at me and then give me that look which says; "what stunt are you trying to pull on me?", then turn around and walk off.

As for me, I'm not in the "alt meat" camp. Even though I'm an omnivore, I tend to think of myself as a top carnivore. This means as a land animal, I'm an apex predator and I'm at the top of the food chain. I like a nice rare piece of prime rib roast, rare ribeye steak, rare hamburger on a kaiser bun with all the trimmings, chicken cooked a variety of ways. Ditto for pork.

I also like saltwater fish so I fished for, caught and ate saltwater stripers, bluefish, red snapper, spanish mackerel, speckled trout (weakfish for those living on the East Coast), redfish (red drum), flounder, tuna, blue crabs. With a throw castnet, I caught and ate shrimp.

When it comes to freshwater fish; I fished for, caught and ate catfish (channel, blue) largemouth black bass, freshwater stripers and crappie (white and black).

Since I grew up with hunting; everything I killed, I ate. I hunted and ate rabbit (cottontail and swamp), squirrel (fox and gray), frogs (legs), rattlesnake, quail, doves, wild turkey, pheasant, deer (whitetail and mule), elk and last but not least, javelina.

My taste buds can tell the difference between real meat and alt meat just like it can with coke and diet coke. I've tasted the new plant based burger which Burger King is now advertising and selling.

In the video below, the woman at the end of the commercial must have taste buds like mine. She utters one word (four letter word) at the end of the video so listen for it. I won't tell you what the word is, but her one word expresses exactly to me what my taste buds are telling me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRz6oQWEo14
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 06:04:41 AM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2019, 07:23:09 AM »
Was the word "Lies"?

I've been eating the Beyond Burger and Beyond Sausage from the supermarket and I am totally sold on it. I'll never buy the meat version of those products again. I can't wait to try the Impossible Burger. It's supposed to be even better.

We need to put an end to factory farming and stop wasting land for cattle.

"Beyond Burger uses 99% less water, 93% less land, nearly 50% less energy, plus emits 90% fewer greenhouse gas emissions than producing a quarter-pound U.S. beef burger."

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 07:48:31 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2019, 09:46:25 AM »
Was the word "Lies"?

We need to put an end to factory farming and stop wasting land for cattle.

"Beyond Burger uses 99% less water, 93% less land, nearly 50% less energy, plus emits 90% fewer greenhouse gas emissions than producing a quarter-pound U.S. beef burger."

Yes, it was the word "lies". When it comes to everyone's taste buds, the old saying comes to my mind which is; "To Each, Their Own. And I do not like the taste of the alt meat burger, made from plants, that Burger King is selling.

And if you want to get rid of factory farming for beef and other animals like chicken and turkey, that may have unintended consequences and one of those consequences will probably affect the pet industry. I have a feeling most cats and dogs will not eat an alt meat diet on a regular basis since dogs and cats are carnivores.

So if that becomes true, that means giving up your pet companions for alt meat. In the long run, would I give up my pet companion cat for alt meat? My answer to that is; "Hell No".

I figure it this way. I'm not a fan of alt meat and won't eat it since my taste buds don't like it. Then with that said, why would I force my cat companion to eat alt meat? And I wouldn't.

BTW, my cat loves processed cat food made from deboned chicken, deboned turkey and last but not least.........wait for it............deboned "beef". My cat does have one oddity though. He doe not like the taste of fish.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2019, 09:58:05 AM »
Cats and dogs have to eat actual animal meat for good health. There is no alternative for that yet but I'm sure someday there will be. It has nothing to do with whether or not they will choose to eat it.

I can tell the difference but Beyond Beef is every bit as good as real beef and I feel better for purchasing it. The taste and texture are very close. Red meat is not good for humans. Factory farms are not good for the planet. Pet foods make up only a small fraction of beef sales. If people stopped eating red meat, there will still be plenty of beef around for their pets and it would probably be much higher quality than what they eat now.

I think your aversion to alternative beef is all in your mind. Have you actually tried eating an Impossible Burger or Beyond Beef burger that has been cooked properly?

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 10:46:00 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2019, 10:44:27 AM »
Red meat is not good for humans.

Care to provide your proof or reasoning behind this sentence?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2019, 10:48:34 AM »
Just Google it.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2019, 11:01:55 AM »
Just Google it.

Oh, right. Everything you google is definitely true. Congrats for the most idiotic reply I've ever read.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2019, 11:40:18 AM »
I am not a vegetarian, but I do believe there is lots of information to suggest that a plant based diet is more healthy for us. My impression is based on some reading I’ve done and some shows I’ve seen. I’m sure someone will tear this apart and say it’s not real science, but maybe start by taking a look at the documentary “Forks Over Knives”. It’s been a while since I watched it, but I remember at the time I thought it was pretty eye opening.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2019, 11:45:36 AM »
Just Google it.

Oh, right. Everything you google is definitely true.

You could say the same sarcastic remark about books, doctors and the education system.

It's takes a bit of intelligent discernment to sift through and find some truth. Without that you are lost.

Google is a very good source of information.

The question is, how bad is red meat for you? Yes, you can eat it and not die right away. There are people who eat a diet of only red meat every day of their lives and many have survived. I think most doctors would say to only eat small amounts once or twice a week. I may eat red meat occasionally but not very often. It's nice to have an alternative when I want to have more.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 12:30:49 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2019, 11:52:46 AM »
healthy eating is simple

eat as much unprocessed plant-based food product as you like

for protein, do similar: eat mostly high quality plant based proteins (nuts, beans, legumes, hemp, tofu, etc)---and eat minimal, best-quality-possible meat and dairy

eat lots of bottom of the food chain, low-mercury, low-pcb fish

simple carbs and refined sugars are poison---remind self that when making food choices
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2019, 12:02:30 PM »
Wheat products are also bad. My doctor told me that the human body was not designed to process wheat or sugar and there is lots of reliable information out there to back that up. It's not easy avoiding wheat but I've cut back considerably. I don't use sugar at all and never eat sugary foods except maybe a yogurt now and then.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 12:06:52 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2019, 12:14:40 PM »
dont like wheat?  whatever.... gluten sensitive?  celiacs?

get on quinoa, rice, etc----plenty of great gluten-free whole grains to enjoy

not sure i have a problem with wheat--been eating hearty whole grain breads my whole life, with no problem

i eat cooked bulgur wheat all the time with no problem digesting

i miss great baguettes and italian breads---but white flour is to be avoided---simple carbs/refined sugars are shit
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2019, 12:21:59 PM »
No, I have no problems eating and digesting wheat. Studies have shown that long term daily eating of wheat products can have very negative affects on your brain and body over time that show up in old age.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2019, 12:49:44 PM »
Cats and dogs have to eat actual animal meat for good health. There is no alternative for that yet but I'm sure someday there will be. It has nothing to do with whether or not they will choose to eat it.

I can tell the difference but Beyond Beef is every bit as good as real beef and I feel better for purchasing it. The taste and texture are very close. Red meat is not good for humans. Factory farms are not good for the planet. Pet foods make up only a small fraction of beef sales. If people stopped eating red meat, there will still be plenty of beef around for their pets and it would probably be much higher quality than what they eat now.

I think your aversion to alternative beef is all in your mind. Have you actually tried eating an Impossible Burger or Beyond Beef burger that has been cooked properly?

A lot of cats are finicky eaters. . If a cat won't eat alt meat, then it won't eat it. That is how cats are.

My neighbor next door to me has a spayed female cat. It sleeps in the house at night, but it likes to stay outside during the day. Sometimes I see it outside during the daytime. I've watched it hunting birds, moles, mice and down at the lake where I sup at (100 yards from my home), frogs. If the cat runs across one of the animals listed above, the cat will stalk it and if the cat gets lucky, it will catch and eat it. To this day, I've never seen a cat "stalk a plant to eat" which alt meat is.

Someone may come up with an alt meat for cats and dogs, but ultimately, the final judge will be cats and dogs and not some human pushing an alt meat agenda dogs and cats like they are now for humans.

As for my aversion to alt meat which you think is surely is in my mind; I can assure you it isn't in my mind. My aversion to alt meat is in my taste buds and nothing is going to change this fact.

As for your statement to me of; Have you actually tried eating an Impossible Burger or Beyond Beef burger that has been cooked properly?, define "cooked properly" and be specific because you and everyone else on this Zoner site knows I love details. Just how do you cook your Impossible Burger or Beyond Burger? Do you have to add lots of "stuff" to it make it palatable for you to eat?

What I'm getting at is this. I can put a raw beef patty on the grill, sear it on one side for two minutes, sear it on the other side for two minutes and then take the patty of the grill, put it on a bun and then eat it. With the thickness I choose, this patty is rare and lots of people don't like rare cooked meat, but I do. I can eat a beef patty just like that and my taste buds will like it.

Of course, I do put others things on it which are; sliced raw or cooked onions depending on my mood, Kraft Miracle Whip, dill pickles, lettuce, ketchup, mustard, bacon bits and a squaew slice of swiss cheese. But without all the "trimmings" I've just added, I would bet you my taste buds could tell the difference between a plain undoctured beef patty and one of your Impossible Burger or Beyond Burger patties.

BTW, sorry for the italic fonts. I don't know where they came from. I must have clicked on the wrong button and I now I can't get rid of them.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 12:51:57 PM by Night Wing »

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2019, 12:59:36 PM »
The best way to look at it is if even 20% of the Whopper eaters in the world decide the impossible whopper is their go-to burger that is going to have a major impact on the cattle industry. The Whopper and the Big Mac make up a huge percentage of the daily beef consumption in the world. Consumers have the option, and once this market begins to crack innovation will follow making better tasting and more realistic meats. Hamburger drives the cattle production market, this could actually result in higher quality cattle for the steak/roast market.

I firmly believe that the energy crisis will be solved by the free market. This is yet another example of innovation that moves the 'green' needle in a big way. Far more than any proclamation or study.

As for me, I love red meat (I mean really love it), but I am lucky to live in a rural area. My friends raise beef on their small farms and sell it to me, I hunt and kill a lot of my meals (ungulate and waterfowl), Salmon will run the rivers near my house providing a protein source I can obtain locally. Last Sunday I canned 80 jars of Albacore I caught 25 miles offshore a couple days prior.

Also, cats are gross. We have a couple and I have watched them eat huge stinky rats, snakes and yesterday one of them ate most of a tortilla. I bet a cat could easily be tricked to eat alt meat. A dog like a Labrador eats rocks and actual shit, they would have no problem with alt meat.

Make paddleboarding great again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal