Author Topic: Alt Meat  (Read 47165 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Alt Meat
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2019, 06:55:26 AM »
Love that quote at the end DW:
"How can you get as strong as an ox if you dont eat any meat? ...Have you ever seen an ox eat meat?"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2019, 07:59:42 AM »
the fake meats dont excite me because i love the pescatarian, semi-vegan foods i eat

i also avoid sodium carefully, and pretty much all the fake meat products are laden with salt---it's how they get flavor, and cover offensive flavors

regardless, i support moving away from the meat industry---which is pretty toxic on every level---that we subsidize toxicity seems weird, but when big corp $$ control our politics, that's how shit works----hello fossil fuels and the global warming "hoax"--not funny--not that the meat industry aint a huge part of global warming too......

eat as many unprocessed or minimally processed plants as possible---if you eat meats eat smaller portions of high quality product---plenty of protein available in nuts legumes beans hemp etc etc----eating well is so NOT complicated, despite all the hyped up BS diet "science"

avoid refined sugar of any kind, as well refined processed simple carb-containing foods like white bread, pasta, baked goods etc---muffins get you refined sugar, crappy oils, and simple carbs in one efficient gut punch!  of course i succumb now and then

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 11:56:15 AM »
>exiled: Have we had a synthetic food replacement successfully usurp the original?

HFCS replaced sugar in many products
Artificial sweeteners replaced sugar in the rest
Artificial flavorings have replaced extracts or whole ingredients 
Low- or non-fat milk replaced delicious whole fat milk in many homes

Those might be ingredients more than foods, but the synthetic food industry still has some success stories.
Out of your list, the only one I would say maybe to is artificial flavorings.
The full sugar products that Coke and Pepsi make outsell their diet products.
Low fat and skim milk are still milk; they are not synthetic.
HFCS is real sugar, not a synthetic. Interesting thing about HFCS and cane sugar. Opinion polls say people strongly prefer the taste of cane sugar. Blind taste tests show that people overwhelmingly prefer HFCS.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2019, 12:08:28 PM »

[/quote]
Interesting thing about HFCS and cane sugar. Opinion polls say people strongly prefer the taste of cane sugar. Blind taste tests show that people overwhelmingly prefer HFCS.
[/quote]
HFCS has more fructose which is sweeter than glucose. Imho this is one of the possible explanations why people prefer HFCS in the blond test setting.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2019, 01:17:22 PM »
may i pls take a blond test?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 07:45:23 PM »
may i pls take a blond test?

Have some patience eastie. This is much more common these days now that folks discovered their Go Bong Foil smoke settings ;D
in progress...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 08:01:24 PM »
How many acres of land does it take to grow one? In south Texas with a lot of rain, about 3 acres per cow.

But it’s so wet that you need to give them some supplements to keep them from getting sick. Sooo... there’s that.

In dry country figure you need more land than that.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 11:16:55 PM »
This is a bit tangential, but at least around here it seems like there's already a movement away from hamburger-based fast food.  Places opening up serve tacos or burritos, pho, noodles, bento, and (still) pizza.  Chicken and non-meat ingredients seem to really be popular, so yes, the beef substitutes just add more competition to beef.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2019, 08:54:50 PM »
How many acres of land does it take to grow one? In south Texas with a lot of rain, about 3 acres per cow.

But it’s so wet that you need to give them some supplements to keep them from getting sick. Sooo... there’s that.

In dry country figure you need more land than that.
exactly to what I asked...…
but what I meant to ask....
How many acres of green stuff grows a cows worth of burger?
soooo..........
3 acres to feed a cow....(got to know that...) (heard something about that before....."...this many acres...."...)

say a cow gives 500 lbs. beef....
How many acres of land to grow 500 lbs of .....beef alternative?
and then......3 vs 3? 3 vs 1 ? 3 vs 6? (water, erosion, fertilizers, cattle shit.......)?
a bit of math.
What does it mean?
No more chili burgers?
No one will know what a killer chili burger is in twenty years?
Nah.........

I haven't tried any in a few years and couldn't remember what I tried anyways........
no bueno.....I do remember that.
I'll have to try something new or mentioned here.....

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2019, 09:44:02 PM »
Ranch raised beef is a fairly efficient use of resources. The generally graze on land that can't be used for much else, and it's easy to rotate the cattle to preserve the soil and cover quality. Cattle don't tend to rip out the grass they graze on. That's why cattle ranchers hated sheep herders--sheep are like locusts. Unless you keep them moving they leave nothing behind. Most cattle are finished in feedlots. When they arrive they're carrying about 300 pounds of meat, when they are slaughtered it's 650. They get fed lots of grain, and they can't move much--not much room. They need antibiotics to not die. Not a pretty operation, but not inefficient. It takes about six to eight pounds of feed and 30 gallons of water to make a pound of beef.

That's actually pretty good, other meats are no better. Chicken and pigs are fed grain from birth to slaughter. But vegetable-based alt beef is more or less one pound of vegetables to one pound of "meat". About two gallons of water to grow one pound of the peas or other protein to maturity.

You could google this stuff. I'm writing this off the top of my head and I'm probably wrong about some of it because I read a bunch of stuff after I tasted a burger king sample--but my memory sucks. I don't eat fast food burgers--ever. But I'd eat these.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2019, 11:07:10 PM »
OK, so you guys got me all excited about this "alt meat" stuff being the end all to beef, so I bought some "Beyond Beef" this morning to throw on the smoker/grill this afternoon...fortunately along with some beer bathed brats "just in case".

Well jeezus h. cripes...maybe the "Impossible Whooper" with all the condiments, cheese, bun, veggies, and whatever other "hamburger" stuff makes it edible, but this "alt meat" is nothing but "alt crap" when taste tested by itself.

Kind of got the idea of what we were headed for when shaping the "burgers", and the "meat" smelled like some terrible dog food, and the texture was more like a lumpy thick paste. Almost threw it out then, and there...but at $10/lb for whatever this stuff is, we were at least trying it (2 of the 4 burgers are still on the plate, and probably headed for the trash).

Since I already knew what it was but wanting as unbiased taste test from the wife, son, and his fiancé...asked them to let me know what they thought of the "new, pre-shaped, and seasoned burgers" I was trying. Wife, and future daughter-in-law both pretty much both said they were "Eh, OK, but not as good as your usual", and the son after just one bite said, "Looks like a burger, but tastes like a veggie burger...what is it?".

So I don't know wth youse guyz are eating, but "Beyond Beef" is not gonna make it back on my grill, and probably not in any other recipe, since I wasn't that impressed with the "nutritional facts"...which doesn't even stack up to 93/7 ground beef, and is really only about the same as 85/15 (the lowest grade I'll use)...unless you've got a cholesterol problem, and then I can see sacrificing flavor for health.

"Beyond Beef" gets a big... blech! :'(   But the beer soaked Johnsonville Brats were delicious!! :D

« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 11:20:05 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2019, 05:22:21 AM »
We made the Sausage in Arabbiata with summer squash over Ziti last night and it was also fantastic.  Highly recommended.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2019, 08:11:38 AM »
Ranch raised beef is a fairly efficient use of resources. The generally graze on land that can't be used for much else, and it's easy to rotate the cattle to preserve the soil and cover quality. Cattle don't tend to rip out the grass they graze on. That's why cattle ranchers hated sheep herders--sheep are like locusts. Unless you keep them moving they leave nothing behind. Most cattle are finished in feedlots. When they arrive they're carrying about 300 pounds of meat, when they are slaughtered it's 650. They get fed lots of grain, and they can't move much--not much room. They need antibiotics to not die. Not a pretty operation, but not inefficient. It takes about six to eight pounds of feed and 30 gallons of water to make a pound of beef.

That's actually pretty good, other meats are no better. Chicken and pigs are fed grain from birth to slaughter. But vegetable-based alt beef is more or less one pound of vegetables to one pound of "meat". About two gallons of water to grow one pound of the peas or other protein to maturity.

You could google this stuff. I'm writing this off the top of my head and I'm probably wrong about some of it because I read a bunch of stuff after I tasted a burger king sample--but my memory sucks. I don't eat fast food burgers--ever. But I'd eat these.

There is all sorts of science arguing various ways, but while it is true there is land that isn't good farm land, the math doesn't work for nearly everyone to eat meat. There are tons of graphs and tables out there for the varying resources - land, water, feed, carbon footprint, etc, to produce the same amount of protein. Beef is by far the worst in every category. I am surprised by how much better pork rates. Chicken has about a third the impact or less , depending on which factor you look at.

But returning to the land - why aren't we building houses, warehouses and factories on land that doesn't farm well?
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2019, 02:15:09 PM »
Because no one wants to live there.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2019, 04:56:08 AM »
....and Chicken.  Deep fried, I cannot imagine it would't match up to the crap chicken the fast food groups are currently using (and most of the nasty supermarket chicken).  If they get a chunk of the fast food chicken market that is a massive amount of chicken.

https://newatlas.com/environment/kfc-beyond-meat-plant-based-chicken-trial/

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 07:29:55 AM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal