Author Topic: Alt Meat  (Read 47158 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Alt Meat
« on: August 01, 2019, 01:07:15 PM »
Here's a weird thought. I think the beef biz is dead but doesn't know it yet. I just had a fakeburger, and it was good. In fact it was better than a standard fast food burger. The fake burger is going to keep getting better. Feedlot beef isn't going to. Besides being an environmental and human health disaster, burger is expensive to make, distribute, store and sell, and it represents more than 60 percent of the beef biz. It's more or less the internal combustion engine vs. Tesla. As long as EV's were funny looking. slow and range-limited they didn't amount to a popcorn fart against an IC car. Then along came Tesla and kicked ass. The future for automakers is either somehow figure out how to make EVs at a profit, or die.

I came back to the shop and started researching. It's going to be a while before these folks are profitable, but it's pretty much game over for big factory beef. They don't know it yet, but I imagine it's going to get very hard to raise money to do anything in the cattle biz. Probably the boutique, grass fed, ethically raised and slaughtered stuff will survive, but the big feedlots are doomed. General consumers don't care that beef cattle that have the blind staggers that might actually be mad cow winds up in their happy meal, but expansion investment dries up when the smart money sees the first scent of disruption. In this care it's the first taste. I tasted it. It was good. They're fucked.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Alt Meat
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 02:16:09 PM »
Have we had a synthetic food replacement successfully usurp the original?

My bet is that best case it goes the way of margarine. Popular for a time but eventually eclipsed again by the original.

Some of this has to do with our nutritional science being so shoddy. Those unburgers are so damned processed its almost inevitable that they are losing some of the nutritional value we expect them to have. 

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 02:23:24 PM »
I haven't tried one yet, but I'm glad to hear the burger was good. I think you're right; we need to reduce meat seriously. If the smart people making fake meat can come up with a cheaper, more environmentally sound meat replacement, everyone wins. (Especially the animals.)
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 05:23:50 PM »
Bill you are correct I believe in your assessment. The beef industry has been under pressure for years and this will be the nail in the coffin. In the spring I was at a conference in Minneapolis, and ordered the veggie burger off the menu in the hotel restaurant. It came, grill bar marks, pink on the inside, and so good I thought they made an error in the order and gave me a beef burger. No worries I thought just a great burger. Had lunch there the next day and ordered another one. Same. I asked the server about it and she laughed and said that her family has replaced beef burgers for their BBQs with this meat substitute. The pink colour on the inside is with beat juice. Crazy good. Beyond meat.,

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 05:45:38 PM »
Interesting thought, and probably not far from reasonable, given the power of the tweet.
However:
Everything  “amazing” seems to have a hidden “unintended consequence”
We are designed to eat meat, so I don’t think it will ever go away completely.

I don’t eat beef often, and it I do, it’s usually grass fed.
Plus, I have always enjoyed a good veggie burger as well.

Whole food without all the hormones, additives and bullshit is what I eat.

So much smoke and mirrors in everything there days that you need a good “bullshit” sniffer  ;D

The main thing I do is avoid stress over my choices, cuz that’ll kill you faster than anything else

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 06:23:31 PM »
Ok, so a cow eats grass and thru some prosess turns the grass into beef. Some scientist figures out the magic chemistry and does it in his lab. Instant veggie beef. Now they change the ingredients to make it cheaper, tastyer, and more nutritious.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 06:35:35 PM »
I haven't eaten any mammals in a few years and the quality of the fake ground beef has come a long way. It's on par with ground turkey that has some dark meat in it (the pure white practically fat free ground turkey is not tasty) and turkey patties (again the fatty kind) are definitely on par with beef burgers. Beef eaters grab them by mistake and think they are great. When told they are turkey most seem pretty amenable to considering it over beef. But even if a plant based substitute tastes as good, a lot of meat eater s still have an issue with it. Poultry is cheaper to produce than beef and is more environmentally sound; that's a different potential nail in the coffin.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 07:01:48 PM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

puget sound

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 06:57:29 PM »
>exiled: Have we had a synthetic food replacement successfully usurp the original?

HFCS replaced sugar in many products
Artificial sweeteners replaced sugar in the rest
Artificial flavorings have replaced extracts or whole ingredients 
Low- or non-fat milk replaced delicious whole fat milk in many homes

Those might be ingredients more than foods, but the synthetic food industry still has some success stories.
Starboard Sprint 21.5 / SIC RS 14x23 / SIC Bullet V1

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 07:30:33 PM »
Exiled, the difference is the impact on the earth. Those on here that know me know that my handle isn’t a joke. My family are cowboys. Cattle farmers. I know that biz and without gov subsidies it doesn’t exist. How long do those last once beef is a luxury item instead of a staple?

As romantic as all the imagery of a cowboy is, this replacement has to happen. A day will come when it will be viewed as quaint as fossil fuels. And way before we’re off those.

Pono, today I read that Tyson is warming up to get into the mix. So you know it’s real. Burger King just added the Impossible Burger to all locations today.

It’ll get better for sure. But if you haven’t had one, just know that it’s not an old style soy burger. These are replacements down to the texture and color.

Steak is next. And we haven’t even started growing meat in the lab yet really.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 09:10:43 PM »
Yes Surf Cowboy I also worked with ranchers 35 years ago. I remember talking to an old rancher in his eighties who was still at it. He told me that when he started ranching he could sell a cow and buy a car. Now he had to sell 20 cows to buy a car. One of the jokes that I was told by one of my clients was when he was asked “What would you do if you won a million dollars?” His reply “I’d ranch for another ten years”. In Canada our beef industry is alive only through government subsidies. These are proud, salt of the earth men and women who are humbled to have to accept government handouts. Their ranches have often been in the family for generations and many times their kids want nothing to do with it. It is hard work for little reward.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 09:53:52 PM »
.........…. I just had a fakeburger, and it was good. In fact it was better than a standard fast food burger. The fake burger is going to keep getting better.....
….In this care it's the first taste. I tasted it. It was good. They're fucked. .

2:30 in the morning before you go to sleep or 8:30 in the morning after you wake up?
Can you do it 3 times in a row?

yummy...
echhhhh.
gas station burrito..........damn if I havent had a good one that's never been quite the same the next time.........
I don't know..........
What would we call it?
Ground Montana Angus or Ground Willamette Muckers?

but the beef industry is probably not a good long term call........

how many acres of green stuff do you need to grow for each cow?

No more cheeseburgers?
Naw....

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 10:36:22 PM »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 11:19:05 PM »
Now that was one of the classic movies of my youth I’ve rewatched with my kids.
Still some shock effect.
We eat a good deal of vegetarian meals at home.  The soy based ones were never very good, and my wife’s various plant based versions were tasty but only burger in form. I recently tried the beyond meat burgers and they were a tasty beef burger replacer.
If I go to the small country butcher here there is a photo of the provider of the meat on display in a field eating grass. I will not buy beef any more from supermarkets. Do not trust it.
But then I have that luxury.

>exiled: Have we had a synthetic food replacement successfully usurp the original?

HFCS replaced sugar in many products
Artificial sweeteners replaced sugar in the rest
Artificial flavorings have replaced extracts or whole ingredients 
Low- or non-fat milk replaced delicious whole fat milk in many homes

Those might be ingredients more than foods, but the synthetic food industry still has some success stories.

In my house I’ve got nothing but the pure originals. Whole milk, butter, raw sugar.
Among the friends that think twice about what they eat I see a tendency to do the same and avoid fake foods and mass production and out of season foods.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 03:59:35 AM »
The clincher is that they taste great.  Beyond Meat (only ones we have tried) nailed the look, feel, and even smell of cooking a burger.  It is the burger experience.  I can't see myself eating meat burgers again at home.  You do have to oil them because they stick like crazy.  They also use a heavy dose of salt as a preservative so you are at ~ 500 mg for a (small) burger.  With the normal already salty fixins it is a very salty meal.  If that is something that you watch you may want to factor that in. 

But, yes even if were just burgers that would have a massive impact on that industry.  But, these guys alone https://www.beyondmeat.com/products/ are on to ground beef, Sausage, dogs, etc.  In a pasta sauce as a meatball or sausage, in a chili, a burrito, a lasagna, on a pizza (I'm just having fun now) you would never know the difference.  That is a huge chunk of the meat market. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 04:23:53 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal