Author Topic: Compression footprints on my touring board. Wondering if this is a problem.  (Read 6555 times)

supthecreek

ronbon... I absolutely understood it was not a rant. :)
I am happy to hear and discuss any issue with Sunova's.... we want all riders to be happy with their boards!!!
Discussion is how we learn and grow.

From the looks of your photos,  your compressions are nothing to cause concern... but like Tino said, any delam resulting from that is a warrantee claim issue.
Enjoy your board, without concern. Happy paddling!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Bean - :) You might be right about the depressions adding stability and feel, and you aren’t the first person I’ve heard say that.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
You need to check if your board has a leak.

You should, of course, have weighed your board when new. If not do it now. Then monitor.

What you describe happened to me twice.

Once when a friend took my board out without closing the venting screw. First thing I noticed were those foot dents. Exactly as you describe. Had to set it out to dry for a summer. Once dry the dents went [mostly] away.

The other when riding another board (on a DW) a friend kept falling on my board on his knees. I was next to him and kept begging him to PUHeeeeease fall in the water instead (warm summer, go figure). After that my board quickly developed those foot dents you describe. I felt something was wrong. Soon enough my board was very heavy. Had to cut the deck right off. It was totally waterlogged. Deck was cracked (under pad) right around where knees would fall.

Always monitor the weight of your boards.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Got a friend who dances (more freestyle) on his boards.
His problem has been dancing on the plugs and then they leak.
His deck is totally dented and boards are full of water.

I am selling him a couple of used carbon built boards with no plugs, that I surfed
for a few years. No deck dents.

Build quality is so important.

supthecreek

All Sunova’s have goretex vents that need no opening or closing.
They vent out gasses put off by EPS foam when it heats/cools.
Gases exit the goretex but water cannot enter.
No maintenance.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
what bean said--many of my boards have developed footwells over time--they are not where my feet are when surfing, which is front foot centered pretty much planted, with rear foot moving side to side and a touch forward/backwards at times---no wells in those spots

the wells always form where i stand when paddling out and for position--so a stringer would not be in the right place to prevent any wells ive produced

and the wells dont bother me at all---do i like them? who knows? they're pretty subtle

and, for whatever reason, maybe that im getting old dumb and lazy, weight has become a most important issue for me with boards

bert burger does a great video onsite in indo jungle or some place, where he repairs a surfboard with a delam pocket where a footwell had been--fun to watch, and clearly bert lives his work---seems just a lovely guy with his soul in the right place about the business and the sport(s)---he seems immune to any effects from epoxy sanding etc--which worries me a bit--have a word with him, creek!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhqqkGOtoZI
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Thanks guys,

I will keep paddling and will get a warranty repair if the footwells get to the point that the board delaminates and starts taking on water or just starts starts getting softer. I weighed it on the old bathroom scale when I got the board and will weigh it again soon. Haven’t noticed a weight difference yet.

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
A board's not properly settled until there are "foot clues" to let you know you're standing in the right spot ;-)

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi,
Lot’s of interesting things have been said, but little about Balsa race /touring boards. 
I’m no expert but I own a sunova allwater 14’ since 2018, I have the same compression where I stand, I didn’t like it when I first noticed but it doesn’t evolve now and there’s no delam neither noticeable weight change. That board is lighter than my old 12’6  nsp. I love my Sunova Allwater. I see my Sunova more like a racing car than a Volvo. Of course you should check weight/dents but it should be fine.

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I had "footwells" on my Surftech Bark as well and it's heavy durable board. But 200+ lbs didn't help lol
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Hi,
Lot’s of interesting things have been said, but little about Balsa race /touring boards. 
I’m no expert but I own a sunova allwater 14’ since 2018, I have the same compression where I stand, I didn’t like it when I first noticed but it doesn’t evolve now and there’s no delam neither noticeable weight change. That board is lighter than my old 12’6  nsp. I love my Sunova Allwater. I see my Sunova more like a racing car than a Volvo. Of course you should check weight/dents but it should be fine.

Hey Comeu, the All water looks like a nice board and if I ever get a dugout, it’s on my shortlist. I would consider the 25.5 and 27”. As far as weight and foot compression goes, I’m 210 pounds down from 220 in the winter, but all other boards I have owned have been fiberglass composite construction, with the most hours put on a 2015 Naish glide and Starboard Touring AST, followed by my Evo. The starboard and Evo were the most durable of the three.

My Glide didn’t have durable rails but no compression at all on the deck and no compression dents on my Evo or starboard either. The Rails on the Sunova Expedition have been very durable (lots of scrapes and bumps) and I’m hoping the compression foot wells won’t need further attention.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal