Author Topic: Going upwind when the wind drops?  (Read 13461 times)

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Going upwind when the wind drops?
« on: July 27, 2019, 11:53:18 PM »
How much wind do you need to go upwind when the wind drops when you are on a 5m2 Duotone?

Especially important if the wind is offshore....

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Going upwind when the wind drops?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 03:17:54 AM »
With a foil under your board, going up wind in near nothing is easy, even when not on foil. Do it everyday on a windfoil.

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 12:46:24 PM »
With a hydrofoil foil you can pump in no wind.  Not sure I see the appeal :)

On the the 5m Ken and I can go upwind or downwind in 10-15mph.  The problem in Maui is we don’t have as consistent wind, so if we go out in 10-15mph, we can have lows at zero.  If you are at a more consistent place then it will be easier.   It also depends a lot on your hydrofoil skills and setup. 
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 11:46:21 PM »
As a total beginner with the windwing I had a very hard time getting back in offshore wind that dropped to 0-2 knots, the angle of the wind was also shifting all the time

I just didn't know how to hold the wing , I am sure I would have made it with the same size windsurf sail( my board has a mastfoot insert)

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 06:51:59 AM »
Gosh, the only thing that comes to mind when it drops that low is to start prone paddling.

Thinking of adding a forward track on an old sup foil board to create a dagger board effect for those light days.
Don't know if it'll work.

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 12:34:38 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzBo7X5nWEV/?igshid=1rw2tf59ww14k

Set boom on end of board hold it vertical like a boat spinnaker
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

novaboy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Turtle's Board Room
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 04:03:03 PM »
I was out for the first time on my Sling Wing today. No foil, using my 9’5 JL Striker with a 10” noserider fin. No way was I staying upwind in less than 10kts. Could be my less than stellar technique.

Plan is to get decent with the Wing, and then give this foiling thing a try, and then put the two of them together.

I did the paddle of shame back upwind. Been a very longtime since I had to do that. Learning a new sport at 50 is fun. LOL

Jimmy Lewis Canada Rep
http://turtlesboardroom.weebly.com
9'5 Striker, 12'6 Sidewinder, 5'11 Kwad, 8’6 Super Frank
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 08:35:55 PM »
Today I went out at Mosier (Rock Creek Park) and got up on my M200 right away. I wasn't able to stay up all the way across, but when I came down I didn't crash until I almost reached the Washington side. With all the screwing around I was quite a ways downwind, so I made an effort to go upwind on the way back to the Oregon side. That's a starboard tack for me, so I wasn't in my comfort zone for foiling, but I managed to get up a little bit, no pumping for height, and stay on the foil for a long way. When I finally crashed I realized I was about half a mile upwind of the launch. I was just concentrating on holding the foil a bit above the water and somehow wound up going upwind like crazy.

Of course the wind was about 20 with gusts to 25, but still...  Upwind. Foiling switchfoot. Yay.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 01:41:21 AM »
Can you go upwind like this?
Only downwind I think......It is a big deal for me, we have 90 degrees offshore wind a lot in summer.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzBo7X5nWEV/?igshid=1rw2tf59ww14k

Set boom on end of board hold it vertical like a boat spinnaker

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 01:51:32 AM »
Probably not worth the anxiety to go out in offshore conditions.  If you have a big enough board and hydrofoil it’s different. That was a 60L Board 5ft board. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal