Author Topic: SUP foil board size  (Read 76252 times)

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP foil board size
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2019, 02:08:35 PM »
Nice looking board this Kalama but Suggested price: € 2,090 for a SUP the size of a prone board??
5'0 x 26 3/4" x 4 7/8    6,2 kg?
My JL 5'11 weighs less and is tough as nails

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2019, 07:33:29 PM »
Yeah...foil boards seem to be priced on what the market will bear as opposed to material costs, for sure.  The Kalama boards historically were made in the same factory as the Jimmy Lewis but apparently Jimmy has a patented process that makes it durable and lighter. 

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2019, 11:41:43 PM »
Nice looking board this Kalama but Suggested price: € 2,090 for a SUP the size of a prone board??
5'0 x 26 3/4" x 4 7/8    6,2 kg?
My JL 5'11 weighs less and is tough as nails

Yes, that is why I suggest to go custom, cheaper and good for the local business.

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2019, 10:34:35 AM »
2020 Kalama Performance boards have arrived in Europe with similar volume, looks like smaller more refined shape and a bit wider... looks like there is a 5'0x26.75x87L.  https://www.kalamaperformance.fr/products?fbclid=IwAR09DTJ149-iuMoY-KjoYShb0yryVp8OtKZz8Kkyk4ZHNDfDo8i8a5OLuY8
[/quote]

Interesting designs he’s got. I didn’t notice at first, but if you go to the bottom of the page, there’s a tow in SUP with parallel chines...looks like DW’s boards, just tiny and thin.

I have a custom Kalama 6’ x 28” (I weigh about 185 lbs) and it is really hard to paddle and catch waves. I can balance on it okay. Just paddling around, it feels like I’m dragging an anchor. ;D I hope to progress and perhaps be able to appreciate the design, but for now I am using a bigger board. 

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2019, 02:19:03 PM »
2020 Kalama Performance boards have arrived in Europe with similar volume, looks like smaller more refined shape and a bit wider... looks like there is a 5'0x26.75x87L.  https://www.kalamaperformance.fr/products?fbclid=IwAR09DTJ149-iuMoY-KjoYShb0yryVp8OtKZz8Kkyk4ZHNDfDo8i8a5OLuY8

Interesting designs he’s got. I didn’t notice at first, but if you go to the bottom of the page, there’s a tow in SUP with parallel chines...looks like DW’s boards, just tiny and thin.

I have a custom Kalama 6’ x 28” (I weigh about 185 lbs) and it is really hard to paddle and catch waves. I can balance on it okay. Just paddling around, it feels like I’m dragging an anchor. ;D I hope to progress and perhaps be able to appreciate the design, but for now I am using a bigger board.
[/quote]

nice and I like the size 6'6 x 30" x 5 1/8 139 litres but at 8,8 kg is a bit heavy and the carbon is 1kg less but the size and litters are a bit lower than I like 6'2 x 29 1/2" x 5 1/8 129 litres 7,5 kg.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2019, 10:30:05 PM »

I weigh 185lbs too and downsized from the 7'4x30x105L Hypernut to the production 6'x28x115L Kalama and love it!  Whereas before I needed waves with some power to get enough lift, with the kick-tail and smaller size, lift is no issue.  Definitely have to position right and weight/unweight the board to get into the waves more than on the longer board. Quite interesting that the new sizes are much smaller--e.g. the equivalent 2020 model would be the 5'8 but it is actually wider (which I am not sure is necessary) but the more refined shape looks sweet!

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2019, 11:30:04 PM »

[/quote]

I weigh 185lbs too and downsized from the 7'4x30x105L Hypernut to the production 6'x28x115L Kalama and love it!  Whereas before I needed waves with some power to get enough lift, with the kick-tail and smaller size, lift is no issue.  Definitely have to position right and weight/unweight the board to get into the waves more than on the longer board. Quite interesting that the new sizes are much smaller--e.g. the equivalent 2020 model would be the 5'8 but it is actually wider (which I am not sure is necessary) but the more refined shape looks sweet!
[/quote]

To get lift we need some speed over the wing - are you saying you can get better lift from the up/down motion than the forward paddling speed of the 7'4? Is this with the same wing? Could it be that release is better on Kalama (rails are designed to release as opposed to 7'4 where rails are designed to bite). I'm about to design a new board and I know from past experience, w/surf-kite that we all went too short searching for the holy grail. My gut tells me we should be somewhere between 6-7ft for a SUP, but I'm keen to learn more about ease of launch with shorter boards.

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2019, 05:13:19 AM »
I weigh 185lbs too and downsized from the 7'4x30x105L Hypernut to the production 6'x28x115L Kalama and love it! 

can you stand/balance comfortably on that Kalama at your weight without being up on the foil? i'm just about 20 lbs heavier, and am wondering about my lower limit.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2019, 09:28:22 AM »

@Beached:
Yes.  For what it is worth, with the mast under me I find the Kalama to be just as stable as the Hypernut when not on foil.  In fact, after getting on the 6'0, I felt like standing stability-wise I could have went down to the 5'6.  (Controlling lift and flying probably a different story.)  That said, as background, I tend to like my surf-SUPs to float at water level versus higher in the water like some of my friends do so even the 115L felt a little more corky to me than the 105L.  Oh and to your original question, I am not sure how it would have been trying to start out on a 6'0 or smaller board...I did have a friend that is new starting on the 6'11 Flying V and don't think he needed to go any longer to get into waves.

@PeterP
I am still progressing as a foiler (somewhere on day 60-70 with many of those days being crappy conditions/days that might not even count), but what I have found is that the 7'4 Hypernut gave me more glide to get into the waves without being positioned just right but the 6'0 is way easier to pop up onto foil once in the waves.  The 7'4 had enough lift if the waves had enough power or were big enough but even with the M200 wing when it was weak was hard to get up flying.  Personally, I think it not just the shorter size but the bottom shape--e.g. the kicktail and chined rails makes a huge difference in the release.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 09:35:45 AM by 805StandUp »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal