Author Topic: Molokai to Oahu Race 2019  (Read 66221 times)

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Molokai to Oahu Race 2019
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 08:44:14 PM »
Well done Robert; both for you and for your boards.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

dk78

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 12:41:57 AM »
Congrats Robert!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 10:27:10 AM »
That’s a marvellous achievement Robert, and a good indication of the importance of a stable board for downwind speed, especially over a long period of time. There’s something to be said for a large planning surface too.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 11:19:46 AM »
Thank you all.  Also worth mentioning is Kai Lenny's time of 2:29 on the foil, amazing.  The rise of downwind foiling is one of the reasons the SUP division is smaller than a few years ago.
toolate: In the M2O race, the stock division is 14', anything over 14' or with a rudder is considered Unlimited division.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 12:04:44 PM »
What Kai does on a foil beggars belief. But how many people have the time, resources, conditions and physical ability to DW foil? Surely this is going to remain the most extraordinarily niche sub-genre of SUP? It might just do some damage to the M2O SUP race though.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 03:14:37 PM »
Kai was exactly 3 hours faster. That's crazy. While all you sup'rs where out slugging away, Kai was.....? and a few beers. Did he even use a paddle?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2019, 07:24:45 PM »
Anyone see this downwind foil board??? .... Saber Tooth! 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 07:44:49 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 11:31:47 AM »
Well done Robert. I feel a bit like jello at the end of a 10 km downwinder, so it's crazy to imagine holding it together physically and mentally for 50+ km.

What time did James Casey finish in on his unlimited sup, and who was the second place sup?

I wonder if the sabre tooth fin on the foil sup board is to help it paddle in a straight line without yawing when not foiling. I would be inclined to use a more blunt toothed fin to reduce my chances of accidentally stabbing myself to death.

Do you think the specialized downwind foils are getting a lot better, or the just the riders are getting better, or both? Do the downwind foil improvements make it any easier for normal people to do downwind foiling?
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2019, 04:50:23 PM »
What Kai does on a foil beggars belief. But how many people have the time, resources, conditions and physical ability to DW foil? Surely this is going to remain the most extraordinarily niche sub-genre of SUP? It might just do some damage to the M2O SUP race though.

I have been DW foiling now for quite some time and the more I do it the easier it gets and with gear just getting better and easier to use I think Dw foiling  will be pretty accessible for most people.

Yes you will not just be able to go and buy a foil and go DW but the whole learning curve is crazy fun. There are things you can do to make it easier and IMO what has put a lot of people off at the start is just not using the right gear. It also helps if you have good conditions where you live.

In Aus now we have heaps of people DW foiling and many I am sure who now have it who once thought it might be to hard.
I just seen a vid from a bunch of Aussies who just went to Maui and who were all killing it DW and I would say they are all late 40's and 50's

Just get the right gear and spend the time learning the right way and it will all come together. If  anyone wants to learn and is having trouble just ask myself or any of the crew who are doing it and we are all super happy to share any tips to help make it easier.

Anyone heading to Hood river this year and wants to learn more just hit me up as I am always happy to talk foil and SUP.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 04:52:27 PM by Jacko »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2019, 08:10:17 PM »
Anyone heading to Hood river this year and wants to learn more just hit me up as I am always happy to talk foil and SUP.

Tell that to Angie. It is now twice I’ve chased her down Viento asking her to try the hollow dugout she was riding but she was too busy kicking Stephanie’s ass ;D
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal