Author Topic: Wingfoiling from the Getgo??  (Read 7883 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Wingfoiling from the Getgo??
« on: September 12, 2019, 08:18:25 AM »
Is it nuts to think I could try to learn to wingfoil, with no prior foil experience?

Just wondering--you effing darkside people!!!  grrr, im feeling poorer just thinking about this....

I was an intermediate WS'er, never in waves, but down to a 4.0 often, hitting 60% of my jibes. had a great time a few years back when, after a long hiatus i rented gear at lake arenal. wow had the gear improved--easier waterstarts, instant plane, better balanced sails harnesses etc.

But really, it looks more doable with the wing than trying to time little waves. And I aint got no boat...or friends....with boats....

surely none of you darksiders have an opinion about this
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wingfoiling from the Getgo??
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 08:24:38 AM »
Check with Admin, Chan and Julie Schreyer. They all had no real foil experience before starting. Julie is doing Maliko downwinders with a wingfoil. That's like teaching yourself to drive and working your way up to Formula One.

Admin and Chan are both up and foiling. I'm convinced they'd be better off even now if they spent some time behind a boat, and said that as recently as yesterday. Chan's dismissal and derision was so absolute that I shut up immediately.

I do think it's nuts, but it's obviously feasible. I think windsurfing experience is a mixed bag of benefit and shit you have to unlearn, just like prior longboarding experience. I still have a tendancy to sheet in when I should be changing the angle of attack of the wing by pulling down on the trailing edge. Sheeting in makes your carefully designed airfoil into a bedsheet.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 08:29:09 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 08:50:21 AM »
Hey Eastbound, been wondering the same thing. I taught myself to windsurf and wave sail in the early 90s Grenadines where the trade winds howl.  I had many walks of shame and a few boat rescues bringing me home, but I finally got it. Half my problem was how to rig the sail..(no internet then)
As an advanced surfer, windsurfer and SUP surfer, I feel confident I could learn foiling (wing and SUP) but still I am going to take a couple lessons in Florida behind a jet ski with my own board so I can feel confident when I head back to the Caribbean.  Getting injured  by the foil is my biggest worry. On the island where I have a home, the best doctor is the one visiting on vacation. 

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 09:09:36 AM »
East,

It can certainly be done and the process is really fun.  You are going to dork out a lot and you are going to get a lot of comments to confirm that you look as silly as you feel.  Just prepare to laugh at yourself, stick with it and it will slowly come.  We have a joke (?) about 1% days.  Essentially, that we are improving 1% each day.  Yes, there are some 3% days (when we prematurely claim full success) but there are also plenty of minus 2% days.  It is a great feeling to be foiling at all.  As the foiling slowly becomes more of each session it is really rewarding.  We all still suck on our off sides (although I had a 3% offside day yesterday :) ).  That is frustrating because you end up spending a lot more time dragging ass on your offside than enjoying your strong side. 

Some very important factors are gear and conditions.  Too windy or too large a wing can really set you back.  It can lead to leaning your weight out and back which will keep your from learning the right body position.  Foil choice is huge as well.  There are big differences there and you may need to experiment a bit to get that right.  Also, a lot of the advice that you will get is very partial.  You will hear a lot of tips focused on one body part or another.  This is a very 3 dimensional deal.  Listen loosely. 

We know two people who tried and hated the boat process.  Both were trying to learn to SUP foil and both quit at the boat.  That would not be for me.  I am a head and wall guy. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 09:22:46 AM by Admin »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 09:21:26 AM »
We all still suck on our off side still (although I had a 3% offside day yesterday :) ).  That is frustrating because you end up spending a lot more time dragging ass on your offside than enjoying your strong side. 

Why do any offside?  If you are ONLY windfoiling then you may not even have footstraps.  As a windsurfer we were used to switching feet 100% of the time on each new tack.  Just do that!

I am considering dual front footstraps if / when I get into Wingfoiling.  This is what the foil windsurfers are doing.   

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 09:26:23 AM »
Admin, are you wearing a helmet and protective vest?

I see some people wear wetsuits and boots to protect against hitting the foil. The booties are fine, but a full wetsuit in 90 degree heat of the Caribbean might be tough
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 09:33:59 AM »
We all still suck on our off side still (although I had a 3% offside day yesterday :) ).  That is frustrating because you end up spending a lot more time dragging ass on your offside than enjoying your strong side. 

Why do any offside?  If you are ONLY windfoiling then you may not even have footstraps.  As a windsurfer we were used to switching feet 100% of the time on each new tack.  Just do that!

I am considering dual front footstraps if / when I get into Wingfoiling.  This is what the foil windsurfers are doing.

Hi Beasho,

I should have been more clear.  We have all been switching our feet after jibing.  It is just less intuitive to foil offside for us.  I expected that to be relatively easy as a windsurfer and I can ride well switch on a snowboard (although that was awkward at first as well).  This is still fighting me.  Yesterday, I tried to ride toeside for a while after a jibe.  It was OK for a short while on the surface but I think that will need to be a future goal.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 09:38:50 AM »
Admin, are you wearing a helmet and protective vest?

I see some people wear wetsuits and boots to protect against hitting the foil. The booties are fine, but a full wetsuit in 90 degree heat of the Caribbean might be tough

I'm not.  I bought a vest and wore it for a while but I don't any longer.  It is likely a good idea but they make me focus on safety and that makes me hesitant.  I go in my shorty or shorts (read that again but I am going to leave it). 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal