Author Topic: KeNalu Mana 90 or Ho’oloa 95 for foiling  (Read 31217 times)

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
KeNalu Mana 90 or Ho’oloa 95 for foiling
« on: July 25, 2019, 08:03:26 AM »
I use a KeNalu Maliko 95 since for 5 years now , cut it to -2 inches

I want to try going a bit longer for foiling so have to get another paddle.

I was thinking of  a KeNalu  Mana 90 or  Ho’oloa 95.

Which one is the best choice for foiling and how short or long should I cut my paddle for foiling?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: KeNalu Mana 90 or Ho’oloa 95 for foiling
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 08:24:57 AM »
Depends on your stroke style. I use a Mana 90 because I get a little frantic going for a wave and my stroke suffers. The Mana works fine with a slightly screwed stroke.

I went through a short phase of missing too many waves last winter. I thought I might not be getting enough acceleration so I switched to the Konihi 95, but it felt like it was stuck in concrete and I started yanking myself off the board, so I went back to the Mana. Turned out I had just screwed up my footstrap position when I changed the handle.

I've never tried a Ho'oloa, but I like the Mana a lot.

I have my surf paddle length set to about two inches lower than my wrist. I added an inch to that for foiling with Mr. Fugly because it's so thick. When I started foiling with Little Fugly my paddle felt too long, because the smaller Fugly has a lot less volume so I was sitting close to the water. I dropped it back to usual surf height and it feels fine.

I need a new name for Little Fugly, because it's really not Fugly at all--kind of pretty actually.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 08:29:45 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 09:50:43 AM »
I use the Ke Nalu xTuf Maliko 95 to foil, after starting with the Wiki 84. I like the bigger blade simply because my entrance is just one or two really strong pulls as I trypump the board up onto the wing...if I'm not flying by stroke #3 I spin around and go get something else.

That in comparison is a lot different than how I paddled into a wave on my sup, where used shorter, quicker strokes which the smaller blade made easier throwing around, and maneuvering with, and where half a dozen or more strokes were't unusual before dropping in on some of the more gutless waves we'll get around here...and why really I went to the foil in the first place.  :)

EDIT: Oh, and my paddles were cut to head height from when I was suping, and I haven't found that I needed to change them to foil with. Same comfortable reach, and take off length when I'm on the water paddling, and once in the air I don't use it but every now and then as a feeler to hopefully feel the water if I think I'm getting a little too high...or to judge my height just before setting it into a turn.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:14:47 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 02:56:57 PM »
I use a Molokai 105 and it works well for me since I'm on the heavier side with more power than speed.  I recently "upgraded" to a Mana 90 which is incredibly smooth and feels amazing in the water.  But it is ultimately just not powerful enough for me and I went back to the 105.  Is there a different KeNalu paddle that is smooth like the Mana, but with a bit more power?  Anyone want to trade for my Mana 90 paddlehead?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 03:13:47 PM »
Before you ditch the Mana try changing your stroke a little. concentrate on pushing the blade down more than pulling it. You'll get used to it quickly and it greatly increases the catch of the Mana.

If you use the same technique with a Konihi 95 it will have much more catch than the Molokai 105, but you might not like it. I have an old Konihi 95 I'd be willing to trade for a Mana 90 but you might want to try the stroke difference first. Otherwise PM me with your address and I'll send it to you. It's not pretty, its seen a lot of miles, but it's solid.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 05:35:30 PM »
Ho’oloa rocks, My favorite !

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 11:24:47 PM »
Before you ditch the Mana try changing your stroke a little. concentrate on pushing the blade down more than pulling it. You'll get used to it quickly and it greatly increases the catch of the Mana.

Thanks, will try this.  The mana is so buttery smooth, I hate to give up on it.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 12:36:41 AM »
I have my surf paddle length set to about two inches lower than my wrist. I added an inch to that for foiling with Mr. Fugly because it's so thick. When I started foiling with Little Fugly my paddle felt too long, because the smaller Fugly has a lot less volume so I was sitting close to the water. I dropped it back to usual surf height and it feels fine.
Two inches lower than your wrist, is that 5 or 6 inches overhead?

I wanted to start at 2 inch overhead....that's 4 inch longer than the paddle I use now

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 07:50:14 AM »
Probably more like eight inches. I had my surf paddle quite a bit shorter than this before I started using the Johnny Puakea/Dave Kalama stroke. Pushing down hard at the beginning of the stroke doesn't stress my shoulder. When the blade is fully buried my upper arm is parallel to the board, so everything I'm doing feels fine--it's roughly the same as having the paddle length just above your head and NOT burying the blade. The pulling part of the stroke starts with the blade fully buried and all the air off the back of the blade, so the catch is immediate, which means the most valuable part of the stroke--the first few inches--is fully powered. Continuing to push down as you stroke keeps air off the blade. I can take very short, quick strokes and get much more acceleration than one long stroke. Takes a lot of energy of course, but it's not coming from little arm muscles, it's coming from legs and core.

It sounds like something you'd have to practice and perfect, and like it would go away when you're frantic, going for a big wave, but really all that matters is pushing down. If you do it for a day or two it's completely natural and automatic.

For me, the Konihi 82 is a big blade--as long as I keep pushing down. And it helps reinforce the method since it gurgles like crazy and doesn't catch if you don't do it fully. The Mana is more forgiving, but it benefits as much or more from the stroke. If you look at the two blades you'll see why. The Konihi has wings that extend 2/3 of the length of the blade. The Mana is about 1/3. If you don't bury the Mana blade it acts like a regular blade. You'd have to just dip the tip of the Konihi to have the same effect.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 07:53:15 AM by PonoBill »

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 12:38:50 AM »
I just hope I won't get shoulder problems when with a longer paddle.
This time of year the are very very small and I have to paddle like a maniac to get flying.

But I will get a Mana 90 , Xtuff(s) shaft and this long handle and keep it at +2 inches for a start.

Or perhaps I should increase paddle length slowly , inch by inch?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 01:32:01 AM by soepkip »

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 11:04:08 AM »
Mana worked a lot better on the last two sessions, thanks for the advise about pushing down during the stroke.  Mana 90, XTuff(S), T-handle makes for a sweet paddle.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal