Author Topic: New Jersey Heat  (Read 5579 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
New Jersey Heat
« on: July 24, 2019, 12:56:54 PM »
Finally some decent swell here in NJ this summer.
Enjoy Zoners and stay stoked!
surfercook  8)
(Cross posted in General Discussion)

https://youtu.be/KHho6gak23k
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: New Jersey Heat
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 01:25:22 PM »
Nice Mark! 

We got lucky yesterday for sure, most of Monmouth County was without power, so "some of us" hung out the closed sign and went surfing!  (Others, less fortunate, went Golfing...) 

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 01:50:02 PM »
flowzone!

nice vid, cookie------not to be a buzzkill but hope your heel's well healed---warm water..................

LB hit nicely yesterday---finally

not bad this morning too

doldrums resume............

i thought of your heel because i surfed with a bad cut on the tip of my thumb (moron cuts himself prepping vegetables)--i was worried about bacteria (and what ever else) given the incredible amount of rain we had before and during the swell----so i butterflied the cut, then draped 3 big pieces of tegaderm over the thumbtip, then put on 3 "finger cots" (reverse condoms for fingertips--they keep fluid out!), sealing each with waterproof tape----upshot: i tore 2/3 of the finger cot layers during the sesh but the cut stayed bone dry--no water got past the third cot, and there was tegaderm after that----first time ive had success keeping a cut dry---tegaderm on its own is pretty good, but tends to peel off in suit etc---cut's healing fine---now i ripped up my knees a little--they were all virgin, in boardshorts, after 10 months in full wetsuit--sprayed the shit out of the abrasions with alcohol--not sure what else can be done

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 03:34:17 PM »
Nice waves, and nice smooth style.

Is that a Soloshot, or do you have someone filming?

Thought I was going to have a stroke yesterday morning. No wind, air temp 90°F, water temp 82°F, and humidity hovering at 85%...

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 05:04:20 PM »
Nice Cook!!!!

what a different water temp from MoCo.....still bathwater and trunks up here.

Although our waves were probably half that size on the south swell!  Need to get back to LBI!

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 06:17:57 PM »
Really nice video cookieman!
Looking good on your PSH.

Happy to see waves somewhere this summer!

My SUP surf buddy Terry is on LBI this week... excellent musician, you guys would hit it off.
If you see some happy Irish SUPster on a longer SUP.... say hi!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 07:12:59 PM »
Most of Monmouth County was without power, so "some of us" hung out the closed sign and went surfing!  (Others, less fortunate, went Golfing...)
Guessin' you were hittin' the waves and not golf balls. Also guessin' your SOLOSHOT stayed home. Shame shame. :-*

flowzone! I hope your heel's well healed I surfed with a bad cut on the tip of my thumb so I butterflied the cut, then draped 3 big pieces of tegaderm over the thumbtip, then put on 3 "finger cots"
"Flowzone"! I like that! Future video title? Never heard of tegaderm. Funny, I asked my wife if she had ever heard of it and she actually had a picture of it on her phone to show me. Fin cut is healing slowly. I was seven days dry dock until the three hours I put in yesterday. Waves were WAY too good to pass up.

Nice smooth style.  Is that a Soloshot, or do you have someone filming? Thought I was going to have a stroke yesterday morning. No wind, air temp 90°F, water temp 82°F, and humidity hovering at 85%.
Thanx on the smooth style comment. Keeping our surfing smooth is something we all need to strive for. Guessing you didn't watch the credits at the end! Check for video source.  :P We have just exited our heat wave. Yours sounds just as brutal. Don't collapse on us Oki!

What a different water temp from MoCo.....still bathwater and trunks up here. Although our waves were probably half that size on the south swell!  Need to get back to LBI!
When we get those strong south winds accompanied w/offshores right afterwards a serious up-welling effect takes place and that's when the water dips down. I was the only one in trunks but did add a 1mil top and boots. All the proners were in full suits. Would be super cool to have you visit me for another sesh.

Looking good on your PSH.
My SUP surf buddy Terry is on LBI this week... excellent musician, you guys would hit it off.
If you see some happy Irish SUPster on a longer SUP.... say hi!
Thanx, Creek. That PSH is a sweet ride for sure. Toss your bud my cell and tell him to contact me. Always willing to welcome another musician/surfer into my circle.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:15:14 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 07:46:54 PM »
Looks like you had your Hull Ripper dialed in with a quad fin setup for those waves.

And I did notice your 62 degree F water temperature. Our beach water temperature right now where I am is 84 degrees F.

Thanks for your sharing your video.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 11:07:13 PM »
Interesting that the water in NJ is colder than NH.

We are around 67 degrees right now.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 03:10:48 AM »
Most of Monmouth County was without power, so "some of us" hung out the closed sign and went surfing!  (Others, less fortunate, went Golfing..)

Guessin' you were hittin' the waves and not golf balls. Also guessin' your SOLOSHOT stayed home. Shame shame. :-*

Surfed a full 18 holes (4+ hours)😁  We were lucky, no significant upwelling up here either, so pretty warm.  And yes the SS 2 remains unused, (other than some practice shots in the back yard, over a year ago)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 03:42:01 AM »
cookie, they make the tegaderm with gauze, as in your wife's pic, and also in sheets, without the gauze----tegaderm on top of that cut, carefully inserted in a bootie, might well keep the cut dry

whatever you do, get it clean, whether by irrigating with hibiclens or peroxide or alcohol, or washing with hot soapy water, immediately after you get out

weve got a zoner who got attacked by a shark at CC--biggie, the media superstar!

dont want no zoners with some bad bacteria or virus

and yeah, nice summer sesh!! amazing how starved one can get
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 06:45:28 AM »
Nice smooth style.  Is that a Soloshot, or do you have someone filming? Thought I was going to have a stroke yesterday morning. No wind, air temp 90°F, water temp 82°F, and humidity hovering at 85%.
Thanx on the smooth style comment. Keeping our surfing smooth is something we all need to strive for. Guessing you didn't watch the credits at the end! Check for video source.  :P We have just exited our heat wave. Yours sounds just as brutal. Don't collapse on us Oki!

Guilty... I clicked out as soon as the first credit screen popped up  :-[

Been thinking about the Soloshot, but just about everywhere I surf is too far out, or down the coast with no place to put it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal