Author Topic: Foil Setup Questions  (Read 4779 times)

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Foil Setup Questions
« on: July 24, 2019, 10:44:25 AM »
Team Foilers,
If you had the choice, which would you choose for 2-5 foot swell at say 10 seconds: (See Below)

Conditions:
These a mashed up piles(2-5 foot, 10-15 second period) that are often white by the time we are dropping. Definitely foilable.

Rider Skill level:
I am able to get up onto the wing IWA 170 on 93% of the waves I attempt. Here I have been able to fly up to 400+ yards on a 3-4 foot wave. Total flights, roughly 60-80.

Board:
Starboard Hypernut 7'4x30 106L

Rider
Handsome, 160LBS depending on time of day.

2) Small, Medium or larger wing (for example IWA 160, 170 or Maliko 200)? (Rider weight ~160LBS)

3) Trimmed Maliko Tail wing, or stock Maliko tail wing?

I find my IWA 170 to be faster in the wave and also catching the wave but the latter may be in my head. I tried the 200 and it seemed sluggish so I moved back to the 170. I also have a IWA 160 that I am going to try.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
-red

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foil Setup Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 03:09:15 PM »
there's 2 kinds of IWA?...i didn't kbow that...anyway the hot setup is... big mast always...with base plate even better...IWA wing the red one...blue tail cut to 8.25in each side...

GoFoil!😁

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 04:34:18 PM »
I heard and see the 160 blue (is this 1st generation) but didn't know is an IWA name and I can't provide you what setup as I'm only a newbie and still learning on the GoFoil  :D
My set are the 28.5 mast, front wings M200 & IWA 170, rear wings Kai and Maliko at 80kg/179lb. I am thinking about getting the Kai front wing just to try.

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 05:46:04 PM »
I weigh the same as you and run an axis setup with 750mm mast, 920 or 820 wing and 400 back wing.
gofoil equivelant is probably 29,5 mast, Iwa and Kai back wing?

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 05:40:05 PM »
I'm 205, 138l board, shit wind swell most of the time, not very powerful waves the other & I like the Iwa better than the Maliko 200.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 08:49:57 PM »
Thanks for all the responses! You guys are awesome. 
Steamroller:
The guy that sold it to me called it an IWA 160 to me it is very similar to the 170. See pics here. http://gato.net/foil/IWA160/. The pics kind of suck but the main difference is the shaft mount hole and housing. The 160 has an elongated neck. The width and length from leading to trailing edge are the same. The 160 may be slightly smaller in volume??. The tips of the wing seem a bit more swooped down if that makes sense. anyway. Again maybe he was fibbing me. FYI. It fits loose on the mast compared to the 170 which is a bear to get on and off. You mention a base plate. Please elaborate. I have tuttle.

JEG
Cool. Do you feel that the 170 is faster to fly? Meaning faster paddle in flat water and then quicker to fly on the drop?

kiwi
Awesome, thanks for the Axis comparison. I wanted to try one of those at some point.

supfoo
Thanks, I am also liking the 170 better than the 200 at this point. See my response to JEG above and see what you think.

I am going to start using my taller mast. 29.5 I think, My IWA 170 and then I am going to cut down one of my maliko tail wings, per @johndrums specs in other thread.

Ill report back on my progress. Again. Thanks all.
-red

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 11:29:12 PM »
cutting down the tail will really liven up the 200 and broaden its range.  Before it was just too sluggish turning and too slow and I rarely use it even when the waves are tiny. good luck!  you are fortunate to have two maliko tails, which makes this a risk free option.  If you don't like it, you can always use the other one that isn't cut down.  Ultimately that's what gave me the confidence to cut mine down, but now I haven't even thought about touching the original.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal