Author Topic: Want to cut down IWA tail, need a favor  (Read 10885 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Want to cut down IWA tail, need a favor
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 11:28:54 PM »
I figured I should post a long term update.  I don't think I will use the maliko tail anymore.  I tried out the smaller tail also with the Maliko 200 front wing, and I think that might have been an even better improvement than with the IWA.  That setup is just totally alive - I used to hem and haw about having to ride the 200 in small conditions because it is so slow and unresponsive compared to the IWA.  With just a slightly smaller rear wing, you get the best of both worlds - the lift of a big wing with the maneuverability of the original IWA.  Also, the ultra-slow mode with high pitch angle that I mentioned is there on the bigger wing too.  Now that I'm used to it, it is super useful in getting back into position on slow or soft waves.  I highly recommend making the modification, it has really taken my foiling to a different and more fun place.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 06:34:06 AM »
I tried a smaller stabilizer and didn't like it. I suspect it might be a weight issue. I weigh 235. What do you weigh?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 08:39:33 AM »
thanks for posting....i just cut my blue tail last night...going to guve it a try today!...happy 4th!
 ;)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 10:44:19 PM »
I'm 205.  I could imagine it is just a preference and style thing.  I really like that the wing feels a lot more balanced - doesn't need front foot overweighting on a steep drop.  The tradeoff is that it is much more touchy on height control - gotta make finer adjustments.  And the other thing that I like is how much more maneuverable it is, slashing turns are much easier.  That just might not match your style or wave type.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2019, 11:30:10 PM »
im 238# on a 5'2" prone board with iwa wing....cut the tails to 8.25" each side....works BITCHEN!...waaay berrter turney and waaay better pumping ability....got a 4 for 1 today first time on a prone board.....pumping ability is now close to equal me SUP with the paddle....kikass!

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2019, 05:25:09 PM »
I made a new observation:  the cut down tail allows me to "skid out" the rear end a little bit - almost a rail slide.  This is most available when I'm riding high (I guess with the least mast in the water).  I could never do this with the stock setup.

I have a theory that this is because effectively, the center of lift moved rearward (less tail down-lift).  This puts the center of lift closer to the mast - kind of like moving fins forward in the fin-box.  Because the mast isn't trailing the center of lift as much, it can get loose.

This might also be what is happening with the tilt-mast I've been hearing about.

Seems like this same thing could be accomplished (or countered) by a mast/fuse where the mast placed further forward or rearward with respect to the center of lift.  Are there any foils where the placement of the mast to foil is adjustable?  I wonder if different brands have different placements?

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 11:48:58 PM »
Yes and yes. Slingshot? Ride engine I think let’s you put the mast in different spots on the fuselage.

Naish and go foil have the mast at different spots on the fuselage when compared to front wing.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 09:12:29 AM »
Awesome discussion johndrums. Thanks for starting this.

I believe the Kai tail is smaller than the Maliko tail. I don't have a Kai tail but I now have two blue Maliko tails.

I learned on my IWA 170 front wing and will continue to ride that, my 200 and i have a 160 now.

john, all the talk about getting up to fly easier and more glide have me going.

Anyone cut down a Maliko tail?

-red

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 09:37:28 AM »
IWA tail is the same as the Maliko tail, so yes, that's what I cut down

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2019, 11:47:06 PM »
A little more DIY info, since I got some questions privately.

I used these diamond cutting wheels on a dremel - cheap chinese crap, but they worked totally fine and you can't beat the price
Diamond Cutoff Wheel Assortment
Run the dremel at high speed - it'll cut through like butter, but make sure you keep the blade straight.  Best results by clamping the wing to something stable rather than hand-holding the workpiece.

ABSOLUTELY MUST wear a decent dust mask.  Breathing carbon fiber dust is bad for you.
3M Mask
and
Filter

Final sanding, use a block of wood as a backer for the sandpaper.
By far the best sandpaper out there

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal