Author Topic: Optimal working bandwidth in paddles  (Read 2372 times)

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Optimal working bandwidth in paddles
« on: July 22, 2019, 04:07:15 PM »
Just wanted to share something I noticed a while back and see if you guys notice a difference in working bandwidth in paddles. Or if there even is such a thing.
I’ve been paddling the 84 and the 90 sq in Ke Nalu elite paddles for quite a while now. I love the paddles but I’ve noticed they have a very narrow optimal functioning bandwidth. What I mean by that is that the paddle is the fastest when it’s quiet and there are no swirls or any water noises for that matter. Once you hear any noise with this paddle your speed will go down quite a bit. I like it because it lets you know right away if your technique is off and forces you to correct your stroke. A while back I’ve tried a qb trifecta and it seemed like it didn’t get that feedback. The paddle was much more quiet even if my stroke was off a bit and the speed didn’t seem to suffer too much. In my opinion the paddles were quite comparable in speed even though there are other reviews on here saying something different. The main difference was in how forgiving they were.
That makes me wonder if you guys noticed any drastic differences in the optimal working bandwidths of paddles. This becomes quite important in distance races where fatigue will slowly impact your paddle technique and a paddle with a narrower working bandwidth will cost you more time in the end. Would love to read your opinions and see what the most forgiving paddle is in your opinion.

Cheers! Rob.
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Optimal working bandwidth in paddles
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 07:51:01 PM »
I think you'll find the Quickblade V-Drive as the paddle with the most bandwidth, very forgiving technic wise not so much on the physical side.

Things do get messier if you choose blade size beyond your ability, though
it's not unique to this blade design, just more pronounced.

As for Trifecta, I'll agree with you that it's noise feedback is not as pronounced
as with other blades but if you'll tell me that you haven't noticed speed difference, I'll say you never took a good stroke with it.

The ups and downs of this blade couldn't be more apart. The only place this
blade is forgiving is on the physical aspect (shoulder load) IMO
in progress...

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 03:06:13 AM »
I think you'll find the Quickblade V-Drive as the paddle with the most bandwidth, very forgiving technic wise not so much on the physical side.

Things do get messier if you choose blade size beyond your ability, though
it's not unique to this blade design, just more pronounced.

As for Trifecta, I'll agree with you that it's noise feedback is not as pronounced
as with other blades but if you'll tell me that you haven't noticed speed difference, I'll say you never took a good stroke with it.

The ups and downs of this blade couldn't be more apart. The only place this
blade is forgiving is on the physical aspect (shoulder load) IMO

You may be right about the trifecta. It’s been quite a while since I tested it and it was just for a lap around the local lake.
Regarding blade sizes, I started with 100 sq in blades, even bought a 110 qb before going down in size years ago. I have to correct myself by the way. The two KeNalus I’m using are 84 and 95. Just packed them into the car for today. I did try the v-drive a while back too. Probably not long enough either but can’t remember much of a difference to the KeNalu. Any other recommendations? How do Hipposticks or Black Project Hydro compare? Sometimes I think a ~90 sq in paddle would be ideal. I have a qb elite 90 but cut it way short for my 5’ tall wife 😁. I’m 5’10”.

Rob
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 06:44:13 AM »
I have a qb elite 90 but cut it way short for my 5’ tall wife .

If you’re looking for a paddle for your wife, I’ve got two, 75 sq. inch ZRE paddles, cut at 72 1/2” for sale. Should also be able to cut them down as the T-grip is hot glued. Just sayin’.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 08:09:35 AM »
The Konihi 84 is well known for requiring an impeccable technique at all time. I have always found it very fast during the first 5km and then slowing down as technique drops. That eas not the cade with the Mana 82 which is less demanding.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 08:10:19 AM »
The Konihi 84 is well known for requiring an impeccable technique at all time. I have always found it very fast during the first 5km and then slowing down as technique drops. That eas not the cade with the Mana 82 which is less demanding.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 09:19:17 AM »
I've become used to the demands of the 84 Konihi, in fact, I can't use anything else for downwinding. The 95 is too big, the Mana doesn't have the immediate catch that lets me take a few quick, short strokes to get on a bump. I like the V-drive, and I agree that it's very forgiving, but its catch comes a little slower as well. The 84 Konihi requires that you push down as you stroke. If you do that you can be a little sloppy with everything else. The reward is early catch, which is too hard on my shoulders with the 95. but perfect with the 84.

Like Luc, I tend to be slower at the end when I start forgetting to bury the blade, but it's become so automatic that it doesn't happen until I'm tired or distracted.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 09:32:15 AM »
Since you're on the Kenalu family, I'll second the Mana 82.
Very forgiving and pleasant blade. Not the fastest for me
but very good all around and you'll only need to buy a blade
as you already have shafts.
in progress...

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 06:06:49 PM »
I've become used to the demands of the 84 Konihi, in fact, I can't use anything else for downwinding. The 95 is too big, the Mana doesn't have the immediate catch that lets me take a few quick, short strokes to get on a bump. I like the V-drive, and I agree that it's very forgiving, but its catch comes a little slower as well. The 84 Konihi requires that you push down as you stroke. If you do that you can be a little sloppy with everything else. The reward is early catch, which is too hard on my shoulders with the 95. but perfect with the 84.

Like Luc, I tend to be slower at the end when I start forgetting to bury the blade, but it's become so automatic that it doesn't happen until I'm tired or distracted.

I agree with the tired or distracted statement. I tried a new pair of earbuds the other day and was surprised how slow I was. Today I went out without the distractions and had a 0.3mph higher average over 6 miles than the other day in comparable conditions. Even with falling in once. I managed to find the only 1 sq ft shallow spot of this lake with my fin. 🤣. I got sloppy towards the end but when I concentrated on my stroke I was able to get the same speed as at the beginning of the workout.
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 01:31:49 AM »
I agree with Burchas. You need good technique with the Trifecta, but the vdrive will work pretty much whatever you do with it. So I use a vdrive, mostly... and the smallest blade they have, to ease the strain on the body that such a good catch gives.

The Trifecta is very kind to the body, however, and encourages good technique, both of which are useful things to have in a paddle.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal