Author Topic: Mast position in tracks vary by wave size  (Read 2652 times)

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mast position in tracks vary by wave size
« on: July 22, 2019, 10:03:16 AM »
Just picked up a new Foil Sup with tracks as opposed to tuttle.  Was curious if you guys change your mast position when conditions change or just leave it in the same location.  I have had it out a handful of sessions and feel like i have a good position for when the waves have some push.  Was planning on experimenting tomorrow but wanted to know what the brain trust thought here :)

For your troubles, below are pix of my new board.  Not as sexy as wings but still eye candy.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Mast position in tracks vary by wave size
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 11:46:15 PM »
I put my foil as far forward as possible when the waves are small and slow in my JP 7'0 and I move it 1 inch back at the most when the waves are bigger /faster.

When I use my Duotone 5 m2 wind wing I move it back about 3 inches and with a windsurf sail I move it back about 5 inches or even more.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 05:28:29 AM »
I use different sized and brand wings depending on the wave. I marked the bottom of my board so I know where the best position is for each brand of wing since mast and bases are different. So far all my wings have been more towards the back of the board, I like my mast to be just ahead of the lift of the kick pad.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 08:21:33 AM »
I'm more the "flkiter" method...I change from the three Go Foil wings I have with an opposite correlation to wave size (small wave=big wing, big wave=small wing), and don't change mast or foot positioning.

However, if I were only rocking one wing (and/or a straight mast ;) :D)...well then yes, I'd be moving the mast, and/or my foot positioning depending on the size of the swell we were looking at.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 09:34:44 AM »
I moved the mast forward up half inch and definitely felt like i could get into the weak waves that were on tap this morning.  Also felt like it allowed me to stay with the energy easier too.

So until i amass a quiver of masts (straight, angle) and wing sizes, moving the mast around in the tracks seems to be the minimalist way to go for me.  However, I would like to get a bigger wing for small days....some day

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 10:19:03 AM »
I am surprised to see Dave putting tracks in his boards now.  He was dead set against using them due to failures and would only install tuttles.  What is he doing now when he installs the tracks to keep them in place?
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal