Author Topic: review of the 8’10” Sunova Steeze by an intermediate  (Read 15977 times)

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
review of the 8’10” Sunova Steeze by an intermediate
« on: July 21, 2019, 06:53:06 AM »
I really love reading reviews on this site, so I thought I should add my own:

About 4 months ago ago, I purchased a lightly-used Sunova Steeze 8’10” 125 liters 30 inches wide. I’ve found it called a “funboard” shape. It seems like it is a fat longboard. And I love it.

I am coming down from of a Fanatic Allwave 8’9”, which is an inch shorter and 2 inches wider with about 20 extra liters of volume. I thought this board was really slow and "corky" especially when I tried some other boards.  I am an beginning intermediate, or advanced beginner. I am 5’11” and 195 lbs — (90 kg) putting me at a ratio of 1.33 to 1 weight to volume. I started (paddle) surfing a 2 years ago having never surfed before. I can bottom turn, sometimes I think I can top turn, but the crowded Rockaways NYC beach breaks often are swarming with better-than-me surfers on the jetties. 

The first time out on the Steeze, I got killed. There was a lot of chop and backwash, and the short period swell kept me falling into the water. It seemed super tippy and difficult. I took it out the next day, when the winds had died down (as well as the swell) and I did much better. Okay, I can do this I thought. The next few sessions were more challenging with lots of chop, but it was way easier to adjust to than my Allwave was. Of course on the Allwave I went form 187 to 145 liters, while on this board it is 145 to 125.  I upgraded to both boards in the winter, so there is the added weight and constriction of a winter wetsuit to contend with.

I love this board. It is great at catching waves.  Once it get a little push from a wave, its really agile and perky (as compared to my Allwave). It also gets over the white water quite easily. Trimming is fun on it as well, and I have been experimenting with cross-stepping and getting up to the nose on it, as the first owner put hexatraction on the front.  (I really need a bigger fin on the back though if I really want to try and hang my toes). I feel like it has helped my with my technique a lot, as it seems quite sensitive to my movements. I also feel that it never pearls when on a wave, which also might be because I am getting better. I also like the stomp pad at the back. It not only seems to be in the perfect place, but gives me something to grab onto when I am in the whitewater and want to keep my board under control https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,34113.0.html  Also, really well constructed. Paddle seems to leave little or no marks on it, although again I am getting better at getting my paddle in and out of the water cleanly.

I find that it isn’t terribly forgiving with position. I really have to be in the right spot in order to stand, especially in the chop. I assume that this is also why it is helping my technique so much. I also find that when I am paddling through the chop, it pearls easily, and needs a lot of bracing — I have a feeling this happens as one get closer to 1:1 volume. One more “negative” is that popping up took me a few sessions to figure out: I have to rock the board back a bit to get the nose out of the water before I stand.   

Oh, and the carrying handle. People have complained a lot about the LiftSUP handle. It took me maybe 3 times to adjust. Sure, I would like to have a regular handle when I am out in the water as it is easier to grab in the white-water. But it does really make the board easy to carry, and even with my winter gloves, it isn’t really a problem for me.

Overall I love my Steeze, despite it having perhaps the dorkiest sounding name in surfing. But riding a paddle board in the waves is already pretty damn kooky, so I might as well own it.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: review of the 8’10” Sunova Steeze by an intermediate
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 07:18:36 AM »
great review Supsean!    That or the Jimmy Lewis Destroyer shape is probably perfect for Rockaway the few times I have surfed there.

(Actually the best would be a Sup with a plow on the front of it to get through the crowds)

having rode it briefly at a demo- it was a wave eater- but still agile on the wave.  Great 'all terrain' shape.

I also had Hexa Traction on my Sunova Style.  Its a great compliment to the board to keep the great wood look- but let you get on the nose........Glad you are loving it.

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 08:20:29 AM »
Hi supsean,  why is sup surfing “pretty damn kooky”?

Glad your enjoying your Steeze.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 08:58:23 AM »
A standup paddleboard is just a type of surfboard. There is nothing kooky about riding one.

Kooks can be found riding every type of board. A kook is a kook. A board is a board.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 09:01:48 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 05:12:51 PM »
Nice write up supsean... good background and conversation.
You picked up on many of the fine point that define the Steeze.
Just the kind of review that people are looking for.

and it seems that "Steeze" is the opposite of Kooky....
according to hip Web slang dictionaries

Here are 3 that I found.  ;D ;D

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 06:45:49 PM »
Good review.

1.3-something is my ideal performance board, as well. I can ride smaller, but don't care to be constantly digging myself out of a hole. Part of what appeals to me about paddle surfing is standing and ease of moving around. I will go just over a mile to get to a good spot, either out, or down the coast, and it's the minimum size for me for distance paddling to breaks comfortably.

On pearling in the chop, with a more "performance" board, with thinned out nose and tail, I've found that a staggered stance while paddling goes a long way to prevent that. Shorter the board, the more front-rear control you need.

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 07:50:13 AM »

and it seems that "Steeze" is the opposite of Kooky....
according to hip Web slang dictionaries

I actually quite like the name and the fact that it rhymes with sneeze... and I like being slightly "kooky"...

It is a super cool looking board, and I get lots of second looks. But when you are the only sup-boarder in a crowded line up, you stick out and tend to get a lot of stink eye. I think as a sup-surfer you need a slightly thick skin and a sense of humor about things.

Good review.

1.3-something is my ideal performance board, as well. I can ride smaller, but don't care to be constantly digging myself out of a hole. Part of what appeals to me about paddle surfing is standing and ease of moving around. I will go just over a mile to get to a good spot, either out, or down the coast, and it's the minimum size for me for distance paddling to breaks comfortably.

On pearling in the chop, with a more "performance" board, with thinned out nose and tail, I've found that a staggered stance while paddling goes a long way to prevent that. Shorter the board, the more front-rear control you need.

agreed. The staggered stance, or at least being ready to stagger one's stance is key to getting around the chop. One day I'd like to stand on a closer to 1:1 board to see how much more difficult it is. But here on the east coast, it makes no sense to me to get one.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Scallop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 08:52:28 AM »
Nice review...I have the 9-6 and really like it.

I dropped 40 liters coming down to my 9-6 and had some similar early experiences with choppy conditions as you describe. I'm about your height but was 216 and in a 3/2 when I got the board (208 now) so that was as far down as I was willing to go. Definitely rewards with time put in.

I find with the thin nose it punches through strong wash going out rather than pop up over it. It will pop over unbroken waves for me no problem. Haven't had any paddling issues in chop with the nose going under and I'm a little forward using the wide point for stability but I'm always in some sort of offset stance.

Have you been able to hang it in the face of a wave yet? That really sold me on it the first time conditions lined up for it. The rail just hung the board there for me to walk forward. I run a 7" Smith/Parish cutaway with the stock Sunova 83s.

I'm finding it really versatile also. We had chest to head high here week before last from the storm (rare) and I had a blast dropping it over the lip as late as I could, handled it fine and super fun.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:03:09 AM by Scallop »
Sunova Steeze 9'6"
NSP Coco Flax Allrounder 10'11"
NSP Elements Allrounder 10'11"
Surftech 10'6"

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 10:36:22 AM »

I find with the thin nose it punches through strong wash going out rather than pop up over it. It will pop over unbroken waves for me no problem. Haven't had any paddling issues in chop with the nose going under and I'm a little forward using the wide point for stability but I'm always in some sort of offset stance.

Glad you mentioned it. Board is great with getting out over waves, either broken or unbroken. I can either punch through or go over--either is no problem.  Offset stance is becoming more standard for me. It also makes it much easier to get into a wave not to switch stances. But if I am parallel, I keep my feet quite close together, and just let the chop move under me.

Have you been able to hang it in the face of a wave yet? That really sold me on it the first time conditions lined up for it. The rail just hung the board there for me to walk forward. I run a 7" Smith/Parish cutaway with the stock Sunova 83s.

I'm finding it really versatile also. We had chest to head high here week before last from the storm (rare) and I had a blast dropping it over the lip as late as I could, handled it fine and super fun.

Enjoy!

I am not skilled enough to cross-step up and hang my toes over yet, but as far as trimming up and down the board, it really is so much fun on the Steeze. Been looking around for a big fin to hold it stable for a nose run.

Have yet to do anything head high here, but am excited for seeing how both it and I do in these conditions.

Funny, I originally was looking for a Creek, and didn't even think about this board until it came up used on the zone. But I really can't imagine another board that is more perfect for my progression. It allows me to learn the longboard type techniques as well as all of the shorter board turns as well.  And it fits perfectly in my apartment in Brooklyn.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 06:43:18 PM »
Here’s a post I did about a year and a half ago about the 8’10 STEEZE. Still have the board and still loving it! Definitely my “go to “ board!!
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,32872.msg372093.html#msg372093

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 08:08:56 PM »
Here’s a post I did about a year and a half ago about the 8’10 STEEZE. Still have the board and still loving it! Definitely my “go to “ board!!
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,32872.msg372093.html#msg372093
That  helped me to decide on buying it along with rick weeks and some seabreeze reviews. Great to see you are still using it a lot.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 07:41:14 AM »
Just used my Fanatic Allwave for a couple of sessions to give some perspective. I was much better on the Fanatic than I used to be. Much more fun. But it was boxy and slower. A couple of things to add to my review. One is that I still find the Steeze tippy. This is to be expected on a lower volume, narrower board. But I felt like the Creek was a bit more stable. Supthecreek can you give some input on this? Also, I do keep slipping on the Deckpad in bare feet. On the Allwave, I had the super cheap one with the thin grip and no tail kicker (I put one on thanks to a supthecreek video), and I feel like it had better grip. I will have to rough it up or wax it a bit.

Also, got it in some much bigger waves (3-5' according to Surfline), and the board seemed to handle it better than I did. Caught waves easily, but my backside top turn is apparently still a work in progress.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 04:34:46 PM »
Hi Sean...
In my 9'6 Steeze review, I point out the tippiness... because it surprised me when I jumped on it (evident in video)  ;D
That's why I wear my Kook Hat Cam whenever I get on a new board.... it catches my candid first impressions.
The Steeze is easier to paddle, than stand on, because the nose stabilizes it a bit underway.

I find my 9'4 Creek noticeably more stable than my 9'6 Steeze because the Creek is a full inch wider.

BUT... I have surfed the 8'10 of each (similar width at that size)
Never side by side, so I can't comment on which is tippier.
I find the 8'10 Steeze easier to use in weak waves than the 8'10 Creek because of the lower rocker and wider nose.

I find a narrower, closed "surf stance", is the best to keep the "tipping" smaller and more manageable. (pic below)

Some Sunova deckpads tend to be slippery when you first get them... maybe because of some dust on the rubber????
They get grippy pretty fast, but thanks for reminding me.... I'm gonna wash my new deckpad with hot water and soap!

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 09:17:12 AM »
Hi Sean...
In my 9'6 Steeze review, I point out the tippiness... because it surprised me when I jumped on it (evident in video)  ;D
That's why I wear my Kook Hat Cam whenever I get on a new board.... it catches my candid first impressions.
The Steeze is easier to paddle, than stand on, because the nose stabilizes it a bit underway.

I find my 9'4 Creek noticeably more stable than my 9'6 Steeze because the Creek is a full inch wider.

BUT... I have surfed the 8'10 of each (similar width at that size)
Never side by side, so I can't comment on which is tippier.
I find the 8'10 Steeze easier to use in weak waves than the 8'10 Creek because of the lower rocker and wider nose.

I find a narrower, closed "surf stance", is the best to keep the "tipping" smaller and more manageable. (pic below)

Some Sunova deckpads tend to be slippery when you first get them... maybe because of some dust on the rubber????
They get grippy pretty fast, but thanks for reminding me.... I'm gonna wash my new deckpad with hot water and soap!

Thanks Rick. It is all about dialing it in. Today I went out and felt no tipsiness even though the chop was the same, and I've definitely saw your stance photo before. Its funny how changing boards, even for a few sessions, changes your body's muscle memory.

2 things that you helped me with on that I wanted to thank you for fin related.

One is going with the smaller fin in the back on the Steeze!  Makes a big difference in the performance. Unfortunately, it just fell out, But I noticed when I switched back to a longer fin that I didn't like the 2-1 setup. I did just buy a longboard fin that I'm going to try in the near future all by itself.

The other is my Fanatic Allwave. I had "outgrown" the board and felt that it was very sluggish and kept missing waves because of speed. I switched to the twin fin based on an old post of yours. I found some reasonable fins on eBay that roughly matched yours, and it has really made it fun again-- way faster, and I even like the way it turns. Now I don't always have to drive from NY to Mass with the Steeze on the roof if there are gutless waves forecasted!!

Let me know if you are coming down to Long Island again for the SUP competition, and I'll buy you a drink (You had let me try the Creek when you were here last.)

Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 08:21:02 PM »
Thanks Sean, glad you found some value in those posts  :)
Not sure if they are having the same event down there this year or not... but for sure, I’ll take you up on the drink!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal