General > The Shape Shack

No Vacuum bagging innegra experiment

(1/3) > >>

Surfside:
Thought I would share....

This is my 4th attempt at board building and I wanted to reduce the use of vacuum bagging so, I tried something different.

I placed the innegra on the deck, lifted the cloth that covered the rails and used light spray adhesive on the foam and cloth, let it tack up then stretch/compress the cloth to fit. I then layed 4oz fiberglass with lengthy overlay so I could use blue painters tape to pull the cloth after wet and squeegee the resin. I even used clothes pins to help :)

I've used the board close to a dozen times and so far all is good.

flkiter:
My buddy did the same building one of his kite boards and same effect happened. He calls it the blue jean finish.

surfcowboy:
Nice work man. Does tithe blue tape stick to wet out cloth or do you leave the end dry?

Surfside:
"Blue Jean finish" love it :)
Yes, the cloth needs to stay dry where the blue tape attaches to...and it really sticks to the cloth.  thanks
The irregular color along the upper rail is where I feathered the H80 DVcell. Rails have two layers of innegra and innegra/carbon on the bottom. Should last awhile :)

PonoBill:
Very nice. I use the same technique on a number of smaller things I build. Most recently to repair my Axis 1020 wing that blew out of the back of my truck. Jimmy Lewis uses a similar technique he calls "poor man's vacuum bagging" though Jimmy can certainly afford any vacuum bagging setup he'd like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version