Author Topic: Black Project Lava vs. QuickBlade Trifecta FG/CA  (Read 6883 times)

whitecap

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Black Project Lava vs. QuickBlade Trifecta FG/CA
« on: July 18, 2019, 08:49:40 AM »
Looking to get at a mid/high-range price do it all paddle [flat water, downwind, adjustable, durable]. Price point is >$350 for me, but of course want lightest and most durable those $ wil buy. A quiver is not an option on my household  ??? My thinking is I've narrowed it down to these two so looking for some user feedback if anyone cares to share I'd appreciate it.

The Quickblade I believe offers the cool Leverlock system, and it appears the Black Project is a sort of cam thing which porturdes on the shaft.  The Leverlock seems like a fantastic concept, the anti-twist of the Black Project also sounds appealing...........

2018 INFINITY Blackfish 14x28
SIC SCC V2 Bullet 2015+/-
Naish Glide 14 V2 2014+/-
Black Project Maliko [& a host of other fins]
Black Project Lava adj. & Quickblade Trifecta

Skate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Black Project Lava vs. QuickBlade Trifecta FG/CA
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 09:56:43 AM »
go with the black project.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 01:24:55 PM »
Spend a few dollars more and get the QB vector net adjustable -but only if it doesn’t use the leverlock system. The handles that come with the lever lock system are IMO unacceptable, and give me blisters.

Do you really need an adjustable? I surf, downwind, and paddle flat water all with the same fixed length paddle. There’s no law that says you have to have different length paddles for each activity. I found a happy compromise length that works well enough for pretty much everything.

Adjustables are a PITA. They break, require constant washing, are heavy and prone to malfunction, fill with water, and are generally less nice to use. They are an absolute last resort IMO.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 04:39:34 PM »
Do you really need an adjustable? I surf, downwind, and paddle flat water all with the same fixed length paddle. There’s no law that says you have to have different length paddles for each activity. I found a happy compromise length that works well enough for pretty much everything.

Agreed. That is my experience for the past year.
in progress...

whitecap

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 06:29:54 AM »
Thanks for the reply mates. I am still not dead set on a fixed paddle length - so a little anxious about locking in just yet, and figured having adjustability for a period of time would certainly aid that process/determination. I was also hoping to use it to entice my wife to join me on the water........

All this said your thoughts on the Leverlock have me looking harder at the Black Project. Guess I’ll check in with Big Winds, Gorge performance and Chris himself for some feed back.
2018 INFINITY Blackfish 14x28
SIC SCC V2 Bullet 2015+/-
Naish Glide 14 V2 2014+/-
Black Project Maliko [& a host of other fins]
Black Project Lava adj. & Quickblade Trifecta

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 07:26:13 AM »
Have a look at the lever lock system first and try it out if you can. If you have large hands, it can be uncomfortable after awhile, so testing one is key. It doesn't really bother me and the lever lock works really well. I will be getting another paddle with the lever lock after losing my last one on a whitewater paddle trip. Damn log jams.

I have two adjustable paddles and will always own at least one. Too versatile not to have one imo and you can check all the boxes, without giving up much at all.

I use one adjustable for River use, for adjusting on the fly, and as a lender for people who are inexperienced, kids etc. My Blackfish Andaman adjustable is very light, and is  noticeably lighter than my Kenalu Ho'oloa, although the Kenalu is the xtuff shaft. Regardless, it is a very high performance adjustable and it works well. I bought the first version and the newer version has an updated travel adjust system that is solid and very user friendly. I will also lend the BF Andaman adjustable to female paddlers, and smaller people in general because of the low swing weight, and smaller blade size.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 07:56:44 AM »
To me, adjustable paddles are great for two purposes. First, they are invaluable in helping you to determine what is the correct paddle length you want to use. It took me a long time to get my correct paddle length dialed in, and I wouldn’t have been able to do this without an adjustable. But once I figured out the paddle length that was best for me, I had no reason to use my adjustable again. I kept it, as resale value is very poor, and every once in a while I’ll get a new board and I’ll want to see if I would be better to change my paddle length (although so far my paddle length has stayed the same). But other than that, I never use it.

The second reason I like adjustables, is for friends, etc. I keep some cheaper adjustables around for when friends come over and we go out paddling. I have some inflatable boards I’ll put them on, and having some cheaper adjustables around works really well.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 10:05:06 AM »
...I am still not dead set on a fixed paddle length - so a little anxious about locking in just yet, and figured having adjustability for a period of time would certainly aid that process/determination. I was also hoping to use it to entice my wife to join me on the water........

In that case you might want to consider Kenalu paddles.For every paddle you
buy you have the option to use the extended handle with the adjustable part:
https://kenalu.com/collections/paddle-components/products/extended-ergo-t-adjustable-part

That gives you the freedom to experiment and let other family members try
as well but once you set on a length you can remove those parts, cut the
shaft to your preferred length and mount the regular ergo handle.

You can always go back to the adjustable part as it is giving you a a good
range of adjustability.

All parts of the system works on hot glue so you're not "locked" and can
always reassess.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 10:40:57 AM »
...I am still not dead set on a fixed paddle length - so a little anxious about locking in just yet, and figured having adjustability for a period of time would certainly aid that process/determination. I was also hoping to use it to entice my wife to join me on the water........

In that case you might want to consider Kenalu paddles.For every paddle you
buy you have the option to use the extended handle with the adjustable part:
https://kenalu.com/collections/paddle-components/products/extended-ergo-t-adjustable-part

That gives you the freedom to experiment and let other family members try
as well but once you set on a length you can remove those parts, cut the
shaft to your preferred length and mount the regular ergo handle.

You can always go back to the adjustable part as it is giving you a a good
range of adjustability.

All parts of the system works on hot glue so you're not "locked" and can
always reassess.

That has always been my preferred route. I am always stumped when a paddle company stuck you with a fixed configuration. Specially when paying top $$$
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 11:45:31 AM »
IMO paddle development has gotten a lil crazy, everybody's looking for the next gimmick design, Hippostick keeps it simple ;
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 11:49:49 AM by SouthCounty »
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 02:31:59 PM »
Quickblade has my vote.
almost buy a Hippostick and maybe one day I will get one. That video from Danny is soo informative and the dude knows his paddle, especially the message towards the end of that vid.

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 04:22:25 PM »
IMO paddle development has gotten a lil crazy, everybody's looking for the next gimmick design, Hippostick keeps it simple ;

Looks very interesting. Has anyone tried these?
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 05:16:43 PM »

Looks very interesting. Has anyone tried these?

I have the AL 8.0 blade great simple paddle
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal