Author Topic: What is wrong with this picture?  (Read 7000 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: What is wrong with this picture?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 11:30:05 AM »
This is a bit different, but in the same vein. A number of years ago, back in my kayak days, I was coming in from the water and a fellow had a number of beautiful, hand made, wooden kayaks laid out on the lawn and was being interviewed by a small, local newspaper for an article. After the reporter left I was talking to him for a while asking him about his boats, which he had made himself. I think making these boats might even have been his business and if memory serves, he had 4 or 5 of his kayaks with him, which he proceeded to load onto his vehicle. As he was doing this I was loading my kayak on the top of my car. When he was done and ready to go, I wandered over to say goodbye, thank him for his time, and to once again tell him how beautiful his boats were. He had his car running and was just about to pull out when I noticed something. I wasn’t sure whether to say anything or not, as I really wasn’t sure if what I was thinking was correct. But I took the chance and asked if he had tied his boats down. His face absolutely dropped. He shut his car off and thanked me profusely. He had completely forgotten to strap his boats down. He kept thanking me and telling me how much money his boats were worth and how much it would have cost him if he had driven off. Even gave me his card and told me I could test paddle his boats whenever I wanted, although I never did take him up on his offer.

This is one instance where I was very glad I said something, and obviously, so was he.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2019, 11:59:05 AM »
Maybe they're harvesting kelp with it.

I'll only point things out to strangers if I've had a chance to break the ice and get a feel for the vibe.  At my spot, I'm the daily paddler and it's pretty rare to see someone else out--so most conversations start with how cool it is to see someone else enjoying it.  If it's pleasant and we're both stoked, I may point out that the paddle is backward.  The thing I'm most likely to speak up about is a missing leash (because one may have saved my life).  Since I've got extras in my truck, I always include the friendly offer of one--because it would just suck to have something so fun end in tragedy.  Never had anyone take me up on it, but they've all been pleasant interactions.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 12:31:01 PM »
People are strangely sensitive about feedback. I don't usually give people SUP advice, not anymore, unless I'm their teacher. Or if they see me race by them and say something.

Things is, a great way to learn is listening to those who know more than you.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 05:46:36 PM »
One time I was walking on the beach and told some girls that they were using their paddle backwards. They didn't believe me and just kept on doing i ;Dt the wrong way.

I think I used the paddle backwards at least the first 6 times I supped till i realized it worked better the other way......

So did I.

I actually took the paddle back to the shop to tell them that they put the handle on backwards. I felt like an idiot when they explained it to me.   ::)

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 07:18:43 AM »
They need a tan ?
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 10:03:31 AM »
A long time ago my tail was sliding at the skatepark, an older guy noticed this.  He came over and in a very friendly tone asked if I minded if he made a suggestion.  He then patiently waited for me to give him a yay or nay.  I suspected he wasn't going to give me unsolicited advice and that because he asked his suggestion was probably a real nugget of wisdom, so I said yes.  One of the most helpful suggestions I ever received.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 10:23:11 AM »
One time I was walking on the beach and told some girls that they were using their paddle backwards. They didn't believe me and just kept on doing i ;Dt the wrong way.

I think I used the paddle backwards at least the first 6 times I supped till i realized it worked better the other way......

So did I.

I actually took the paddle back to the shop to tell them that they put the handle on backwards. I felt like an idiot when they explained it to me.   ::)

I bought some exterior screws at Home Depot and wrote a review, and said about half of them had the points on the wrong end for the wall I was working on, but that I was able to use them anyway by flipping them backwards, so I could still give them five stars, and they published it.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 11:49:45 AM »

So did I.

I bought some exterior screws at Home Depot and wrote a review, and said about half of them had the points on the wrong end for the wall I was working on, but that I was able to use them anyway by flipping them backwards, so I could still give them five stars, and they published it.

At the bike shop I worked at, people would sometimes ask to borrow an adjustable wrench. My reply would be to ask "Standard or Metric?". 

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 12:02:59 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 12:00:09 PM »
I've totally given up on offering unsolicited advice and would suggest to everyone here, to do the same.  ;D
Hey, stop that!

I find it helps get people's attention if, after you give them advice, you add something like, "It's so simple even someone like you should be able to do it".

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 12:07:46 PM »
When I was just starting out, I was thankful for any genuine advice offered. 

I always try to treat people the way I would want to be treated. If they don't like it, that's their problem.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 01:08:09 PM »
A long time ago my tail was sliding at the skatepark, an older guy noticed this.  He came over and in a very friendly tone asked if I minded if he made a suggestion.  He then patiently waited for me to give him a yay or nay.  I suspected he wasn't going to give me unsolicited advice and that because he asked his suggestion was probably a real nugget of wisdom, so I said yes.  One of the most helpful suggestions I ever received.
I was practicing some breaststroke turns in the pool once when a new guy on my team came over and said, "Hey, I don't mean to butt in, but someone told me something that was really helpful to me with my turns...."  He was almost sheepish not wanting to intrude with unsolicited advice.  It was Roque Santos, who won the U.S. Olympic Trials 200 meter breaststroke years before.  I'd take advice from anyone, plus I recognized him, so of course I took his advice, and of course he knew what he was talking about.    It almost seems like the more someone knows, the more careful they are to ask if you want their advice before they give it.  The really fun thing is watching people going up to people like him, telling him, "Hey buddy, you're doing your turns all wrong!"  How many people told Dick Fosbury, "Hey kid, you're going over the bar backwards!"

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 02:08:47 PM »
In Defense of the "Newbie"

several years ago (when Riviera was in business) I had a woman drive up to my shop with a Riviera board on the roof with the side fins in backwards (and reversed foiled) She said the board worked better with just one fin. Would I take the other fin boxes out. I told her the board is fine without using the side fins. But you might like it even better if we put the side fins in the right boxes!!!

So I put the board up on bench removed the side fins figure I'd just switch them and all would be good (I'd be the HERO).
Much to my surprise THE FIN BOXES were put in backwards and reversed?????? I WAS AMAZED!!!
I said you have to return that board to where you got it IT'S DEFECTIVE! She informed me that the local shop she got it from (No names but they have 3 or 4 locations in SNJ) told her no that is how they are supposed to be...She even went to another shop (Surf Shop in business over 50 yrs) and they confirmed that is how they are supposed to be!

I seemed to be in the minority (Plus I never dealt with Riviera) So to prove my point I got 2 brand new boards off my rack (Fanatic/Starboard) and low a behold the fins went in right. I took her inside showed her TONS of pics on the internet of how fins go in...I even started explaining WHY?? but that just was a bad idea.
So the solution
She first want me to take out the side fin boxes and patch it up all pretty. I gave her an estimate and that went over like ... Ok not exactly what she was thinking
So she asked do I have a Quick Cheap fix? and I DID Filled the boxes with Solarez, sanded it and threw on some white paint and she was on her way

So maybe that is the problem your guys had? Still junky boards on the market I guess it could happen

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

....and theses a reason they aren't in mass production business anymore (search North Jerz posts for examples on 'quality'  ;D)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2019, 02:50:21 PM »
I have also witnessed this dangerous fin config. Luckily the surfer was somewhat experienced and switched up immediately.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2019, 07:40:55 AM »
I've seen a SUP board on display with fins set up this way at a local outdoor store, took a pic but cannot find it now.
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2019, 03:07:24 PM »
Must be front wheel drive? :o
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet