Author Topic: drain hole cover?  (Read 6091 times)

GlideMarko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • my wikipedia site
drain hole cover?
« on: July 17, 2019, 03:26:52 AM »
does drain hole cover works (is efficient)?
does water really enters standing area slower/less in dugout SUPs?
any experiences with NSP or Infinity dugouts?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: drain hole cover?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 03:53:38 AM »
As far as I understand it, the usage of this little tunnel is for creating
a Venturi effect thus having more efficient draining.

If you're looking for something that acts more like a cover or better yet,
a valve maybe this is a better option:

in progress...

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 05:10:36 AM »
I have a Sunova allwater with the same drain hole system and it does work well, in fact it’s so efficient that you forget about it .

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 10:10:40 AM »
OC's and Surfskis have had super-efficient drain systems for at least 20 years, based on NACA ducts that were first optimized 50+ years ago. Why they aren't simply copied baffles me. The drain system shown in the picture is a poor design that would be both draggy and turbulent at the lip. The NACA-style drain on my Scorpius OC1 makes a sucking sound at anything past 2-3 mph and drains a fully filled well in seconds.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 03:35:41 PM »
I just bought my first dugout board. It has drain holes and they work very well. I’ve only had the board in the water a few times, as it really is brand new, but I’ve been impressed with how dry the standing area stays. I dumped the board on purpose the other day to see how difficult it would be to get back in. There was quite a bit of water in the standing area and once I got going it cleared very quickly. And I also hear a sucking or almost a whistling sound when I get up to speed on the board.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 06:07:06 PM »
I assume the ONE Edge Pro is your dugout. Nice looking boards, I like the design. I imagine it's really fast for a 12'6". So how hard was it to get back in? The only dugout I tried was the ancient Starboard K15 which was ridiculously fast but hard to remount. One of my friends remarked that I should stop humping it and get back on it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 08:28:16 PM »
One of my friends remarked that I should stop humping it and get back on it.

Ha! Ha! Too funny. It actually wasn’t that difficult. Was easier than I thought it would be, but your description is pretty accurate. I did end up kind of flat out on the standing area, almost in the “hump position” before getting myself back to standing. Maybe in time and with more practice I’ll get something better figured out.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 08:53:49 PM »
Sorry, forgot to mention, that yes, the dugout I was referring to is the ONE Edge Pro. And thanks for the remarks on the board. I’m really just starting to get the feel of it. I will say that at first I wasn’t sure I made the right decision, but the more I’m on it, the more I like it.

One weird thing though. I also have a 12’ 6” x 24” ONE Evo (not dugout). I was curious to know how much closer to the water I was standing with Edge Pro, and it turns out I am only 7/8” closer to the waterline. It looks like there should be a bigger difference than that, and I would have thought there would be a bigger difference, but apparently not.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 01:03:23 AM »
Sorry, forgot to mention, that yes, the dugout I was referring to is the ONE Edge Pro. And thanks for the remarks on the board. I’m really just starting to get the feel of it. I will say that at first I wasn’t sure I made the right decision, but the more I’m on it, the more I like it.

One weird thing though. I also have a 12’ 6” x 24” ONE Evo (not dugout). I was curious to know how much closer to the water I was standing with Edge Pro, and it turns out I am only 7/8” closer to the waterline. It looks like there should be a bigger difference than that, and I would have thought there would be a bigger difference, but apparently not.
7/8ths is still quite a lot in terms of stability gain. But dugouts have to have a strong bottom or people would be putting their feet through them, and there are limits to what can be achieved with the structural and cost constraints of current foam constructions.

Most of the speed advantages of dugouts (in certain conditions) occur because of the high rails rather than the paddler being closer to the waterline. Unfortunately, however, there are considerable practical and handling disadvantages of dugouts in everyday use. The first time you misjudge punching out through waves, you will discover disadvantage number one. Dugouts are for people who don’t fall, and don’t make mistakes. And who don’t regularly stack their boards with others on roof racks, or carry their boards long distances, or surf their boards, or do beach start races.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 07:49:59 AM »

7/8ths is still quite a lot in terms of stability gain. But dugouts have to have a strong bottom or people would be putting their feet through them, and there are limits to what can be achieved with the structural and cost constraints of current foam constructions.

Most of the speed advantages of dugouts (in certain conditions) occur because of the high rails rather than the paddler being closer to the waterline. Unfortunately, however, there are considerable practical and handling disadvantages of dugouts in everyday use. The first time you misjudge punching out through waves, you will discover disadvantage number one. Dugouts are for people who don’t fall, and don’t make mistakes. And who don’t regularly stack their boards with others on roof racks, or carry their boards long distances, or surf their boards, or do beach start races.

Your explanation makes sense. It just surprised me that it was only 7/8”, as to the naked eye it looks like it should be more on a dugout.

I am curious about one thing. You said most of the speed advantage of a dugout comes from high rails (in certain conditions). Am curious to know what conditions you are referring to and what speed advantage the high rails provide?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 07:52:27 AM by Quickbeam »
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal