Author Topic: Delta - Baggage Fee Waived  (Read 5534 times)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Delta - Baggage Fee Waived
« on: July 18, 2019, 06:57:06 AM »
For anyone who flies Delta a lot - no fee for surfboards/SUP's anymore. They still have the 113 linear inch requirement, but I've never had that enforced on me, hopefully that doesn't change.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/airport/delta-removes-150-fee-for-sporting-equipment-checked-baggage/Pv0DuIzsNMj1FXJfsLujVN/?fbclid=IwAR2afY6Fp6YcXtrAuhahGusLhwXoEfICqXqlWrF2Q_uxOfMyzCahZyBG62Q

7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Delta - Baggage Fee Waived
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 07:24:57 AM »
AP..  I always look at the legal stuff they can pull out: The Contract of Carriage.   Here's a link to the applicable section.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/special-items.html

Here's the paragraph.

"Surfboard Checked Bag Requirements and Fees
Standard baggage allowance and fees based on cabin and travel region apply
Surfboards weighing over 50 lbs. will be charged the applicable excess weight fee
If the outside linear dimensions (length + width + height) exceed 115 linear inches (292 cm), the item will not be accepted
Items in excess of baggage allowance will be subject to additional or overweight baggage fees
Surfboards are allowed up to two (2) boards per bag
Surfboard Terms & Conditions
Between Honolulu and Maui, there is a $20 USD/CAD fee
Delta Connection carrier surfboard acceptance and charges may vary. Surfboards over 72 inches in length are not allowed on Delta Connection carrier flights. Contact Reservations for more information"

My fear is the nice lady on the outbound leg lets me by and then I get one on the inbound leg that 'has had enough of 'tourists' for the day.

Like the difference between the cop that writes a warning and the next who writes the ticket, but in this case, you lose your car too.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 07:52:44 AM »
AP..  I always look at the legal stuff they can pull out: The Contract of Carriage.   Here's a link to the applicable section.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/special-items.html

Here's the paragraph.

"Surfboard Checked Bag Requirements and Fees
Standard baggage allowance and fees based on cabin and travel region apply
Surfboards weighing over 50 lbs. will be charged the applicable excess weight fee
If the outside linear dimensions (length + width + height) exceed 115 linear inches (292 cm), the item will not be accepted
Items in excess of baggage allowance will be subject to additional or overweight baggage fees
Surfboards are allowed up to two (2) boards per bag
Surfboard Terms & Conditions
Between Honolulu and Maui, there is a $20 USD/CAD fee
Delta Connection carrier surfboard acceptance and charges may vary. Surfboards over 72 inches in length are not allowed on Delta Connection carrier flights. Contact Reservations for more information"

My fear is the nice lady on the outbound leg lets me by and then I get one on the inbound leg that 'has had enough of 'tourists' for the day.

Like the difference between the cop that writes a warning and the next who writes the ticket, but in this case, you lose your car too.

Jim

Yeah, so I worried about the linear inch requirement to the point of e-mailing Delta, and had an official response that I printed and carried with me quite a bit. There response when asked was any board over 115 inches in length, not the L + W + H of the board, despite what is said below.

With all of that said, I've travelled with a SUP 6 times with Delta, no issue (other than the $150 fee each way).
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 07:57:13 AM »
im more afraid of the outbound--"nope--you shd have properly pre-arranged and paid for this oversize luggage---and the hold on your plane is full--your board will have to go as freight on another flight--but that'll be 450$ given size and weight, and it might not go for a few days"---watching beautiful waves in a place with no decent rentals would be be annoying!

getting the board home might be a PITA, but with less potential for the torture of watching waves somewhere while one's board is "in transit".
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 09:46:28 AM »
Alaska does not charge for board bags anymore either. We just went to and from Maui with a double board bag (surf not sup), with no fees and no problems. However, I learned from this forum and Ponobill that you can just give a healthy tip the skycaps/porters at the terminal drop off and everything is taken care of for ya. I try to tip at least $40 if they are handling surfboards, and they typically take every bag you don't want to have in hand before you enter the terminal. Last time headed home we had a big box of pineapples, surfboards, plus a bunch of overstuffed luggage, two of which exceeded 50#, so I gave the guy $100 and we checked nothing ourselves.

It is the only part of the airport that feels like it is still a service based industry.

Make paddleboarding great again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal