Author Topic: I need some ideas on restoring my board.  (Read 11282 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: I need some ideas on restoring my board.
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 09:24:21 PM »
I’ll break it down like this.

$1,500 board. $20 tops in 2 lb eps if you buy it new.

The other option (and consider this) is to buy another board used and give that one to the repair guy to recycle of fix and sell.  Might be a decent use of your time & money unless you really want to learn to do this stuff, have good tools (a good sander and sanding pad) and access to $100 plus in materials (resin ain’t cheap.)

That’s not a little ding, that’s a serious rebuild and it on the deck where it has to support your weight. For reference, my first repair was the size of a dime and I did it wrong lol.

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2019, 03:40:21 AM »
Mal 2050

There are some shots of my first attempts to use foam block inserts for serious repairs.... on this page
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,29651.msg318507.html#msg318507

I had never done a major repair before, but figured, what the heck why not try?
It's mostly common sense and with all the "how-to" vids on Youtube, the info you need is readily available.

mal2050

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 05:27:28 AM »
Thanks Creek, I think your right that with tutorials and advice given that I could get the board back in the water. I am trying to carve out the time for this and if not I will hand it off to a professional.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 07:02:04 AM »
for me it's, surprisingly, about convenience---i just go to my garage and begin repairing---pro repair from Brooklyn is a 90 minute drive to and fro, and good pros are hard to find, can not care to thoroughly dry out a board, and get backed up---i may require a few extra sanding/glassing/epoxy coats, but i get it right in the end

now, your repair is a bit more challenging than a big ding, but id still take it on---the issue will be to end up with a repair that is clean flush smooth level with the undamaged portion of the deck---and youll want to use an extra glass layer or two for under foot reinforcement---all NBD, tho you will certainly do an extra pass or two vs a pro

since creek's over here---much as i like rsp railtape, it's an annoyance to deal with when one has a rail ding---and somehow i end up with dings, try as i might to be careful---wtf does one do with that shark shield if there's a ding nearby all dat stuff??
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 07:13:02 AM »
here's my current repair issue--minor hit to my straby flax pro, right by the seam btwn the rail and the edge of the bottom---not sure if it leaks---sucked it and seemed ok, but last thing id want is water in this billion dollar board---so i put a puka patch on for good measure and continued to use the board---got the board nice and cool and prepared to put in sun with soapy water on the hitspot--effin puka patch was stuck tight---peeled it slowly and carefully, got it off--problem: the GD pull to remove the puka patch separated to surface skin of the board from the interior foam, so, now there a soft spot where the puka patch had been---MURPHY RULES!!!-and it's new--there was no soft spot prior to the puka patch pulloff---sux--now i have a repair---if it's still watertight, ill use the bert barger softspot method (see youtube--love the guy's act) inject epoxy into the soft spot with a syringe put a phone book with a block on top--then little glass/epoxy patches on the entry/exit syringe holes---found great industrial blunt tipped syringes at amazon for like 3 bux--if it's leaked, ill have to cut out the soft spot and let the board dry a while, before doing a std repair

oh---and i know very well to avoid melting the foam on the interior, when injecting---low temp resin research epoxy, with mucho micro balloons, so thick it'll barely squeeze thru the syringe
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 07:16:04 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2019, 12:04:34 PM »
While there are expert repair guys out there who are well worth the money, I encountered many who appeared to have inhaled lots of resin.  Figured if they could figure out how to fix boards, I could too.  Amazing how much you learn just by doing a few.  The first few are expensive but over time, you end up with lots of material on hand and your skills develop.

Sure, mal, this is a big one to learn on, but worst that can happen is you screw it up.  Grab the router, rout it clean and start again.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 02:21:59 PM »
eastie

if you find anyone that can repair carbon well within 100 miles of NYC let me know.  I have a guy who can do anything with eps or ply right in my town- but he wont touch true carbon like a starby

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2019, 06:53:25 AM »
much as it cost like carbon!!  i am not sure where the carbon is in the surface of the 2019 flax carbon models---i dug into the board minimally and found a "woody" substance, likely the "flax" or the end-grain balsa, with no obvious black layer in the very thin skin----was able to keep the wound small (say 1" x 1/4"), something creek taught me: "why hack the board apart? cut it back little as necessary, and let dry for a long time--be patient")---once dry, i stuffed the wound with plumbers' "tootsie roll" epoxy (a surf cowboy trick--works a charm for small repairs) 

and then just glassed it as normal--i have used glass on innegra carbon repairs (AW LTD Innegra, that is) with no problems so far--not sure you need to sweat this NoJerz

surfed the board for the first time in months 3 days ago--repair looks good and solid

now ima have a lovers' quarrel btwn the starby and my 8'7" creek which ive been loving since the starby got dinged--starby's seething with jealousy

bring on the storms!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2019, 11:22:00 AM »
but he wont touch true carbon like a starby

Some folks still think carbon is all about pre-preg and autoclaves. Then there's others who just pile on wraps of fibre to fix a bike frame. The sweet spot is somewhere in the middle where our boards are.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2019, 12:06:58 PM »
but he wont touch true carbon like a starby

Some folks still think carbon is all about pre-preg and autoclaves. Then there's others who just pile on wraps of fibre to fix a bike frame. The sweet spot is somewhere in the middle where our boards are.
+1
Fiberglass cloth disappears when you lay it up, so there's no weave matching issues. If the finish is clear over CF then you have to try to line up the CF pattern, weave, weight etc. to make it match / blend. If you have lots of various types of CF laying around you can usually find a match. If you don't you're going to be hunting for a piece. Most CF boards these days are painted, so there is no matching anything and it's just as easy as any fiberglass cloth. 6 oz range CF is cheaper than 3 oz range but it's like laying up Burlap, but the 6 oz (5.8 3K) thick and needs to have a layer of glass over it to sand it properly. Actually any CF should have at least one layer of glass over it for finishing. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 12:14:54 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2019, 07:25:10 PM »
Really more like 2 unless you have a very light and consistent touch. I used some old Kevlar I had kicking around the other day and laid one layer of 4oz on top to sand. Went through in a spot and wound up with a fur ball.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2019, 03:33:26 PM »
Great project.  I had a similar one during the spring when I fixed the void in a carbon fiber rail after a sun melt.  My patching was 3 times as long but the void left behind was something that seemed to be most easily fixed with Q-Cell laden epoxy.  The project was a lot of work but it was also great practice and a lesson in patience to get the rail back as close to the original as possible.  I have zero experience with carbon fiber, so I just painted to match the other rail when I was done with the S-Glass Patch. 

I gave the board away upon completion and the person that got it was quite happy.  We used it for several sessions during their visit and the patch job held up nicely.  Guess that's all that matters in the end.  :D

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2019, 11:19:12 AM »
The whole bottom delamed on my buddy's LB.  A little swirl hides a ton of imperfections in this case. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal