Author Topic: I need some ideas on restoring my board.  (Read 11284 times)

mal2050

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I need some ideas on restoring my board.
« on: July 16, 2019, 03:59:13 AM »
I have a unique situation with my board.  Storing this board at my brothers beach house this board was placed near the roof of an uninsulated out building. So the area where there was a black strip down the middle heated up and melting the foam.

I am hoping I could get some ideas on how best to approach a repair.

What ever I do will be covered with a deck patch which I already ordered.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: I need some ideas on restoring my board.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 06:10:46 AM »
It is a board clearly worth saving...   I am a 'try anything' type, but I'd suggest you carry it to the best repair person in your area.

I am not sure she is still doing it, but this site is a trove of DIY info...    https://boardlady.com/repairmenu.htm

I'm sure it will work out perfectly   ...especially covered with a big pad.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 06:46:38 AM »
Great project!

I used the following pad removal and application process on a 9'4 Creek this weekend.
This project was installing a "Shark Shield" for a friend.

I have filled large voids in folded boards, by removing the crushed foam at the fold, then filling the hole as described below, with the EPS block described below

Clean the deck well....
Scrape off all pad remnants
Put Goo Gone on the adhesive that is left..... leave on for several hours.
Wipe off glue with an old heavy towel.... cuz it is good at collecting the sticky residue. Throw it away.
Clean up area with 70% Isopropyl Alcohol

Flatten and square off the area of melted foam
Get a long piece of EPS foam from a surf shop that does repairs.
Cut to fit, leaving it higher than the surface of the board
Clean hole
Tape arount the entire hole and surrounding area to keep glue off off it.
apply Gorilla glue all over the hole, sides and corners... according to directions....
Too much will be a mess.... too little will leave voids.
set foam piece into the hole

Set something heavy on the foam block to keep the expanding Gorilla glue from lifting it. Tape the weight around the board to insure it won't lift
Make sure to leave space around the entire hole... so the glue can expand out.

Allow to fully cure
cut away excess glue
sand the foam insert flush with the deck
glass the repair as usual, with slow cure Epoxy resin. Mix resin and catalyst properly!!!

Sand down, smooth to deck.
Tape off area where you will apply the new deck pad (I like the FCS Dimple Pad)
Glass as usual with epoxy resin.
Apply new deck pad

Go Surf your awesome new board  :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 06:49:07 AM by supthecreek »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 07:24:30 AM »
...Flatten and square off the area of melted foam
Get a long piece of EPS foam from a surf shop that does repairs.
Cut to fit, leaving it higher than the surface of the board
Clean hole
Tape arount the entire hole and surrounding area to keep glue off off it.
apply Gorilla glue all over the hole, sides and corners... according to directions....
Too much will be a mess.... too little will leave voids.
set foam piece into the hole...

Good stuff Rick! 

Another approach would be to cut a rectangular block of EPS just a bit bigger than the damaged area.  The block can then be traced over the damaged area.  Using a router, cut the damaged area out to match the replacement EPS block.  While this will give you a close enough fit to glue down with epoxy, I would still opt for Gorilla Glue.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 07:46:03 AM »
helpful, creek---an easy fix

but pls--what are your thoughts on this shark shield??  since youre boots on the ground (in water) on Cape Cod??

https://sharkshield.com/product/freedom-surf-bundle/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 07:48:23 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 08:38:28 AM »
Great writeup Creek. The trickiest part is going to be routing the melted foam out to achieve a perfect rectangle with straight sides and a flat bottom. You'll need to bridge the wide gap. I'd hot glue or clamp guide rails to the board that a template can slide between. the template could be just plywood with a slot cut out for the router bit to extend through. The rails can guide the router body along the long sides of the rectangle and you can do short rails for the ends. You're going to need a very long router bit. If you haven't done board repair before I'd bring it to a pro, but it's going to have to be a truly fine pro who likes a challenge.

At the risk of sounding mean, I'd say looking at the cuts you made to expose the damage that you aren't up to fixing this. You've made the job harder already.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 08:41:07 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 08:57:33 AM »
As far as shark shield goes, at least it's legitimately effective, sort of, unlike the ridiculous Shark Banz (yes, I know, someone's Aunt Susie was saved by a Shark Banz, and the aliens at Site 51 are real). Something to consider though is that electrical signals stimulating the Ampulae of Lorenzini is a way that sharks locate prey. These devices attract hunting sharks and then repel them from YOU. Your satisfaction with the device may depend on your level of altruism and what you think of the other folks in the lineup. This might be an effective response to their sneers at your sweeper ways.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 09:54:47 AM »
Easty:
I have no opinion on the Shark Shield Freedom+

There is no real way to know if they work... so there's that.

Expensive
If you put on one board for full price, you can add additional boards for around $195??
Let's see..... I have 24 boards so that would run me around $5,000 total

The down side is.... just have it on one board
Never use your other boards
Never sell the one you have it mounted on..... that should kill board sales around here  :-\
Hopefully don't feed the fishy's

I have installed 3 Shark Shields for friends, but have no interest in what is very possibly, a very expensive placebo.
I prefer to walk that wire, without the iffy security of a safety net that may, or may not, work.

A local family filmed 19 Great Whites on a day trip around here this weekend
3 beach closings
nothing to worry about.

I went out at dawn this morning in conditions that I call "Shark worthy"
Tiny gutless almost non-waves, in pure glass with good friends..... Perfect!  :)

Ha ha Pono.... that is exactly the question I asked on this forum years ago..... "Does one persons safety (using the Shark Shield) actually increase the risk of those around them?"

mal2050

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 10:01:01 AM »
Hi

I am just checking at lunch right now so I can only take a quick look at your suggestions
so thanks for all the good ideas and thank you Creek for the tutorial. I will digest this tonite.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 01:09:36 PM »
Great project.  I've got a collection of misfit boards that need major surgery like this.  Fun to build skills and save something from the dumpster.

Very thorough write up from Creek.  The only step I think he omitted was--spray water on the EPS block before you insert it in the void.  That's what makes the Gorrilla Glue do it's magic. (right?)

Great tip on hotgluing router guides, Pono!  I'll use that.  I've been making way too many templates I only use once.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 02:55:21 PM »
ha ha... that was covered in:
"apply Gorilla glue all over the hole, sides and corners... according to directions....   ;D

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 04:05:35 PM »
LOVE this post and subsequent comments - both repair and sharky comments!!!

Creek, your "Shark Worthy" picture is AWESOME!  I Love it.....the vibe transcends the pic. You/we all do what we do for the feeling and love that Mother Ocean brings and surfing brings us.....I'm guessing not many can contest that we feel better getting out of the water than we did prior to going in.....I know I do and that's what keeps me going back over and over and over and over again....

And now I have an idea how to address a deck pad replacement/repair on my own Creek should I need.

Nice, Thanks!!!!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

mal2050

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 04:21:55 PM »
After reading your comments Pono and looking back at the way I cut the glass I can say it looks bad and I should take your advice and pass this on to a proper repair person.

Now to sound like a real gremmie the foam block has to be EPS specific? I been holding on to some styrofoam blocks that came with a computer and was hoping to use that.  Man it has been a long time since doing any serious repair, like before surf cords.

Thanks for all the advice on this and whether I do this repair or pass it on I learned some things here like not surf with Creek on Cape Cod.

Though do you think it is any better up in Maine.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 04:37:54 PM »
Shark Shield Freedom+
There is no real way to know if they work... so there's that.

I see one can get a 3 year warranty... protecting you if it doesn't... you know... work... : )

Mal - I look forward to seeing the 'after' photo...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 04:41:09 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 05:35:22 PM »
EPS stands for expanded polystyrene which is basically the same thing as Styrofoam, though most styrofoam used in packing is very light and has an inconsistent and large grain, which makes it hard to sand with any precision. If you can find a local EPS supplier they generally have offcuts which you can get free or cheap--you probably want to get 2 pound EPS (it's generally available as 1, 2 and 3 pound which refers to the density. Two is easy to work, 1 is a bit fluffy. You can generally get it a large construction supply companies. If you can't find white EPS then the blue or pink insulating foam you can get at any lumberyard works well. I use a lot of it. It's actually stronger than EPS and has a more consistent grain, but it's also heavier.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal