Stand Up Paddle > SUP General

I need some ideas on restoring my board.

(1/6) > >>

mal2050:
I have a unique situation with my board.  Storing this board at my brothers beach house this board was placed near the roof of an uninsulated out building. So the area where there was a black strip down the middle heated up and melting the foam.

I am hoping I could get some ideas on how best to approach a repair.

What ever I do will be covered with a deck patch which I already ordered.

Wetstuff:
It is a board clearly worth saving...   I am a 'try anything' type, but I'd suggest you carry it to the best repair person in your area.

I am not sure she is still doing it, but this site is a trove of DIY info...    https://boardlady.com/repairmenu.htm

I'm sure it will work out perfectly   ...especially covered with a big pad.

Jim

supthecreek:
Great project!

I used the following pad removal and application process on a 9'4 Creek this weekend.
This project was installing a "Shark Shield" for a friend.

I have filled large voids in folded boards, by removing the crushed foam at the fold, then filling the hole as described below, with the EPS block described below

Clean the deck well....
Scrape off all pad remnants
Put Goo Gone on the adhesive that is left..... leave on for several hours.
Wipe off glue with an old heavy towel.... cuz it is good at collecting the sticky residue. Throw it away.
Clean up area with 70% Isopropyl Alcohol

Flatten and square off the area of melted foam
Get a long piece of EPS foam from a surf shop that does repairs.
Cut to fit, leaving it higher than the surface of the board
Clean hole
Tape arount the entire hole and surrounding area to keep glue off off it.
apply Gorilla glue all over the hole, sides and corners... according to directions....
Too much will be a mess.... too little will leave voids.
set foam piece into the hole

Set something heavy on the foam block to keep the expanding Gorilla glue from lifting it. Tape the weight around the board to insure it won't lift
Make sure to leave space around the entire hole... so the glue can expand out.

Allow to fully cure
cut away excess glue
sand the foam insert flush with the deck
glass the repair as usual, with slow cure Epoxy resin. Mix resin and catalyst properly!!!

Sand down, smooth to deck.
Tape off area where you will apply the new deck pad (I like the FCS Dimple Pad)
Glass as usual with epoxy resin.
Apply new deck pad

Go Surf your awesome new board  :)

Bean:

--- Quote from: supthecreek on July 16, 2019, 06:46:38 AM ---...Flatten and square off the area of melted foam
Get a long piece of EPS foam from a surf shop that does repairs.
Cut to fit, leaving it higher than the surface of the board
Clean hole
Tape arount the entire hole and surrounding area to keep glue off off it.
apply Gorilla glue all over the hole, sides and corners... according to directions....
Too much will be a mess.... too little will leave voids.
set foam piece into the hole...

--- End quote ---

Good stuff Rick! 

Another approach would be to cut a rectangular block of EPS just a bit bigger than the damaged area.  The block can then be traced over the damaged area.  Using a router, cut the damaged area out to match the replacement EPS block.  While this will give you a close enough fit to glue down with epoxy, I would still opt for Gorilla Glue.

eastbound:
helpful, creek---an easy fix

but pls--what are your thoughts on this shark shield??  since youre boots on the ground (in water) on Cape Cod??

https://sharkshield.com/product/freedom-surf-bundle/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version