Author Topic: Shoulder pain and THC  (Read 12603 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Shoulder pain and THC
« on: July 11, 2019, 06:33:14 AM »
I qualified for a Maryland Medical Card for lumbar issues.  Frankly, have not found it to be of any specific benefit. I am not attracted to 'highs' so I do not drink or toke to speak of. (long ago, I left the Army both a heavy user of cigarettes and alcohol - it took time to shake that!)

But...  I can attest to the rather quick results from using a 50/50 salve on recently developed, chronic osteoarthritis in my left shoulder.  My grandson played water polo in CA with a young guy who was a swimmer in the Brazil Olympics.  He relayed this fellow used the same salve for pains I gather developed after long workouts.

I cannot tell you the duration, because I use it before I go to sleep, but the difference is noticeable very quickly.  My pain is tolerable but annoying.  I may also use it before I paddle because pain is really annoying when you are needing to relax standing on a board. The typical Neproxin regimen is not doing it.

Jim

...one side note:  In CA you get 250mg in a 2oz jar ...in MD, they sell 100mg in the same size container.   I do not know the CA price, but it is about $30. here.  (I smell effects of 'competition' of the lack of...)
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Shoulder pain and THC
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 07:02:02 AM »
You may mean CBD, which is the non-high producing element in grass. THC is what gets you buzzed. I haven't used CBD but give it to my ageing dog in biscuit form and it is a miracle  cure.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 07:26:58 AM »
Actually, either is helpful. I find it odd that as a young man I tried to eliminate the scourge of Marijuana by burning it all--one bongful at a time--but now that it's legal in Oregon I have no interest in getting buzzed. I am, however, interested in using it to relieve some of the chronic pains I have. Unfortunately, I find even CBD makes me a little dopey.

For me, bedtime is the only time I use any hemp-derived stuff, and then it works well. No miracles, but useful. CBD calms down my shoulders, reduces the effects of cramps from getting a little too carried away with foiling or downwinders, and reduces my hip pain. THC gummy bears turn the lights out when I have trouble sleeping. I don't use them often, because a full day generally has me staggering around or drifting off at 9 pm, but if I can't get to sleep, one gummy bear flicks the switch and I get a solid eight hours--and wake up with a bladder that's about to burst.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 07:42:16 AM »
Funny this post should pop up today. I just received a small vial of CBD which can be Vaped or taken orally. The company is called hemplucid and was recommended to me by a surfing buddy. I loaded an empty Vape cartridge with it and unfortunately the pen overheated and I got this huge hit of CBD which pretty much put me over the top with a buzz. I'm going to try and ingest it at next time because the pen overheated and I'm pretty sure the battery is fried.
What is the best way to ingest orally?  I tasted a little bit of it and it kind of has a hashish flavor
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 07:46:00 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 08:22:15 AM »
Put it under your tongue and let it disperse.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 08:45:17 AM »
i get plenty of cbd, in connection with all the thc i enjoy.............

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 10:35:12 AM »
Vaping and smoking is to get high.  You can not get high from CBD cannabis.  Taken orally in oil form a few drops at a time is the route for the medical benefits. The number of drops is up to ten or so a day. Maybe start with a few drops a few times a day or a higher dose before sleeping.

A couple of drops of pure Indica oil before bed would work wonders for pain relief and sleep quality, but that is than a THC strain so check your state laws. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 01:28:41 PM »
I have no idea what you guys are talking about..... ::)

I quit (for the most part) smoking weed when my oldest was a baby. Fast forward to 2004 with headaches and vertigo caused by my little friend growing in my head. Suffered for a long time while trying a host of Rx's to combat it. Friggin cure was worse than the disease. Then I remembered how weed had made bad sunburn pain disappear on our honeymoon long long ago. Couldn't believe how it turned off the headache like I flipped a switch. It doesn't help with the vertigo but it relieves the nausea that accompanies it. So glad it's legal here now. No Rx's for pain. I vape it and make a tea. Vaping provides quick relief and the tea keeps the pain away for hours.

I'm going to press a bunch of this for oil and make some edibles as well.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 01:46:24 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 01:43:26 PM »
Hey wetsuf,  i PM'd you a few times but never reached you.  If you still need some help or questions please pm me again.  im happy to help

"Vaping and smoking is to get high."   not always true when looking for therapeutic help.   Vaping THCA , THCV and CBD and CBG are fantastic ways to strengthen your lungs and circulatory system.  It is the preferred route fighting cancer as well.   

look at the synergistic terpenes and oils they are adding to your cremes.   The amount of CBD is important, but anything over 100mg is going to be supportive, as long as its a true 100mg of cbd.  Most companies will list 100mg of cbd but in truth its 100mg of hemp oil that will have at most 25% CBD, industry standard on hemp derived co2 extractions is more like 15%.

For example, the product I make has 100mg of cbd, but out of the 30grams in the bottle 55% of total weight are several pure organic Essential oils.  THe carriers and the therapeutic advantages of the essential oils is the bigger goal to chase.  Cbd is really only there for homeostsasis, or a gatekeeper if you will.  the endocannabinoid system that all mammals have regulates the uptake of nutrients in our cells.  Just about every cell and function supporting that cell has cannabinoid receptors.  the receptors act as gates.  Once hte gate is open it allows the cell to reduce inflammation, in that it can dump the waste and excrete into our lymphs.  Once the gates have been open and the cell has self healed itself then the cbd stops working as well.  This is why its so important to have the terpenes at hand to actively reduce the swelling.   

Another biggy is the power of THCa to reduce scar tissue.   my suggestion is to take fresh cut cannabis and soak it in dmso.     take the extract and add it to organic cane alcohol (190proof), then add camphor, black pepper, ginger and basil essential oils.   that will work the best.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 01:47:14 PM »
Stoneaxe,   when you start trimming up your beauty there make sure to save them.  get a proper auger juicer and juice the leaves and small buds.  The body will respond the fastes and healthiest via cannabinoids in there acid form (wet)

my last suggestion is to save the stalks and the root ball when you are ready to hang.  get 190 proof organic alcohol and soak the roots in a dark cold area for 1-3 months.   Id get 5 gallons.  you can use that alcohol as your all around healing elixir.  far more effective than tylenol, advil, motrin or steroids.  it will reverse scar tissue and inflammation in short order.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 02:10:06 PM »
nuttin!

nice to hear from you

hope youre doing well
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 06:15:10 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I've been using the leaves as I prune and thin the plant for both vaping and making tea. I vape them raw off the plant at 290 degs and then save them to use in tea. I usually drink a cup before bed. I wish I didn't have to rely on anything but life would be pretty miserable without it.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 06:57:32 AM »
Thanks for the info guys...  Even tho' I am inching closer to my expiration date, I have had little experience with THC. (I learned some watching High Maintenance on HBO)  I pretty much followed Bill - a night user 'till I discovered this shoulder use.  I am headed over to the beach after low tide and will supplement my Naproxen with a rub.  I had thought about using it to 'calm down' for that first half hour in the water when I am all twitchy and stiff...  Naaa. 

Thanks, 'nuthin.  Most of that is waaay too complicated for me, but most of the 2oz jars they sell - I believe (it is not with me) contains only 100mg total of THC/CBD.  I'd have to rub the whole $30. worth, no?!  (a Val's Organics tincture was 250mg. per 2oz.)

Bill,  You may not have 'old man's leg cramps' at night, but both my primary and cardiologist said: 400mg, one each morning/night shuts down the cramping (for the most part) and help with cardio rhythms*.  Before that, I would get 'racked' with calf and thigh lock-ups nobody could sleep thru.

Jim

*AliveCor has just released their 6-lead ECG. (inbound)  I found even the single lead really useful - better than a Holter Monitor.
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 07:29:24 AM »
I do indeed have geezer cramps, but mine are mostly from DVI, deep vein insufficiency, which is an expansion of leg veins that reduces the effectiveness of the one-way valves. Part genetics, part heavy dude. Compression socks mostly eliminate it (and dramatically reveals my fashion sense), doing a better job of hydrating helps with the rest, and taking some magnesium cleans up the last bit. All recommended by my vein doc who is a straight shooter and a fine doc. If I behave, I don't get cramps, if I don't...

400 mg of what?

Wing foiling is cranking up the pressure on my legs. Hopefully, when I get better at it (low bar) it will get easier, but right now a two-hour session leaves my knees, hips, and thighs aching. It clears up quickly and hasn't seemed to have led to night cramps, but the sample size is small and I'm sure I haven't paid all the dues that geezers pay for trying new things.

I took my fat-tire eBike up to post canyon yesterday after foiling and the continuous but moderate exercise made my legs feel better. So much so that I left the truck at the shop and rode the bike home. I might have discovered yet another "natural" remedy for geezer legs. Now I just need to avoid smashing up my knee like Julie Schrayer did. I had a bit of a close call when the front wheel washed out on one of the swoopy banked turns, but the bike recovered. Wasn't me--my reaction time was pitiful. The only "skill" I added was not grabbing the brakes, which was mostly because the incident was over before I thought of it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:31:55 AM by PonoBill »

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 12:51:45 PM »
^ good skill to have

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal