Stand Up Paddle > Technique

Time to get out and back to line-up

(1/3) > >>

Paddle On:
I work, and thus when on the water I milk every bit of each wave to the bitter end. All of the cool people catch a wave and then do a quick turn when the 1st section finishes, remain standing and head back out to the line-up. Any general rules for when to bail?

Also, since I am goofy and live in California I surf back side 92% of the time and find it much harder to turn back out on backside than frontside.

Badger:
Backside 92% of the time? Are there no lefts in California?   :o

I always pull out rather than ride the whitewater. Riding the whitewater is not surfing. The only time I do it is when heading in to shore. I pull out the moment the wave looks like it's going to break in front of me. If it's a close out beach break, this can make for some very short rides but it's better than getting caught in the whitewater. I hate beach breaks for this reason.

I'm goofy and my home break is a left, so I rarely ride back side. It's something I need to work on. Since getting my new 10'6, my rights have improved dramatically. I've been riding shorter boards for five years and this bigger board is really helping to improve my technique.

OkiWild:
Don't worry about what the cool kids are doing. Do what makes you happiest.

If it's bumpin' and I don't feel like paddling back out through breaking waves, kick out before it closes out. If it's small and clean, I'll ride it until it dumps me. Changes with conditions.

Back-side kick out is just like a front side cut-back, except going up hill. So you need to have enough speed to do it, because the board is going to stall easier. If fast enough, I put the paddle behind me, and lean into it like a bottom turn that doesn't end; just up and over. If slower, I'll pivot off the tail, and use a sweep stroke to turn the board harder. Trick is to end in a neutral balance position, which takes lots of practice.

Paddle On:
There are only a few lefts here in Nor-cal (that are not beach break) and these only break with a specific swell.

Speed, I am guessing that is the first component I am lacking for a kick out. I have been trying to perform a pivot turn from a standstill. I think it is time to start.

Thanks

TallDude:
Backside kick outs do feel awkward to me as well, but it's really just a mental thing. Even though it feels awkward I always make it. If I feel I can't make it, I'll bury my paddle down the face and cut back. If I feel I'm far enough up the face to make it, I'll bury my paddle across my front hip and brace hard (or brake hard) with it. I rarely kick out backside with any speed. It definitely feels less natural to me. SoCalSupper's wife just switched foot every time because she didn't like going backside :D

If it does close out on you, here's an old thread that shows you how to deal with it. https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,32358.msg362562/topicseen.html#msg362562

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version