Author Topic: SUS kook needs fin advice after hilariously disastrous session  (Read 14267 times)

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
SUS kook needs fin advice after hilariously disastrous session
« on: September 22, 2019, 07:13:52 AM »
So yesterday I finally got out to do some sup surfing. Getting out is kinda hard these days with a 5 month old at home. Anyway, I headed to Narraganset town beach in RI. In the afternoon. I was the only guy out on a SUP. (No worries for the local SUS community. I patiently waited for my turn and stayed away from the surfers as much as possible.) I caught a couple of waves when this happened: After catching a wave I was trying to get back out. First I got hit by a wave and my prescription sunglasses were gone. Of course they didn’t have a floatie because I thought the strap was tight enough. Lesson 1: no sunglasses straps are ever tight enough. Then while searching for my glasses a wave grabbed my board and hit me in the ass with it. The hit was so hard that one of the thrusters fell off. Needless to say that was gone too, though I’m pretty sure I tightened the thing pretty good. No worries though my ass is ok and still has just one hole (may be tmi for some, sorry). With this awesome performance I bow in front of you and just imagine that applause keeps coming. 😂😂
So now I need some new thrusters. I have a 8’11” fanatic allwave and my skill level is beginnerish when it somes to SUS. I get out surfing a hand full of times a year and mostly paddle lakes and do SUP races in the NE area. I’m looking for some setup that would help improve my skill level. Thank you.
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUS kook needs fin advice after hilariously disastrous session
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 11:16:28 AM »

I'm a big fan of ProTeck Fins ("Performance" Model), the design for safety which has flexible leading and trailing edges - like a dolphin, they maneuver very well!

I've retrofitted all my SUS boards with them:

(1) Safety - avoid nasty fin cuts on your head and body
(2) Safety - avoid nicks and cuts on your leash which can lead to leash failure when you need it the most
(3) Performance - perhaps not the highest performance available, but better than most OEM fins IMHO

I have them on my Fanatic AllWave 9'10' - they work  great!

Search for ProTeck Fins on Amazon, or buy direct from Surfco Hawaii
https://surfcohawaii.com/performance-fins/

MAX

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 01:30:45 PM »
Hi

I would agree that the safety of Protec fins is fantastic for beginner level and up. I used the Protec fins a lot early in my SUP surfing journey, the performance of these fins is ok and more than good enough to advance your skills to a intermediate sort of level. Fin lacerations are a real hazard for all surfers and a huge risk until you gain good control of your board including how to fall off it. Once your skills have advanced you will find a significant improvement in performance moving to a good quality fin. I certainly saw this when I moved on to Quoba and CDrive fins. I do sand the edges of these fins but acknowledge that there is an increased risk of serious injury when compared to the Protec. I still use Protec fins when lending my boards out to beginners and family.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 08:51:13 PM »
Hi Foilman, since you are a learning, you won't be turning very hard for a while, so you may appreciate a fin setup that will be more forgiving.

The sides that come with an Allwave are fine.... unless you lost one of those.

The fin setup I use almost all the time is big sidebites and small center fin.... with very little "rake" (curve or arc)

The big sides hold well and provide drive
The 4.65" center has a short base and lowrake, which allows the board to turn easily, with very little power needed.
and yet I was carving head high waves with this setup yesterday, with zero slippage and plenty of drive.... yet super loose and forgiving.

If your Allwave has a quad option.... you could also try some very small trailers (back fins) around 3.5"

This is the setup I find so amazing these days..... my sides are pretty big... over 5", but not even sure what they are.

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 07:44:40 AM »
Something I really enjoyed, and tried after reading an old post from supthecreek was a twin fin setup on my allwave. seems to really have helped me get into waves better. They were $40 from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AVE4IU2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I don't even have a center fin, although maybe I'll try it.

here is the post form supthecreek:

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=22466.0
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 09:39:29 AM »
Hey At least you were out there giving it hell

I can get you a set of Stock AW fins just give me a call after 3pm 484 515 5758
Aloha Talk to you soon
JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 04:47:05 PM »
Jim, I'm struggling to find the right fin set-up on my 9.1 Prowave. Can you get me the fins that Creek is using?
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 05:21:45 AM »
Jorge, all the fins I am now using are discontinued.... but there are work-a-rounds

JimK.... maybe you can find Jorge something that matches the following specs (the pivot center is the tough find in Futures)

The Sides are big old Mark Richards Twins... FCS MR-TX
Here are the original Specs:
FLAT FOIL
A flat inside face combined with a convex outside face. The traditional flat sided foil offers an even combination of drive, pivot and hold and provides a very consistent, reliable feel over a wide variety of conditions.
Tech Specs
TWIN
*       Base: 5.06 in, 128mm
*       Depth: 5.55 in, 141mm
*       Area: 21.06 sq in, 13590 sq mm
*       Sweep: 32.1°
*       Foil: Flat
STABILIZER
*       Base: 3.31 in, 84mm
*       Depth: 3.34 in, 85mm
*       Area: 8.23 sq in, 5307 sq mm
*       Sweep: 29.1°
*       Foil: Flat

Since your Prowave has Futures boxes, I found what I Think are the equivilent sides
Futures Ft 1 Honeycomb Twin Fin

The Center is the special sauce IMO.... but it is from a VERY old fin set developed by Simon Anderson in 1980.....that was discontinued decades ago, and every replacement is a compromise IMO.... except the full set I found listed below the specs
FCS H-2
The "sweep" is what seems to me the magic.... it's like a "pivot" fin (see pic on my board)
Tech specs on that are: (toe and cant are for the SIDEs. none on the center)

FCS H2 Medium Fins Size:
Base: 4.22 in. 107 mm
Depth: 4.65 in. 118 mm
Surface Area: 13.95 in.˛ 9000 mm˛
Sweep: 36.5°
Cant: 10°
Toe Angle: .5°

I found this remake set  for FCS.... but haven't found anything for Futures
https://www.thesurfboardwarehouse.com/p-17-fcs-fins-glass-flex-h2brused-from-finaticbrfree-shipping.aspx

The sides provide great drive and control, since they are designed as "Twins"
I am adding some pics of work-a-round fins I have purchased, but haven't tested yet. (I think the Pacific Vibrations fins also come in Futures)

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 07:45:36 AM »
Creek, Thank you, brother!! I'll get the twins right away and start looking for the secret-sauce-center (some alliteration for Pono). Jorge
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal