Author Topic: Gong's paddle clip  (Read 9683 times)

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
Gong's paddle clip
« on: March 27, 2009, 09:59:18 AM »
THose guy gotta storm in da brain!

ian

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Gong's paddle clip
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 11:07:52 AM »
just to add to this thread,this fella has a clip for his paddle on his shorts, he clips the paddle to himself then prone paddles his shortboard until he's riding the wave when he then unclips the paddle and surfs like a paddleboarder.least i think thats whats happening. :-\

http://www.gongsup.com/Real-Paddlesurf.html?lang=fr

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 11:35:49 AM »
Yes Ian! You've got it! first post, first point, welldone!  :D

Don't ya think this board is too small for da paddle?

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 01:16:29 PM »
just to add to this thread,this fella has a clip for his paddle on his shorts, he clips the paddle to himself then prone paddles his shortboard until he's riding the wave when he then unclips the paddle and surfs like a paddleboarder.least i think thats whats happening. :-\

A couple of times when I've been SUPing my normal spot, while paddleing back to the line up, I've handed off my paddle off to a friend who was up and surfing on a short board. Really pretty fun for him.

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 04:38:29 AM »
interesting concept which alows a good combination of both sports. i still prefer the idea of knee paddling like Blane used to do back in the day. you can still use smaller boards when knee paddling (although not as small as prone paddling) and get the advantage of the paddle the whole time. i believe this style could gain in popularity.

Tunico Lage

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 08:30:04 PM »

The photos are nice but...I really don't get it...the paddle only gets on the way while doing short board moves. The only use would be to paddle to pass a fat section on the wave were a shortboard would sink. Any other use?

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 08:51:43 AM »
The photos are nice but...I really don't get it...The only use would be to paddle to pass a fat section on the wave were a shortboard would sink. Any other use?

I did this idea 2 years ago with a longboard & a shortboard and found some "advantages & disadvantages. .

With a short board I found myself fumbling around with trying put in a stroke. You see while taking off on a wave your already at the peak.......you prone paddle, stand up, read the section of the wave, and trying to get your paddle and put in a stroke ALL at the same time..........that was hard for me.

Also the board has so much speed that it's hard to put in a stroke. And like you said Tunico Lage "the paddle only gets on the way while doing short board moves".

But there's an advantage to a clip......... :)
On a longboard since you can (prone) paddle and get on it early you'll be able to stand, un-clip, and still be able to read the section or before it breaks. You'll be able to power into turns alot faster, harder, and tighter then normal.....due to the paddle advantage.

Doing this with a long board is fun and when your done with the wave, clip it back to your shorts and prone paddle back out....

Now there's a disadvantage.......... :(
If you turtle or duck dive threw heavy white water......make sure that you stay in control. If you get thrown back due to heavy white water......you'll be throw into your paddle. And if you get hit in the head......well it could turn ugly, not mention that you could also get tangle up with your leash..........but all you "leash-less" longboarders need not worry about that.

There you go! This is my take on a clip based off my experience.....oh I forgot to mention it's also GOOD for you SUP'er too. If you need to paddle back out with your SUB and its to windy or a bit to much to bear while paddling out to the line up, just clip, and prone your way out.

And this one time my leash broke so I had to swim for my board, I clipped the paddle to my shorts and swam in. That really came in handy.

Anyway hope this was helpful......Just putting in my 2cents & sharing my Mana'o........Mahalo!!!

Aloha........Sam
P.S. Does anyone want to see a vid on how I did this......Longboard only
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 09:00:54 AM by Sam Pa'e »

Bolt Upright

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 09:07:06 AM »
Yep,
I like see

Randy

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 10:22:05 AM »
Yep,
I like see

Randy

+1

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 02:36:37 PM »

Yep,
I like see
Randy

+1
Anyone else...............Majority rules.. ;D

Aloha......Sam

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 10:26:09 PM »
roll the vid and stop teasing us. thank you Sam...

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 07:27:30 AM »
:D :D :D :D :D :D.........That's funny......
roll the vid and stop teasing us. thank you Sam...

OK...... give me sometime I need to go out and film. Then I'll post.

Aloha....Sam

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 09:52:35 PM »
I think it's great backup for something like a leg rope failure for the long swim in or if you get caught inside it gives you 2 arms to deal with the board while you are getting belted.

I love the idea.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:02:35 PM by Piros »
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

Tunico Lage

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 09:02:04 AM »
I think it's great backup for something like a leg rope failure for the long swim in or if you get caught inside it gives you 2 arms to deal with the board while you are getting belted.

I love the idea.

Now that's make sense to me! Anyone has pictures or a drawing of how to (safely) attach the paddle to yourself?
Maybe just a small elastic loop to quickly wrap around the paddle's handle...

And to take a beating, it's better to have the paddle attached to the side of the hip or the back?
I can imagine very bad things in large waves...

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • MSN Messenger - roloar08@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 09:39:33 AM »
Now that's make sense to me! Anyone has pictures or a drawing of how to (safely) attach the paddle to yourself?
Maybe just a small elastic loop to quickly wrap around the paddle's handle...

And to take a beating, it's better to have the paddle attached to the side of the hip or the back?
I can imagine very bad things in large waves...

Tunico,

Check out the shortcut posted by Ian: http://www.gongsup.com/Real-Paddlesurf.html?lang=fr

[]'s,
Bob.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal