Author Topic: Freshie Alert! Instructional Part 2 Foil Wing Control with Dan Gavere  (Read 4442 times)

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
I just finished another video I hope you guys like it.   8)

https://youtu.be/oXUHaERf3wA
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks Dan
This will be helpful when my SPG arrives
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
I notice at the very end that you did a quick switch foot on the foil after you tacked. It seems like some people are not switching feet. Which is more common?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
I think we can look to kite foilers for the answer. About 50/50 those who switch feet and those who only ride their favored surf stance. I never switch my feet.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Email
I notice at the very end that you did a quick switch foot on the foil after you tacked. It seems like some people are not switching feet. Which is more common?
I don't know what is more common but to me naturally, I like to switch my feet.  IMO some people don't like to move their feet too much to switch so they stay planted and ride the toeside on their offside reach.  \ 8)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Moving the feet is not the issue. It’s a surfer thing. Most of us are better surfing one way.

I hate foiling goofy foot so much..... I’ve actually have my windsurf foilboard set with a asymmetric strap setup. Less aggressive on my goofy side tack.

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
@dwight. Switching feet is really easy wingfoiling, esp versus kitefoiling.  Ken and I use a waist leash. I kite-foil a bit, and can’t really switch feet.  The first day using the wing with the supfoil, I could easily switch my feet jibing.  I don’t scissor either.  I think holding onto the wing when you fall you stay away from the hydrofoil.  So Ken and I tried the supfoil with a kite, to see if switching feet kiting on the sup was easier, and that was harder overall long boring analysis.  Ken uses me to see if the rest of the world can do stuff, if I can then most others will easily succeed:)  He can make anything work.  He does flying kite jibes and tacks, but says it’s the hardest and most people can’t. 
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I'm struggling with switchfoot, in part because my front strap is set offset to accommodate my left foot, and getting my foot in the strap is my security blanket. I'm going to try moving the strap to the centerline with no offset, and at the same time, I'll use a longer strap so I can move my foot back a little to power up on the foil instead of popping up. I did that a few times by keeping my foot out of the strap, and I liked it, but I had a little less control once I got up--or at least I told myself I did.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
There is a difference!  Ken and I and Sky Solbach etc don’t use any straps. No need with a wing.  They would use straps to SUP foil but not with the Foilwing
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Foiling foot switches are the holy grail in kitefoiling. Super stylish way to jibe, tack or transition. The best wingfoilers will be doing them for sure. Nice vid Dan!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 06:16:06 AM by cnski »

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Freshie Alert! Instructional Part 2 Foil Wing Control with Dan Gavere
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 01:16:38 PM »
Dropped another instructional video.  Enjoy.  More on the way.  Let me know what you would like to see?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95X4wlWAiWs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95X4wlWAiWs

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Freshie Alert! Instructional Part 2 Foil Wing Control with Dan Gavere
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 01:44:48 AM »
Hi Dan,

These are great vids.  I will put in my vote for tips specific to getting foiling with the new wings.  Stance, points of sail, foil placement, the whole deal.  I think that would likely be the big one for new riders. 

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal