Author Topic: Basic SUP Instruction  (Read 5588 times)

climbbikesurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Basic SUP Instruction
« on: October 03, 2007, 09:22:38 AM »
I found a basic instructional video on youtube.  It has good basic information and shot in warm, clear water.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5-7rDavdJGs

Blane Chambers

Re: Basic SUP Instruction
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 09:38:23 AM »
Very nicely done!        Thanks to the guys who put it together...   

Aloha,
Blane

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 10:53:36 AM »
wonder when Ivan's is coming out...?

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 05:17:46 PM »
        Thats a great intro to paddle surfing.  Very basic, complete beginings on getting started. I would say its the ABC"s of basic SUP.   
     John Denny lives on Maui with his family. Splits his time between there and West Palm Beach, Fla. where he and his cousin Kane Baker started up 
eastcoast paddle surfing site. They are dealers here on the east for SOSshapes (Sean Ordonz Shapes)  SUBs. There website is below. They supply the SOS boards , Big Red, Blue and Green, Uli board and have access in obtaining the Laird (surftech) and  Angulo boards. The also supply paddles and accessories needed for SUP surfing.   They are a great group of people who have opened their hearts and home to me. They exemplify the true meaning of what ''Ohana'' is to the islands and shared that with all they have contact with, especially here in the East Coast. I'm a low key rep for them here in the lower coastal Carolina's/ Georgia area. What fun I'm having.
     I've been lucky enough to have discovered  this sport, head over heels stoked on the sport  and now I can share and pass on my experiences l've had to many others.   Thats the greatest gift of all is seeing smiles on their faces, excitement in the words of gratitude and new friends that have walked into my life.    Thats priceless

www.eastcoastpaddlesurfing.com
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 05:49:59 PM »
You are the SOS rep for the east coast?

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 08:22:13 PM »
I would not say I'm a full-on rep for the SOS boards but I do have a small inventory of three boards left;  (2 SOS Blues and one SOS Big Red),  two Pohaku  9'' carbon fiber 1 pc paddles and one (L.H.)quick blade paddle, couple of pads,  paddle bag cover and 1 mule  board carrier left. I also have a small fleet of demo boards I use to give free lessons and maybe obtain potential buyers or at least ''stoke them out".  I do this as a part time gig between my full-time catering chef's position.   I take trips down to Fl. to p/u product when needed and get a few SUP sessions too.  I help John and Kane to promote Stand Up in my area. This keeps me involved  and closer to the sport.  I can not put into words how this involvement in SUP surfing has enriched my life.
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 02:53:17 AM »
i recently got a chance to view the full-length SUP instructional video dvd from Real Kiteboard (and Jimmy Lewis, I think).  The production values are top notch, as is the instruction, but it's totally aimed at the total beginner.  i am a beginner with about 2 months experience and i only learned two small things from the dvd: step forward more during the take off and go into surfer stance while paddling over white water.
    the ivan one is coming in two volumes, beginner-intermediate and advanced, with the b-i one arriving first.  think i'll wait for the second, however, and skip the first ... unless somebody reviews it here and it turns out to be a must have.
   (if ivan is the featured rider on the two, then the two will be worth having; his style is something else again ...)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal