Author Topic: What'd'ya think of this blade shape?  (Read 5411 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
What'd'ya think of this blade shape?
« on: July 18, 2007, 03:57:01 PM »
While slowly trying to save money for a *real* SUP paddle, I've been trying, with varying degrees of success, to refashion some of my old kayak paddles into something workable for SUP. One blade shape I'm wondering about is the shape of the Onno in the pix below:

Forget the blue paddle; it's the black one I'm talking about. (And I've since done better than the PVC handle on it). At its widest, it's 9" and as maybe you can see, it's got a bit of a cup to it. What do you think of its shape for SUP use?

p.s. I posted roughly this same message on another sup board, where it hasn't gotten much response.  thought i might try here as well.  please to exuse the duplication!

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: What'd'ya think of this blade shape?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 04:26:22 PM »
Hi Linter,
Compare it to this one made by infinity:

here is the link http://www.infinitysurfboard.com/stand-up-paddle to the page I grabbed this from.  Scroll down for some action pics of this paddle in use, and the manufacturer descriptions of each of their models.

In short, your paddle blade seems very similar to some of those.  Use it, try some stand up specific paddles as you go, and upgrade when it becomes possible. 

Best,
Randy

Lightning Bolt Maui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 04:34:27 PM »
I think you can make due with almost any paddle. It will limit your progression I would imagine.
    I have also heard of guys who use old blades and buy the fiberglass handle for a paint roller for the shaft and mount a handle to that. Saw one yesterday. It was a yellow handle and worked great. He paddled 9 miles with me with his paint roller paddle.  I am going to use this for my broken paddle to give it a second life. I hope this helps.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 05:39:22 PM »
thanks, guys, very helpful indeed.  i think i'll give the onno a go with the better shaft and see how it works.  one of the (few) unfortunate things about where i live in new england is, not one surf shop i can think of nearby has any selection of SUP paddles to sell, much less to demo.  but this sport is evolving so quickly, the wisest thing might be to wait a little while and see how the various designs all shake out.  thanks again!

Lightning Bolt Maui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 06:00:02 PM »
If you need a new paddle and cant find one back east drop me a email or call the shop we have been shipping paddles back east almost every other week to customers from Montauk to Miami so far.
(808) 877-3484
onlineorders@lightningboltmaui.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal