Author Topic: Multi Year Fin Experiment on "no Toe"(straight) Fins  (Read 164066 times)

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Multi Year Fin Experiment on "no Toe"(straight) Fins
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 09:05:40 AM »
Fin toe is just one part of the overall recipe of the board. No toe can work great or it can totally ruin a board. All parts of design need to be considered including rocker, outline. foil, thickness. etc. The riders style must also be considered. Fishes with straight toe are just blindingly fast
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2019, 01:17:02 PM »
These look like no-toe. I'll have to swing by their shop and see.
I dropped by the Infinity shop and all the fin boxes in the RNB are parallel (no toe-in), so those are just standard fins.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2019, 09:48:39 PM »
Fin toe is just one part of the overall recipe of the board. No toe can work great or it can totally ruin a board. All parts of design need to be considered including rocker, outline. foil, thickness. etc. The riders style must also be considered. Fishes with straight toe are just blindingly fast

Agreed, I tested a lot of set-ups with Dean Geraghty's 4WFS (Four way fin system) which allowed you change cant, toe, back & forth + fins. I used it in surfboards, SUPs and kiteboards. On kiteboards you learn the most because of the number of waves you get + plenty of straight lining.

Straight fins will give you speed, cant and toe is there to assist when board is on the rail. Every board is different, what works on one doesn't necessarily work on the next. No toe never worked for me on any board except when I was wanting to go fast - for turning you lose a lot of grip.

The standard fin setting used by most shapers is at best a glorified "best compromise".

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 04:35:22 AM »
    There are so many factors that can work together to make a board "good". A good board can be bad if it's not in wave conditions that suit it. I have tried more boards than most, I fear. Most of which, at this point, I have tried with straight fins. I used an example earlier in this thread that highlighted this good board/bad board idea. The stun Gun is a good board in powerful, larger waves, as a stock board. With straight fins it became a fun board in smaller, less powerful waves, but a terrible board with big waves.
   4WFS, and others that have experimented with "No Toe" seem to have found the same thing. Being able to adjust your "Toe in" is a tool to make your board more versatile in average, east coast waves, or weak waves anywhere. Having experimented with this for several years and on many different boards, I am sold on straight fins, and usually only put "toe in" for waves that are large and powerful. Although sometimes I'll run straight fins in large waves that are "sectiony" or just need more speed to beat the lip.
    As for board design and straight fins, remember, JP makes boards of every shape, size and thickness, and they all have straight fins, and they work well. That doesn't mean every board will work as well as the next with straight fins, but the list of boards I have tried is long and varied, and most have worked very well.

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2019, 04:42:01 AM »
As I described above, I have tried straight fins in a lot of boards from a variety of manufacturers. Here are a few pics of some of those boards on a wave.

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2019, 04:47:01 AM »
The pics

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2019, 04:53:14 AM »
A few more boards:

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2019, 08:57:00 AM »
@jarvissup

So what do you think of the JL supertech with no toe in? Thanks, interested.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2019, 09:49:32 AM »
The JL Super Tech was good, that's a good board and it worked well with "no toe". Truth be told I had a non-carbon 8'3", and sold it before I started this experiment. Then I bought a Carbon model 8'3" with this in mind. It worked perfectly and was super fast. I has some great sessions on that board last summer in Hatteras.

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2019, 09:56:19 AM »
On a similar note, I sold one of the Imagine 8'4" Impact boards. The difference between that board I sold and others Impact's was that I had removed the fin boxes and replaced them with "no toe", so that any fins installed would be straight. I told that to the guy who bought it, and he just said, "Cool". Anyway, he took it and his family to Baja for the winter, and wrote me calling it his "magic board". I don't think he really took to heart what I was telling him about the fin set up when he bought it, he just knew it was the best board he had ridden. Unfortunately, he broke the board, and now it's a bit heavier.

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2019, 05:29:34 AM »
Great thread. I have FCS fins but it’s great to learn about the physics of it all. I thought about buying a super tech but decided against it because of its slow wave performance.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2019, 04:28:20 PM »
The JL Super Tech was good, that's a good board and it worked well with "no toe". Truth be told I had a non-carbon 8'3", and sold it before I started this experiment. Then I bought a Carbon model 8'3" with this in mind. It worked perfectly and was super fast. I has some great sessions on that board last summer in Hatteras.

i usually put my 9'1 ST away for the summer- but going to dig through my fins and see if I can replicate this.  Great thread Jarvis!

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2019, 04:30:01 PM »
Great thread. I have FCS fins but it’s great to learn about the physics of it all. I thought about buying a super tech but decided against it because of its slow wave performance.

And yes.  the ST is much like the STun Gun.  It needs a real wave (waist at least) for it to have fund as most of the speed generated is during the turns (Especially I have found the first bottom turn) not pointing it down the line.

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2019, 05:55:53 PM »
NorthJerz,

No need to replicate, though messing with fins is a fun hobby. If you go to this link, you can buy a set for a lot less than it costs to make them at home. Even with the best epoxy, and a good aluminum base mold, the fins I converted were not nearly as strong as the ones created in Asia at the factory.

http://riptidefins.com/

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2019, 10:44:28 AM »
I had the good fortune to test a proto no cant no toe set of quads in my Infinity 8'5" RNB.

Noticed a HUGE improvement in small mushy winter wave.

Much easier and faster paddling, and way faster.

I liked them so much I declined to return them to the artisan...

So much for testing! LOL!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal