Author Topic: Xterra Blow up paddle boards that leak  (Read 1765 times)

Bikemonster

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Xterra Blow up paddle boards that leak
« on: July 01, 2019, 11:38:08 AM »
If you want a paddleboard that will fall apart in 18 to 20 months then the Xterra 12.5 touring  board is perfect for you.

It’s a shame, we really loved our Xterra boards, we were truly sold on this product.

My wife and I purchased our first Xterra board in the fall of 2015, the board started leaking at the seams in the summer of 17, We reached out to Xterra,l and found receptive professional service from a nice young lady named Stephanie.
At that time Stephanie provided exceptional customer service,  I shipped back my board per her request end it was deemed unfixable due to a manufacturing problem and was offered a demo/used board for a replacement. While I wanted a new board for replacement I took the demo and the 12 month warrantee and hopped for the best.

Well 18 months later the demo board started leaking at the seams in the same place. I reached out to Xterra, received an email and marginal customer service at best. The excuses were endless; I’m working from home and can’t do anything this week, I can’t  find your order even though I emailed both board serial numbers and all correspondence from the past he still couldn’t find our boards. In the end I was offered $100 discount off a new board and was told that was the best they could do.

Being an educated consumer I reached out to the owner of Xterra Keith Simmons to come up with a more acceptable intervention. Keith stated “we are not sending you free boards for life, we already warranted one board and we’re not going to do another one” and then threaten to hang up on me.  I attempted to discuss the matter with him, trying to come up with an acceptable agreement for both parties and he refuse to do anything but sell me a new board. It didn’t matter that two boards fell apart within 40 months, Keith was clear, he was not going to intervene so I terminated the call and published this review

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Xterra Blow up paddle boards that leak
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 01:03:40 PM »
Welcome to the Zone.. I guess? 18 to 20 months and they still gave you something in return is going beyond. They state a one year money back warranty. I'm probably wasting my time, but Drop stitch construction comes in different levels of durability / life span. I've owned the best (ULI) and mine lasted for years. My brother watched a brand new cheapo just out of the box, pop within 20 minutes of being inflated for the first time. If you buy a hard board and put a ding in it in the first few days, you don't return it, you repare it. And I've repair almost everyone of my hard boards a bunch of times. They sell repair kits for drop stitch boards. If you repair it, you could still use it.
A lot of sup companies have exited the inflatable market for just this reason. They are not that durable and do leak over time. The environment where and how they are stored is a big variable, as to their life span. Water inside the board can quickly rot the fabric and cause it to fail. It's pretty common.

Maybe your next board should be a hardboard. Same thing applies to durability with hard boards. Some will be indestructible and you'll pay for it. Others like cheap POP outs you'll be repairing every time you bump it into something.

Purchasing an inflatable is a gamble......
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 01:09:08 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 04:20:15 AM »
Purchasing an inflatable is a gamble......

I would change that to "purchasing a cheap inflatable is a gamble..." Inflatables from reputable companies are a solid investment, and fill a couple of very valuable niches for paddlers. I had a very similar experience with Aqua Marina, but I also cheaped out when I went with that company.....never again.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 08:01:13 PM »
I’ve had a Coreban (same factory and model as Naish One) for over 6 years (I think.) It retailed at $1,200 new.

Good inflatables are fine. Cheap ones are as reported here.

Sorry you got burned man. What did those things cost originally?

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 04:31:33 PM »
If you want a paddleboard that will fall apart in 18 to 20 months then the Xterra 12.5 touring  board is perfect for you. It’s a shame, we really loved our Xterra boards, we were truly sold on this product.

Yea that is a shame. I've been onboard w/Xterra wetsuits for a few years now and they are really way sweet. My 2mil short sleeve full was $90 and my 4/3 full was only $75! Get on the mailing list and when the specials arrive inbox jump on em, don't hesitate. Pretty sure they're online only w/out a bunch of useless and costly ads in magazines.
I'm guessing those boards you bought are not as bullet proof as the suits so they probably did you right replacing w/a demo board after all that time. If you have any pictures of your Xterra inflatable boards please post them here. YOU HAVE OUR UNDIVIDED ATTENTION AND INTEREST.
Looks like they only have a coupla boards available at present and have ditched offering any inflatable sups. Nice looking shrtbrds for sure.

https://www.xterrasurf.com/collections/solid-surfboards/products/solid-xterra-8-disfish-bioflex-board

I've owned the best (ULI)
Ya get what ya pay for and ULI is def THE best and last word for inflatables. Just ask capobeachboy! Pretty sure this model (Mini quad) is no longer in production. I loved it!

https://youtu.be/RfFhxX_Q2Tk
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 04:35:11 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 05:57:24 PM »
I’ve got an ULI that must be around 10 years old now. It’s still going strong. It is crazy heavy though, by today’s standards. Ultra Light Inflatables? Not really. Ultra durable, maybe. Should have been UDI not ULI.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal