Stand Up Paddle > Sessions

Spring Small Wave Blues

(1/2) > >>

OkiWild:
This spring has been a nightmare. The westerly wind band that blows between Hawaii and here is way south, so the swell has been really small. The local wind has been south to southeast, making the coast facing east too beat up to surf, but the swell is too small to wrap into wind-protected areas...

Wind finally dropped a little and switched to SSW, so I was able to surf Friday, Saturday, and today, taking a little video today with POV. Still small at waist to chest, but took probably 35 waves, so I'm set for a few days ;-)

Just under 5 minute video. Really short rides, so actual surfing is slowed to .7 speed.

Riding the Blue Planet NP10 at 10' x 28" x 128L. Awesome board for these conditions.

FRP:
Beautiful day! Clear water and nice rides. Looks like heaven. Thanks for posting.

Bob

Night Wing:
That was nice video.

I've got a question. Were you surfing those waves with a 3 fin setup? If it was me, I would experiment and surf those waves with a 4 fin quad setup.

BTW, thanks for sharing your video.

OkiWild:

--- Quote from: Night Wing on June 30, 2019, 09:55:34 AM ---That was nice video.

I've got a question. Were you surfing those waves with a 3 fin setup? If it was me, I would experiment and surf those waves with a 4 fin quad setup.

BTW, thanks for sharing your video.

--- End quote ---

Thanks NW. Yes, a thruster with Futures GL2 fins. Center fin leading edge 6.5" behind side fins leading edge. I've tried this board with the GL2 quad and it felt really stiff to turn in the small stuff. Needs a big open face and power for those. Ho-Stevie quad with pretty small second fins turned much better, but feels like a Japanese shopping cart (all four casters swivel) if not on a rail. Single fin pivots just like you'd expect it to. For days like this, the center could stand to be moved up a little, or a smaller center fin, for sure. Thought it was going to be bigger than it was... 

TallDude:
It's good to see the raw footage with all the sounds and surrounding sights. I personally like seeing more than just the waves. Great spot there. The south wind for us pretty much blew our spring out too. Just now cleaning up nicely. Weekend crowds are crazy though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version