Author Topic: windwing timing and availability  (Read 3296 times)

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
windwing timing and availability
« on: June 19, 2019, 04:36:59 PM »
I would have thought all these companies could have planned the introduction of these sooner in the year.  They hit the instaeverythingbook pages mid April and everyone went nuts.  They were supposed to be out in June for the pre-orders and now hearing that most places are not getting them until July.  Now it seems like most of them are sold out if you did not put a deposit on the first batch.  If you live in the tropical latitudes, you are fine with getting one later. But the people in the northern latitudes could be out of luck until the next year.

Are any of these going to be available this summer to anyone who has not put a deposit on the first arriving batches.  I know Pono mentioned a place having a bunch of the 3m ones available but I think most people would be looking in the 4m-5m range.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: windwing timing and availability
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 04:52:23 PM »
From the shops that I've talked to it seems DuoTone was the first manufacturer to ship wind wings, with some shops already receiving their first batch of DuoTones. Unfortunately the first batch was in much smaller quantities than anticipated. The shop that I had mine reserve through were supposed to get a dozen of the 5M DuoTones, but they only got one 5M. And apparently DuoTone only shipped six 5M wings for the entire country in the first batch. So good luck getting one of those. 

Slingshot and Naish are supposed to ship their first batches in early July. It appears the theme is the same for all 3 manufacturers, they aren't shipping very many and if you haven't put a deposit down or reserved one, it's highly unlikely that you will get a 4M or 5M Wing (regardless of brand) before mid-August. It appears the 3M DuoTone may actually be available to buy now with delivery to your door by next week from a few shops that I've talked to.

By next summer I'm sure that all brands will have their Version 2's of the Wings out with lots of stock and they will have ironed out any kinks in design after everyones tried them and provides feedback. It's a shame that they couldn't get these wings released sooner this year for those of us living in cooler climates!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 05:52:40 PM »
The Duotone wings are very impressive. It's clear they didn't compromise quality to rush the wing to market--much more robust and sophisticated than the prototypes I tried on Maui a couple of months ago.

I've also seen the slingshot near-production sample and it looks very good. It has an inflatable trailing edge, battens, and the handles along the inflatable center spar are fairly rigid. Both are more impressive than the version of the Naish I tried.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 05:59:50 PM »
That wing looks awesome Pono! Can't wait to hear what you think of it on the water!

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 04:24:43 PM »
 ;D So this happened today... now just need to add wind. I'll be starting out just learning to fly it on a big sup board.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 05:27:52 PM »
;D So this happened today... now just need to add wind. I'll be starting out just learning to fly it on a big sup board.

Congrats, Cascade.  she is a beauty!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 06:52:10 PM »

Wow, that looks a lot better than the Naish prototype I tried.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 08:46:11 AM »
Cascadesup, how did you get it?  I preodered a couple on the first day but haven't heard anything yet. 

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 09:39:19 AM »
I got on a wait list at Big Winds, and then put in a deposit when they started taking orders. I think TJ said they got just 4 of the teal colored wings in this shipment.  I was surprised when he called, as I had checked in a couple weeks ago and was told there were manufacturing delays and it would probably be later in July.

Doug

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 10:05:13 AM »
And of course the river is a lake today. Makes me nutz.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal