Author Topic: WingSUP without a foil  (Read 16756 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: WingSUP without a foil
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 03:18:55 AM »
I really can't imagine this catching on without the foil. It might be a great way to learn how to use the wing but beyond that it looks like it would be frustratingly slow and boring even with a centerboard. I'd like to try it though.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 05:47:59 AM »
I can see a lot of people wanting one.  Particularly those who own larger SUP's.  Great fun for the whole family.  Super easy setup.  I can see them being common at lake/beach houses and as a popular rental/activity at resorts.  When we hand them to interested people on the beach they get an immediate smile.  It is a pleasant feeling.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 06:49:41 AM »
I think in a years time you'll see these wings being sold at Costco and West Marine. Jimmy Sykes will probably offer them in a sup package. They can't be much to produce and it's something a person could give a 1-3 meter sized wing to a child to play with.

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 02:37:12 PM »
Has anyone else been flying a wing with a plain-old-SUP board?  If you haven't tried it yet, I'd strongly suggest you have a plan for getting back to your start as blowing downwind seems to be a common problem.

I've been out a several times, gaining more control, but still not able to stay upwind.  I've also practiced flying the wing from a dock a few times, and I think that helps.

To get past the downwind problem, I've been paddling upwind to start.  I clip the center handle of the inflated wing to the handle of my SUP board so the wing rests on the board about a foot behind my feet.  It stays there just fine when paddling straight up wind.

This morning I measured the wind at 10 gusting to 16 mph, and I paddled 3/4 mile upwind to start sailing.  That's about as much wind as I want paddle against.  But I've found it easy to fly the wing in that wind, and you're just starting to feel some power in the wing.

When flying the wing, I've had best luck standing behind the handle, and weighting the upwind rail, like in the Naish photo below.   But if I have the wing out front and sheeting the back hand down, that makes me go further off the wind.  If I rotate so it feels like the wing is behind me, I can keep the board pointed higher.  But that's a awkward feeling position, and the wing seems less stable there.

If anyone is having better success, let us know what is working for you.  I'm particularly interested in the board and wing position.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 04:00:11 PM »
Has anyone else been flying a wing with a plain-old-SUP board?  If you haven't tried it yet, I'd strongly suggest you have a plan for getting back to your start as blowing downwind seems to be a common problem.

I've been out a several times, gaining more control, but still not able to stay upwind.  I've also practiced flying the wing from a dock a few times, and I think that helps.

To get past the downwind problem, I've been paddling upwind to start.  I clip the center handle of the inflated wing to the handle of my SUP board so the wing rests on the board about a foot behind my feet.  It stays there just fine when paddling straight up wind.

This morning I measured the wind at 10 gusting to 16 mph, and I paddled 3/4 mile upwind to start sailing.  That's about as much wind as I want paddle against.  But I've found it easy to fly the wing in that wind, and you're just starting to feel some power in the wing.

When flying the wing, I've had best luck standing behind the handle, and weighting the upwind rail, like in the Naish photo below.   But if I have the wing out front and sheeting the back hand down, that makes me go further off the wind.  If I rotate so it feels like the wing is behind me, I can keep the board pointed higher.  But that's a awkward feeling position, and the wing seems less stable there.

If anyone is having better success, let us know what is working for you.  I'm particularly interested in the board and wing position.
What I know about sailing can fit in a shot glass with room to spare, but...
I'd think I'd look for the biggest fin I could find and slide as far forward as possible and see if that helps with the up wind travel. I wonder is a straight up and down fin wouldn't be best? Or even mounting something like a gladiator fin backwards would help? I'm thinking just getteing you back foot behind the fin could help.
Didn't wind surfers at a time have a big fin near the center of the board to leverage against to go up wind?
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 04:23:34 PM »
If you're used to sailing a windsurfer upwind, you'll have no real problem using the wing to go upwind. A centerboard would make it very easy, or a ventral fin, but if you are used to using your rail as a keel and know how to keep the center of thrust of the wing rearward, then they go upwind just fine.

CascadeSup, try this. Stand on your board in a surf stance with your feet as close to the centerline as you are comfortable with. Get the wing flying, keep the nose up, and move the wing as far behind you as you can and still keep it flying. Steer the board upwind with your hips while you fly the wing to get power and keep the center of force as far back as you can. Don't try to steer the board with the wing, steer with your hips--the wing and board should be managed separately--maneuver the wing to get the most thrust you can get while keeping it raked aft. Steer the board where you want to go with your hips and feet.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 05:00:14 PM »
Fishman, I had the same thought and put a 34cm True Aims Slalom Pointer fin on today.  Hard to say how much difference it made as I'm doing different things with body and wing position too.  When windsurfing I can point pretty high without a centerboard, but the leverage with an attached mast and sail is pretty different.  And years of practice.

Bill, thanks for this, I'm taking notes. That gives me something to work on.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2019, 06:19:30 AM »
Fishman, I went with an 11" Allison pivot fin on my 10' board. That seem to make difference for me to some extent but also contributed to how much I can work the rails without falling off while trying to maneuver. Probably need a smaller board.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal